SASS Wire Forum

Here's a pic of where I got some bees. They're small guys. They're under that corner of the siding. I sprayed some bee killer stuff but this morning they're still there. I think they're yellowjackets. Anyone got any remedies other than call an exterminator. I tried Spectricide carpenter and yellow jacket spray. The stain was right after I sprayed.

IMG_3413.jpg

Don't kill bees. Call a beekeeper.

Wasps on the other hand: mix dish soap and water spray em. They drown.  Also spritz of wd40 coats em and they can't fly real good, they suffocate but not as fast as water and soap.

38 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Here's a pic of where I got some bees. They're small guys. They're under that corner of the siding. I sprayed some bee killer stuff but this morning they're still there. I think they're yellowjackets. Anyone got any remedies other than call an exterminator. I tried Spectricide carpenter and yellow jacket spray. The stain was right after I sprayed.

IMG_3413.jpg

21 minutes ago, Texas Joker said:

Don't kill bees. Call a beekeeper.

Wasps on the other hand: mix dish soap and water spray em. They drown.  Also spritz of wd40 coats em and they can't fly real good, they suffocate but not as fast as water and soap.

More than likely they’re Yellow Jackets. Small aggressive annoying wasps. 

I had the same exact thing happen Rye. Call an exterminator. If you pizz these little guys off they will sting the crap out of you. Trust me on this. 

These things are the only bee type stinging insect I am allergic to. Not bad enough to carry an Epi-Pen but bad enough to swell up around the sting area. A sting on my forearm makes me look like Popeye. 

22 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

More than likely they’re Yellow Jackets. Small aggressive annoying wasps. 

I had the same exact thing happen Rye. Call an exterminator. If you pizz these little guys off they will sting the crap out of you. Trust me on this. 

These things are the only bee type stinging insect I am allergic to. Not bad enough to carry an Epi-Pen but bad enough to swell up around the sting area. A sting on my forearm makes me look like Popeye. 

As I was spraying they were flying around but kinda staying away from me. I may spray again at dusk when they’re not active. I tried that last night and it didn’t work. I think you’re right it’s exterminator time!!

Wasp sting allergy: have Epi Pen, during travel!

Bees sting once, they leave the stinger & venom sacs in the wound and they die.

Wasps, especially those flying hell-beasts called yellowjackets, sting like a sewing machine and they don't leave their stinger behind.

I've curtailed hot weather activity where wasps might be found out of a general preference for breathing on a regular basis.

Exterminator sounds like a good call: if they are honeybees, he'll call a beekeeper -- otherwise he'll be better equipped than your honored self to handle the situation.

I had the same problem.  Yellow jackets do not like the smell of peppermint.  If you will fill a spray bottle with a few drops of peppermint oil, some dish soap and water, just continue to spray the entry and they will soon leave.  Dish soap causes them to be unable to breathe and peppermint repels them..   This has worked for me.   For underground nests, I get a powder at the local farm supply store to mix with water and pour down the ground hole after dark, and it wipes them out without damaging the soil.   

Here in rural Montana I have found the bees and wasps to be far less aggressive than anywhere else I have lived in the U.S.  Don't know if it is because there are fewer people or for some other reason.  Despite being in the gardens and photographing them, I have been stung just once in 15 years.

31 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

As I was spraying they were flying around but kinda staying away from me. I may spray again at dusk when they’re not active. I tried that last night and it didn’t work. I think you’re right it’s exterminator time!!

I don't think that yellow jackets would have left you alone so it might not be yellow jackets. If they are, and you piss them off, they'll attack in numbers...once one stings, they'll all come after you.

In their hidden location, it's probably time for a professional.

Side note - That Ramirez has a good right cross.:P

2 hours ago, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

Simple Green will take em out , as will paint thinner (my go to ) 

hit em fast and hit en hard 

CB 

Paint thinner is very flammable.  Are you willing to burn your house down to get rid of them?

1. Identify the pest.

2. Locate the nest.

3. Determine the most efficient (and safest) product to use.

4. READ the label and follow directions.

(as mentioned, it is best to apply at night when the majority of critters are at home).

I.D. and control methods can be found on most County Extension or Ag college sites (e.g. OSU EXTENSION SERVICE)

Shucks RYE, it ain't no fun unless you can have a good story to tell after its all over with.   And a good story

always starts with a good bee stinging episode..... :lol:

I agree with a lot of those remedies listed above.  And I agree that it sounds like Yellow Jackets.

Unlike honey bees that sting once, Yellow Jackets have the ability to sting multiple times and still live to sting again.

They normally attack like a nightmare Posse from Hell...... and its a story you won't soon forget.

And normally, they are prone to attack light/bright colored clothing...... so, wear something black or dark, including a hat.

Caution is the word for the day!

EDIT:  honey bees are also known to build a hive in the same location as your picture.   If you know a bee keeper,

call him/her and they will gladly come check it out.

..........Widder

4 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Shucks RYE, it ain't no fun unless you can have a good story to tell after its all over with.   And a good story

always starts with a good bee stinging episode..... :lol:

I agree with a lot of those remedies listed above.  And I agree that it sounds like Yellow Jackets.

Unlike honey bees that sting once, Yellow Jackets have the ability to sting multiple times and still live to sting again.

They normally attack like a nightmare Posse from Hell...... and its a story you won't soon forget.

And normally, they are prone to attack light/bright colored clothing...... so, wear something black or dark, including a hat.

Caution is the word for the day!

EDIT:  honey bees are also known to build a hive in the same location as your picture.   If you know a bee keeper,

call him/her and they will gladly come check it out.

..........Widder

I may have to call a beekeeper, I sprayed a whole can of wasp, hornet and yellow jacket spray in the last two days! They’re still there but not as bad. I bought another can and just sprayed some. Next is a phone call…. 
I know you want a great story about stings and all but sorry pard!:P

Beekeeper advice to me that works very well:

The dish soap treatment works, if you do it at night when the wasps are mostly at the nest.   Mix about an ounce of soap per 5 gal sprayer.  Use a several gallon weed sprayer, because the wasps will dribble out of the nest for ten minutes or so.  You need to keep up pretty continuous spray at the openings. ( Make sure you find all of the  nest access openings. ) When the soap hits the insects, they just fall to the ground and crawl around until they die.  I have piled up several inches of dead wasps under big nests.  

DO NOT USE A FLASHLIGHT.  Use car headlamps or a work light at a distance --do not position it near yourself.  The wasps will respond to the light, like daylight, and any escaping wasps will go directly toward the source.  

We routinely get big German yellowjacket nests in the facade buildings at our club range.  Some of them have 10,000 or more individuals.  I go up at night and spray a dozen or so of the nests in advance of our matches.  I've not yet been stung in the process.

In the past, I used the commercial off the shelf 'blaster" type wasp sprays.  The spray container held just enough to get the whole nest mad, then it ran out.  I usually picked up a sting or two.   The soap is much tamer, safer, and easier --also cheaper and less environmentally toxic.  

The soap also works great when poured into a fire ant nest.  

Well...no activity today I may have got rid of them but I called an exterminator and I'm going to give them an update on Wednesday. They said I may have gotten rid of the swarmers but the nest could still be in there. We'll see............pesky little buggers!

Pretty good bet the nest is still in there! Dead bees don't generally remove their nest.:lol:

2 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Pretty good bet the nest is still in there! Dead bees don't generally remove their nest.:lol:

Ghost bees???

19 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Beekeeper advice to me that works very well:

(*snip*)

The soap also works great when poured into a fire ant nest.  

Now here's information I was asked about not long ago, didn't know the answer, now I do!
Dusty Devil Dale, many thanks! 

14 hours ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

I had yellow jackets find a hole in my house. Set a shop vac up by the opening, couple hours later they were all gone.

That’s a good idea. Set it up as a wet vac. Put some water in the collection tub and turn it on. 

15 hours ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

I had yellow jackets find a hole in my house. Set a shop vac up by the opening, couple hours later they were all gone.

Did it get exciting emptying the vac?

Just now, Eyesa Horg said:

Yeah, I wish I'd have thought of Pat Riots idea, couple gallons water some Dawn. Turns out being sucked up a  ribbed hose is hard on bees, some still moving , most were dead. I thought about spraying bee killer in the hose, but could only imagine that spray hitting a spark in the motor.

1 hour ago, Pat Riot said:

That’s a good idea. Set it up as a wet vac. Put some water in the collection tub and turn it on. 

11 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Yeah, I wish I'd have thought of Pat Riots idea, couple gallons water some Dawn. Turns out being sucked up a  ribbed hose is hard on bees, some still moving , most were dead. I thought about spraying bee killer in the hose, but could only imagine that spray hitting a spark in the motor.

16 hours ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

I think I’ll call a professional! :P

1 hour ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

:o Boom! :(

Hmmm… you mean to tell us that you’d look great with no eyebrows or facial hair? 

Crooked River Pete after getting cleaned up. 

image.jpeg.f826f0235647d5351a2f35bb91132e79.jpeg

Yellow jackets nest in the ground.  And it's not yet time for them to be as pissy as they're going to get.

4 hours ago, MizPete said:

Yellow jackets nest in the ground.  And it's not yet time for them to be as pissy as they're going to get.

Exterminator told me they nest anywhere not just the ground. 

Archived