SASS Wire Forum

F35 Operators manual

PowderRiverCowboy

Finders keepers?   Has anyone seen the lost F35? :)

The US military is searching for a missing F-35B in South Carolina after the pilot ejected yesterday and the jet kept flying. If you have seen an F-35 in the woods, please contact the US Marines.

https://www.npr.org/2023/09/18/1200093822/missing-f-35-fighter-jet-south-carolina

I think Pepsi stole it, to give to their contest winner from the 80s who never got his. Just a theory.

What I find odd is pilot bailed but obviously the plane is fully capable of flight. Transponder is turned off or not working. If that is the case isn’t that something that would have to be fixed before taking off? Something does not make sense. Maybe more flight training and less politically correct training. 

2 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

From some of the reports, you might need SCUBA gear, possibly with saturation breathing gases, and a boat with side-scan sonar. :rolleyes:

They should look under the Russian trawler.

17 minutes ago, Big Gus, SASS# 66666 said:

What I find odd is pilot bailed but obviously the plane is fully capable of flight. Transponder is turned off or not working. If that is the case isn’t that something that would have to be fixed before taking off? Something does not make sense. Maybe more flight training and less politically correct training. 

The AC was being tracked by Air Traffic Control. However ATC radars rotate at 20 RPM. This means that ATC only gets an update every 3 seconds at best. Depending on the area this happened in ATC radar most likely cannot see AC below a minimum altitude. In some cases that can be as high as 10,000 feet AGL. With an aircraft that can cover a lot of ground in a very short time the search area gets big fast. Additionally, despite what most people think a crash site can be very hard to spot when it occurs in a wooded area.

“A pilot ejected from the aircraft on Sunday afternoon after a "mishap." 

Mishap was the pilot pulling the “EJECT” strap?

I had a lousy day today, I have never laughed any harder than when some of these IDIOT reporters were talking about the plane “might still be flying’ a full day after the pilot ejected.

There was no mention of the plane having to refuel!  There was no evidence of ground or “in flight” refueling.

It was abundantly clear that the plane couldn’t possibly be airborne!!

Media! BAH!! Blithering IDIOTS!!

3 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Additionally, despite what most people think a crash site can be very hard to spot when it occurs in a wooded area.

As a Civil Air Patrol search and rescue pilot, I can personally confirm that. Granted, the wrecks I found weren’t as big as an F-35, but when they auger in, the debris field can be pretty small. One wreck I found in the woods couldn’t be seen for 270 degrees of a 360 orbit. 

My son- in-law was in charge of fishing that last F35 out of 12,000 feet of water, so the joke going around was if his phone was ringing again.  From what I read these planes have a whole lot of high tech stuff they don’t want in foreign hands.

2 hours ago, bgavin said:

My son- in-law was in charge of fishing that last F35 out of 12,000 feet of water, so the joke going around was if his phone was ringing again.  From what I read these planes have a whole lot of high tech stuff they don’t want in foreign hands.

Yeah, the Chinese know about it but why give them concrete examples.

17 hours ago, Big Gus, SASS# 66666 said:

17 hours ago, Matthew Duncan said:

“A pilot ejected from the aircraft on Sunday afternoon after a "mishap." 

Mishap was the pilot pulling the “EJECT” strap?

The F35 has a auto-eject seat  , They have had issues for the last year but still flying
https://www.military.com/daily-news/2022/08/03/f-35-ejection-seat-problem-was-discovered-3-months-ago-jets-kept-flying.html

3 hours ago, PowderRiverCowboy said:

The F35 has a auto-eject seat  , They have had issues for the last year but still flying
https://www.military.com/daily-news/2022/08/03/f-35-ejection-seat-problem-was-discovered-3-months-ago-jets-kept-flying.html

The problems were with certain ballistic cartridges that might preclude a successful ejection. I seriously doubt that an "auto-ejection situation is possible. The pilot was reported to be okay, and that would require he/she being in the proper position to eject without injury or death!  As far as what made the pilot eject in the first place, the flight control systems are so complicated that a total failure might have made it totally impossible to make any inputs that had an effect on the attitude of the aircraft. I am speculating, but I'd bet that after following all the checklist procedures to regain control, the pilot had no other choice but to eject.  If the aircraft was in straight and level flight or thereabouts, it would have just continued until it ran out of fuel before crashing miles away from the pilot ejecting.

5 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

The problems were with certain ballistic cartridges that might preclude a successful ejection. I seriously doubt that an "auto-ejection situation is possible. The pilot was reported to be okay, and that would require he/she being in the proper position to eject without injury or death!  As far as what made the pilot eject in the first place, the flight control systems are so complicated that a total failure might have made it totally impossible to make any inputs that had an effect on the attitude of the aircraft. I am speculating, but I'd bet that after following all the checklist procedures to regain control, the pilot had no other choice but to eject.  If the aircraft was in straight and level flight or thereabouts, it would have just continued until it ran out of fuel before crashing miles away from the pilot ejecting.

However, the incident, dramatic video footage of which was captured at the time, makes it worthwhile to discuss an obscure feature on the aircraft: an 'auto eject' system that can engage the jet's Martin-Baker US16E ejection seat without direction under very particular circumstances.
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/the-f-35b-can-eject-its-pilot-automatically

1 hour ago, PowderRiverCowboy said:

However, the incident, dramatic video footage of which was captured at the time, makes it worthwhile to discuss an obscure feature on the aircraft: an 'auto eject' system that can engage the jet's Martin-Baker US16E ejection seat without direction under very particular circumstances.
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/the-f-35b-can-eject-its-pilot-automatically

Fascinating! Unless the aircraft in question was being flown into a hover at altitude, for training purposes, I can't imagine the auto-eject feature coming into play. I wonder if there are harness roll-up devices that would pull the pilot into a "safe" posture, such as there were years ago in the F-104 for the feet (pilot wore spurs on his boots connected to the ballistic reels, with guillotine cutters on the cables after the ejection.  There were some other weird things, such as cables and reels & cutters on the systems I worked on, but that was years ago, so I don't remember which aircraft used them, if any.

Archived