SASS Wire Forum

Curve required for a female gun belt?

Cholla

I have a  skinny 15-year old friend that wants to try SASS. I want to try and make her a gun belt. I have seen gun belts made with a curve to better hug the hips. Any information on what the curve needs to be?

If they are skinny the curve really isn't needed. Neither my wife not my daughter required curved belts and they work fine. Might be better off to make a softer money belt type, easier on the hip bones. IMHO.

When we ordered our first rigs, the maker explained all the likes and dislikes he hears and how he makes his belts.  He showed us the curved belts and said that they were prefered by women.  However, he also stated that the belts eventually do adjust to fit the curvature of the body.  I ordered a curved belt and a few years later had another one made.  However, as he said, some women went with the straight ones and the curvature did occur later.  His leather was very thick and I'm very glad I went with the curved belts.

Bullion Rose tried on both a straight belt and a so-called "Tequila rig" curved belt, and liked the fit and feel of the curved belt much more.  And she's tiny.  It's the hips, though it is definitely true that women's hips are different before and after birthing babies.  Hopefully that 15-year old hasn't done that yet!!!

Just now, Nostrum Damus SASS #110702 said:

Bullion Rose tried on both a straight belt and a so-called "Tequila rig" curved belt, and liked the fit and feel of the curved belt much more.  And she's tiny.  It's the hips, though it is definitely true that women's hips are different before and after birthing babies.  Hopefully that 15-year old hasn't done that yet!!!

Ellie as well.

And, Cholla, definitely integrate the shot shell and cartridge loops on the front, or include appropriate slides for the front.  (These belts buckle in back, unlike regular belts that buckle in front, as you know.)  Bullion Rose absolutely hated the idea of wearing a second ammo belt on top of the gun belt.

When Sawmill Mary was fitted with a custom rig, it took a couple of hours of interviewing, trying on, and measuring.   A lot seemed to pend on where the belt will ride  - across hipbone, above, etc.  I've not messed but I'd say the curve was a couple of inches.   Mine only took a few minutes.  What color, what width, what tooling, length. 

Ellie was on the phone with J-M leather and his wife for a while getting hers designed as well and loves it.

If you’re wanting a perfect fit, make a pattern out of glued-together file folders that are cut to exactly fit the body contour.  Then trace that onto the leather.

16 hours ago, Cholla said:

I have a  skinny 15-year old friend that wants to try SASS. I want to try and make her a gun belt. I have seen gun belts made with a curve to better hug the hips. Any information on what the curve needs to be?

I let my eyes determine if a curve is needed.

KIrkpatrick made a "Holy Terror" rig for Randi Rogers. Don't know if they still do but you might check. Or ssee if anyone here has one they'll sell.

I have leather. She is not 100% on board with CAS. She wants to try it one time. So, I need to make something that will work and not be a waste of money of she never wants to do it again. If she suddenly decides it's the best thing on earth, then I will check into other options.

9 minutes ago, Cholla said:

I have leather. She is not 100% on board with CAS. She wants to try it one time. So, I need to make something that will work and not be a waste of money of she never wants to do it again. If she suddenly decides it's the best thing on earth, then I will check into other options.

Then borrowing one from another lady her basic size may be the best bet.

My wife also wanted a curved belt after trying a straight belt.  She tried a fellow shooter's Tequila Ladies Rig (link below).  She liked it, but wanted it a little more "C" shape rather than the "U" shape of the Tequila rig.  I cut a pattern out of poster board and adjusted it until it was what she wanted.  I still copied the other design features, like adjustable buckle billets, of the Tequila rig.  She loves the rig I made for her. 

Tequila Ladies Rig - Model TQL - Kirkpatrick Leather Holsters

If she's not sure about CAS, put a soft straight belt on her and use holster leg tie downs if needed to keep the holsters and belt from rising up when she draws.  If she likes CAS, she can look for a better fitting belt if needed.  If she does not, the straight belt will be easier to repurpose or sell.

I know Sassy Boots really likes her curved holster belt done by Ain't Dunnit.  I believe many ladies will prefer the curve in a final decision for comfort.  As mentioned, J-M and Kirkpatrick offer this curve, as does Ain't Dunnit and Doc Noper. 

Sassy chose to go with separate shotgun belt and loves her Doc Noper .  The separate shotgun belt allowed for customizing of  loops, cartridge and shotgun, and the very important lip gloss loop.  Her preference was loops in elastic.  With the separate shotgun belt the open surface in front (buckle in rear) allows for name and/or special tooling for cosmetics.  And, she prefers the body position of separate belt in advantage in "the grab".

My wife also prefers the curved belt with integrated shotshell holders.

While at Bordertown several years ago I talked to Bob and told him what I wanted and showed him her current belt.  He took measurements and made a curved belt with buckles on each side and a separate billet with holes on both ends.  Allows for more adjustability regardless of season or outfits.  It's not shown on the website.

It's already packed up for the trip to the range this evening, but I can take pics if anyone's interested.

2 minutes ago, Hiram Diggs said:

Paper or plastic? The reusesable synthetic ones? Directions unclear… :P

Plastic are pretty useless ex. for dog poop,  the real, heavy duty brown paper bags.  Been using those to make leather patterns since I was a Teen.  If I were making a fancy Ladies belt for, say, my daughter, after the paper I would make an intermediate actual belt with inexpensive leather.  That way I could be certain of the fit and "customer" approval.  I haven't needed a pattern for an unfamiliar pistol in several years, but I have done that as well.  Last time for a Schofield, the gun was not reliable, never got another or made the actual holster.

My wife and I are retired school teachers, we each had a ton of old file folders.  I find that they work well for leather patterns.  I did actually buy a box of the legal size file folders for longer pistol holster patterns.

Archived