SASS Wire Forum

Small Pistol Primers

C. W. Knight # 47289L

I am sure that I have seen these questions answered before but I can't seem to locate the responses.  Has anybody used either UNIS GINEX or Aguila SPP in pistols set up for Federals?  Thanks, C.W.  :FlagAm:

I loaded 100 rounds of the Aguila SPP for my NMV's that are tuned and only have fired Federals through them up to this point. I did not have any issues with my 38 loads. All fired and performed the same as Federals. I bought 1000 for backup when I can't get Federals.

TM

I have shot about 5k ginex with no problems.  They are harder than a federal but not as hard as a cci.  If your gun will shoot winchesters you should be fine.  That being said Target Sports USA has federal small pistol in stock for $90/1k and is running a free shipping promo right now.  I haven't looked but Natches shooting supply has also had federal small pistol in stock pretty regularly.  

• Like 1

C.W.!! I believe Midsouth Shooter’s Supply has the Aguilas in stock.

You could pick those up and save both shipping and HAZMAT!!

EDIT:

OOPS!! Sold out!

Edited by Blackwater 53393

I've been shooting Ginex in rifle and pistol with no issues at all.  Rifle pistols are out-of-the-box Pietta GW-II's (with the light hammer springs).  All good.  I bought several thousand a couple of years ago when I couldn't find anything.. got lucky on these and as mentioned, they're working fine for me.

Forgot to mention these are SPP.

Edited by BenW
  • Like 2

Happy New Year, C. W.!

I got a flyer from Midsouth this morning!!  They have the UNIX in case units for $349.99 in stock!!

• Like 1

I have NOT had a good experience with Ginex primers.  The brisance or heat index is definitely different than the primers with which I am most familiar; Federal, Winchester, or CCI.

I have had decent experience with them out of rifle length barrels, but have had numerous instances of incomplete burns, up to and including bullet projectiles not being completely expelled, from pistol length barrels.

Your mileage may vary, but that is absolutely my experience.  And I'm not alone in this.

YPYMATYC...

FJT

• Like 1

Just gave away 800 Ginex SPP as door prizes at our Cowboy Christmas party. Nothing wrong with about 350 in my 9mm’s with factory springs, zero failures or issues. My cowboy guns had 5 light strike FTF that went off the second time around out of about 200 rounds. Blame it on light hammer springs rather than the primers. but have plenty of other primers so considered it an experiment and will stick with the Federals. 
Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

• Like 1

I will be carrying the Ginex primers. I’ve used myself and no issues in my Jimmy Spurs tuned NMV in 38s and Single Six 32s.  @LASSITER#2080 bought 5K… Saw him at Land Run and he said he’d shot about 3K without any failures. 

With Vista Outdoors raising prices (taking advantage of election year and a captive audience, in my opinion) and having sold to CSG Group in the Czech Republic for $1.9 Billion, I want to have another option. Might not be for everyone, but they’re no more than $75/1,000 all day long.  

Hugs!

Scarlett

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Scarlett said:

I will be carrying the Ginex primers. I’ve used myself and no issues in my Jimmy Spurs tuned NMV in 38s and Single Six 32s.  @LASSITER#2080 bought 5K… Saw him at Land Run and he said he’d shot about 3K without any failures. 

With Vista Outdoors raising prices (taking advantage of election year and a captive audience, in my opinion) and having sold to CSG Group in the Czech Republic for $1.9 Billion, I want to have another option. Might not be for everyone, but they’re no more than $75/1,000 all day long.  

Hugs!

Scarlett

I would support this ^^^^^
As I said earlier, no problem whatsoever in any of my 9mm guns with factory springs. And even in my cowboy guns I would attribute anything that popped up to springs with 25 thousand dry fires and probably 30 or more matches. 
I would not hesitate to get more but I currently have plenty of Federals (pre pandemic) so don’t need them for now. If I needed them you can bet that they will be coming from Miss Scarlett!!! a great supporter of our game and a genuinely nice Lady. 
Regards

Gateway Kid

On 1/4/2024 at 9:40 PM, Frederick Jackson Turner said:

I have NOT had a good experience with Ginex primers.  The brisance or heat index is definitely different than the primers with which I am most familiar; Federal, Winchester, or CCI.

I have had decent experience with them out of rifle length barrels, but have had numerous instances of incomplete burns, up to and including bullet projectiles not being completely expelled, from pistol length barrels.

Your mileage may vary, but that is absolutely my experience.  And I'm not alone in this.

YPYMATYC...

FJT

I can only agree with FJT. Ginex SPP are the cheapest primers in Europe. They ignite poorly and are very difficult to set. Really not a purchase recommendation.

• Like 1

I just picked up a 1000 Federal SPP for $89.00 at a LGS, just sayin'...........guess the prices are not coming down anytime soon or ever!

My LGS had the Ginex awhile back but I passed on them. They sold them out but have not restocked. They said a few folks were complaining about them.

4 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I just picked up a 1000 Federal SPP for $89.00 at a LGS, just sayin'...........guess the prices are not coming down anytime soon or ever!

My LGS had the Ginex awhile back but I passed on them. They sold them out but have not restocked. They said a few folks were complaining about them.

I don’t know about that!

I sell Federal SP for $80 per k when I go vending at a big match. I can still find them for that!

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Every try Remingtons? They shoulda been 69.99 on sale, unless that ended since Wednesday at Fin. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Renegade Plowboy said:

Every try Remingtons? They shoulda been 69.99 on sale, unless that ended since Wednesday at Fin. 

I have about 500 rounds loaded with Remingtons, got 1500 to go. They work

great but I can’t always find them. I don’t go to the Fin to often but I’ll look it up. Thanks ,

Edited by Rye Miles #13621

Natchez has the remingtons in stock for 69.99

i was at a gunshow this weekend , there was a table that had a good quantity of NOS federal large and small pistol primers , at $80/1000 , im not needing so i didnt even consider buying , sounds like i made a good call , 

13 hours ago, Jack Spade said:

Natchez has the remingtons in stock for 69.99

However it’s been my experience that people prefer Federal at a higher price than Remington-with a few exceptions!

I finally sold out all my Remingtons by selling them below cost!:(

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Tell Sackett SASS 18436 said:

However it’s been my experience that people prefer Federal at a higher price than Remington-with a few exceptions!

I finally sold out all my Remingtons by selling them below cost!:(

Exactly, I have about 6000 primers mixed. CCI, Remington and Federals. Anytime I see Federals I buy em ! 

Cabela's today and they had Federal small pistol primers. $95 per K.

Was there on Friday and they had them for $89. 

I skipped buying them both times. 

4 hours ago, Anvil Al #59168 said:

Cabela's today and they had Federal small pistol primers. $95 per K.

Was there on Friday and they had them for $89. 

I skipped buying them both times. 

Through December they had “member” Monday. If you bought primers or powder on a cabela’s card you got 15% off. Got Federals at $89 - 15% = $75.65 + tax = $81.85 otd. Then walked over to service counter and paid off card. TiteGroup 8 # at $209 - 15% = $177.65 + tax = $192.21 otd. Again walked over to pay off card. Could only get one of each but stopped by twice for primers and once for powder. Don’t know if they are continuing the program but something to check. 
Regards

Gateway Kid

PS our sales tax is 8.2%

6 hours ago, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

Through December they had “member” Monday. If you bought primers or powder on a cabela’s card you got 15% off. Got Federals at $89 - 15% = $75.65 + tax = $81.85 otd. Then walked over to service counter and paid off card. TiteGroup 8 # at $209 - 15% = $177.65 + tax = $192.21 otd. Again walked over to pay off card. Could only get one of each but stopped by twice for primers and once for powder. Don’t know if they are continuing the program but something to check. 
Regards

Gateway Kid

PS our sales tax is 8.2%

My friend bought a rifle at Cabelas on a Monday, got the discount and also got a 5% discount on top of that for being a veteran. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

My friend bought a rifle at Cabelas on a Monday, got the discount and also got a 5% discount on top of that for being a veteran. 

Yes,

there are ways to keep your costs down, it just takes a little digging. Everything is ridiculous expensive right now and IMHO, prices may someday come down some but we won’t be seeing $30-$35 primers again, so do what you have to to continue to afford the game.

Regards

Gateway Kid 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

Regards

Gateway Kid

PS our sales tax is 8.2%

Yep. 

I went one Monday and bought a Ruger PCC and got the discount. 

• Like 1