SASS Wire Forum

Blanks can hurt

Rye Miles #13621

I learned about the danger of blanks when I was nine or ten years old -- from Roy Rodgers. He had a safety demonstration that aired during or after one of his shows. He said something like, "Boys and girls, even though we shoot blanks on the show, they can still be dangerous." He then put a playing card flat on the ground and from a standing position fired a blank at the card which blew a hole right through it. Made an impression on me as I still remember it after 60+ years.

I remember other "Kids, this is just pretend, please don't try this at home." Too bad those kinds of messages have fallen by the wayside. Seems that back then, they knew their audience. Theses days it seems they don't care about their audience.

When I was in high school I bought a starter pistol, that used those 22 acorn blanks. And one day, just for curiosity, I pointed it at a dried turkey oak leaf on the ground. Maybe 6, 8 inches away. Fired. The hole was about a half an inch. And the leaf around the hole was burned.

Hmmm

2 hours ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

And George Reeves used to caution children on TV that only Superman can fly.

And must duck when revolvers are thrown at you. :lol:

Me and my brother didn’t see this announcement that only Superman can fly. I liked Batman. My brother liked Superman. We made our own capes from bed sheets and put them on and ran and jumped from the roof of our garage. My other little brother was officiating from the ground to determine which of us went further. 
After we hit the ground, luckily on our feet and some very well executed rolls we found that our littlest brother was laughing too hard to determine who flew furthest. His laughter attracted my mother who thoroughly chastised us for tearing up bed sheets and trying to break our own necks. No dinner that night…

One Reenactor who owned a cannon, as part of his demonstration, would go into how even without a projectile it was still dangerous.  He would put a a raw chicken on a stake about 20 feet in front of the gun and a raw pork chop over the vent.   

When he fired the blank the tube from the friction primer and the hot gasses from the vent would blow about a 3/4 inch hole in the chop and sear the edges.

The chicken was always blown off the stake and usually the wings and legs were disjointed, if not blown off.

1 hour ago, Texas Lizard said:

Superman can not fly....He leaps over tall buildings....

Texas Lizard

Yes but he does fly as well.

I remember Brandon Lee being killed by a blank in 1993 when filming The Crow.

https://www.npr.org/2023/01/20/1150034900/brandon-lee-killed-prop-gun-rust-shooting-death-alec-baldwin-halyna-hutchins

TM

2 hours ago, Texas Maverick said:

I remember Brandon Lee being killed by a blank in 1993 when filming The Crow.

https://www.npr.org/2023/01/20/1150034900/brandon-lee-killed-prop-gun-rust-shooting-death-alec-baldwin-halyna-hutchins

TM

Not exactly...

In a film shoot prior to the fatal scene, the gun that was used as a prop (a real revolver) was loaded with improperly made dummy rounds, improvised from live cartridges that had the powder charges removed by the special effects crew, so in close-ups the revolver would show normal-looking ammunition. However, the crew neglected to remove the primers from the cartridges, and at some point before the fatal event, one of the rounds had been fired. Although there were no powder charges, the energy from the ignited primer was enough to separate the bullet from the casing and push it part-way into the gun barrel, where it got stuck—a dangerous condition known as a squib load.

During the fatal scene, which called for the revolver to be fired at Lee from a distance of 3.6–4.5 meters (12–15 ft), the dummy cartridges were replaced with blank rounds, which contained a powder charge and the primer, but no solid bullet, allowing the gun to be fired with sound and flash effects without the risk of an actual projectile. However, the gun was not properly checked and cleared before the blank was fired, and the dummy bullet previously lodged in the barrel was then propelled forward by the blank's propellant and shot out the muzzle with almost the same force as if the round were live, striking Lee in the abdomen.[101][102]

14 hours ago, Texas Lizard said:

Superman can not fly....He leaps over tall buildings....

Texas Lizard

13 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Yes but he does fly as well.

So how do you know Superman's 'leap over a tall building' isn't actually him throwing a little flying into the mix to make it look more impressive?

On 10/5/2023 at 7:22 AM, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

I learned about the danger of blanks when I was nine or ten years old -- from Roy Rodgers. He had a safety demonstration.............

I learned when I was about 12 from a Buffalo Bill impersonator.

He demonstrated by putting a his gun point blank against a thick metropolitan phone book and blowing a hole thru it....had confetti bouncing of the gym ceiling.

23 minutes ago, Alpo said:

You can't fool me. That was trick photography.

Supermanwithblindgirl.jpg.a222c541e5788d2ac62c7073e481fea0.jpg

Really?? :P

On 10/5/2023 at 9:37 AM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

After reading the article I’m left to wonder if the charging authority also charges drivers that accidentally hurt someone. 
Sure Gramps is stupid but not sure if he’s a criminal. 

4 hours ago, Sawhorse Kid said:

I learned when I was about 12 from a Buffalo Bill impersonator.

He demonstrated by putting a his gun point blank against a thick metropolitan and blowing a hole thru it....had confetti bouncing of the gym ceiling.

Are you saying that that archbishop was a lackwit, or fat?

8 minutes ago, Sawhorse Kid said:

image.thumb.png.3f917ac2839029d8aa7883ad587f47d3.png

:blush:  My bad,    a thick metropolitan phone book.    

I'm sure that was otto's bad.

2 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Are you saying that that archbishop was a lackwit, or fat?

My first thought was he was talking about a Nash.

You can't fix Stupid 

On 10/5/2023 at 11:14 AM, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

And George Reeves used to caution children on TV that only Superman can fly.

and if i recall correctly a blank crippled superman on a movies set 

Archived