SASS Wire Forum

Reloading Data

Shanghai Jack

I didn't see a particular forum so was going to ask for pet loads anyone would share for 38/357, 45 cowboy special, and 45 colt - both rifle and pistol.

I have a extensive collection of powders so recommend away. 

Thanks in advance. 

There have been a number of topics on this over the years.  The Wire search is useless for this.  But go to Google and type in 

"Site:Sassnet.com: favorite .38 loads" (or other caliber).  And you will find these threads.  Of course, that won't stop a bunch of people from repeating themselves and telling you again here. :)

Well, most of our pistol caliber cartridges do not require precision, just 100% function.  And, almost everyone I know and shoot with is loading below the minimum in published data sets.   So, it's almost all going to be "custom" and lighter than the powder manufacturers want to support.   Easy to ask around your local club of the folks who you know have reliable ammo.  Used to be lots of folks had "gallery loads" published.  That seems to have gone with the buggy.

Easiest way for you to start, if you have no friends to ask, is pick a light bullet for the chambering, pull the starting load from Alliant or Hodgdon's on-line sites, and start working your way down until you start getting some inconsistent velocities or unburned powder left in barrel. 

I can get you started with my set of Cowboy .45 Special "usual suspects" - 4.0 to 4.2 grains of Clays, Clay Dot, Red Dot, WST or 700-X.  170-180 grain .452" slug, tightly crimped.   Most folks only shoot specials in their revolvers.  Might need a touch more powder in a rifle, to be sure of avoiding a squib.   Or, load to about 750-800 FPS (revolver) - that is a common sweet spot for Cowboy shooting. 

good luck, GJ

Everyone has been saying to go light on the bullets but I'm relatively recoil insensitive.  For my wife though, lighter is better to a point.  Don't want a rifle squib.  I can cast my own or buy already cast..That brings up another question - I see a lot of talk about coated bullets - I thought polymer coatings were verboten?

10 minutes ago, Shanghai Jack said:

Everyone has been saying to go light on the bullets but I'm relatively recoil insensitive.  For my wife though, lighter is better to a point.  Don't want a rifle squib.  I can cast my own or buy already cast..That brings up another question - I see a lot of talk about coated bullets - I thought polymer coatings were verboten?

REVOLVER AND RIFLE AMMUNITION

- May not be jacketed, semi-jacketed, hollow point, plated, or gas checked. It must be all lead. Moly-Disulfide, polymer coated bullets, or equivalents are acceptable.

SHB p.26

I like 3.0 Bullseye for 38 Sp. 105grn in pistols, 125 grn in rifles. 

You need to find out what bullet profile and overall cartridge length feeds best in your rifle(s).  Then you can start optimizing your loads.

Coated bullets are great - no handling metallic lead, no lead shavings or wax in loading dies, and no leading in barrels.  I cast but am happy to buy coated bullets for smokeless loads.  I also prefer softer lead alloys.

I load 3.0 gr. Clays behind a 125gr. TCFP bullet for pistol and rifle. It is half way between starting load and max load in Hodgdon’s Cowboy reloading data. I have loaded 105gr and 158gr with the same powder charge with no problem.

Randy 

Don't load much 38 Spl , but in .45

C45S - 160 gr pc.RNFP 3.8 gr ClayDot ( Red Dot and Promo work also)

45 Colt- 200 gr RNFP 5.8 gr W231 or HP 231

My posse mates seem to think the Colt load is a little warm, but the recoil is very light.

Takes care of any knockdowns with authority

Choctaw Jack 

49 minutes ago, Choctaw Jack said:

Don't load much 38 Spl , but in .45

C45S - 160 gr pc.RNFP 3.8 gr ClayDot ( Red Dot and Promo work also)

45 Colt- 200 gr RNFP 5.8 gr W231 or HP 231

My posse mates seem to think the Colt load is a little warm, but the recoil is very light.

Takes care of any knockdowns with authority

Choctaw Jack 

Believe you ment HP38

I like 7.5 grains of Unique under a 200 grain RNFP for my .45 Colt loads.

On 3/13/2023 at 4:44 PM, Shanghai Jack said:

I didn't see a particular forum so was going to ask for pet loads anyone would share for 38/357, 45 cowboy special, and 45 colt - both rifle and pistol.

I have a extensive collection of powders so recommend away. 

Thanks in advance. 

I rely on my manuals and the Hodgdon Reloading site, with their printable recipes for my reloading.

If you don't mind going North of the border for on-line information, there is a reloading thread on CanadianGunNutz that has been useful in the past.

On 3/13/2023 at 5:44 PM, No Horse Hair, SASS #77464 said:

Since I started shooting sass, I've seen more guns damaged by weak loads than hot loads!

If I might ask, what kinds of damage? And just how weak of a load are we talking?

Are you referring to actual firearm metal damage or something else.

A round behind a squib (bulged barrel) would be on the shooter.

Poor cold weather performance would indicate insufficient research into proper powders and primers and could possibly lead to squibs.

Inaccurate POI would point to inadequate load development for the gun in question.

Really would like to know please.

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

On 3/13/2023 at 7:44 PM, No Horse Hair, SASS #77464 said:

Since I started shooting sass, I've seen more guns damaged by weak loads than hot loads!

12 years and I’ve never seen or heard of this happening in CAS. I’ve been at a match where a guy blew up a Ruger. He claimed the gun was mistimed, I’m pretty sure he either double charged it or loaded two bullets, particularly since I know he’s blown up two other guns. As @Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Lifementioned if you’re referring to shooting behind a squib, I’ve seen that a few times, but no visible damage as a result.

On 3/13/2023 at 7:11 PM, Shanghai Jack said:

Light loads in SASS tend to be the result of a desire for faster follow up shots, not an aversion to recoil.

I've been loading 125 gr bullets (.38) with 3.6 grs of TiteGroup for rifle and pistol. I've been using this load for about 3 years. It's just snappy enough to feel like you're shooting something but not much recoil at all! 

Archived