SASS Wire Forum

For You CPAP Users - Battery Back-up

Calamity Kris

Do any of you CPAP / BiPAP users have a battery back-up for your machines, in case of power outages?  If so, what do you have and how do you like it?  I've been contemplating purchasing one for each Uno and myself but I'm not sure what type to get, how large etc.   Any advice you can give would be helpful.

Thank you kindly.

CK

I use a schumaker jump pack, the biggest one they make.  Will run my cpap for 3 nights.  I also have a bluetti solar rechargeable power pack like the above mentioned Jackery.  It will run it several nights and recharges with solar panels.  You will need to order the DC power cord for you particular cpap machine. 

I looked at a Computer UPS but the problem with them is when the power goes off it has an alarm that you cannot turn off. It also goes off any time the power varies. The alarm is too annoying to put up with.

8 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I looked at a Computer UPS but the problem with them is when the power goes off it has an alarm that you cannot turn off. It also goes off any time the power varies. The alarm is too annoying to put up with.

That is the reason that I decided not to go with a UPS. Nothing like a gawd-awful shrieking noise at 2 AM to get the blood pumping. :blink:

Actually I decided not to bother with a battery backup for my BiPAP. If the power goes off I remove my mask and go back to sleep. 

Most of those "dedicated" off-line power supplies for CPAP's are purty darned pricey.

Any reason a body couldn't use a deep-cycle (or even a regular car battery) with one of these $9 adapters from Amazon?  :huh:

61KT3lOfkLL._AC_SX522_.jpg

From today's Outdoor Wire:

I’m writing this feature on a notebook computer with a faulty battery. It shuts down unless it’s plugged in to an outlet. Without the AC, it starts, runs, then suddenly goes blank screen. Saves.nothing.

Fine for browsing and quick tasks, not so good for my writing style. Unless I’m writing hard news on a tight deadline, inspiration comes in fits and starts.

When I’m stuck, I walk away. When I re-focus, I resume. If I do that here, I’m recreating Groundhog Day.

Today, I’m not concerned about coming back to a blank screen because the computer, a rechargeable flashlight (more on it below) and my cellphone are all charging off the same battery.

Apparently, the notebook has been operating -as it was designed -from this single battery for the past three days.

No, that’s not a typo. I’m running off a 583Wh portable power station from SkyIntelligent.

Alternative power always fascinates me. The kind of alternative power that keeps your home functioning when your primary power fails or keep my “devices of convenience and comfort” working when I am actually off-grid.

The RV, for example, has shore power (just plug it in) for campgrounds, a generator to keep everything (including the very important heat/air and hot water heater) working off-grid, and solar power sufficient to run low voltage lighting and fans while keeping the primary batteries charged if we’re really boondocking it.

But there’s nothing to keep the “devices of convenience and comfort” functioning when we’re truly off-grid other than the generator. The generator uses propane. The propane tank isn’t infinite.

Ergo, my interest in alternative power- especially if it’s sources to run the notebook, charge the phones, power the wi-fi card, and charge camera batteries. It keeps my office functioning.

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fimages.theoutdoorwire.com%2F2022%2F09%2F28%2Fad311351-ba2c-40ab-8a51-63cf1fe94612_600x343.jpeg&t=1664387301&ymreqid=02418966-aef0-7db4-1c29-b50008014a00&sig=oYOrEiiRUAnbdaII20Sk3g--~D
The Portable Power Station as shown here is running the notebook computer, recharging my phone, charging my flashlight battery. As you can see from the power indicators, it’s capable of doing all that for at least another 15 hours. That’s after having (accidentally) powered the at-rest notebook for three days.

Since this is the smallest and least expensive of the Sky Intelligent units ($499.99 MSRP) I’m thinking it’s a pretty cost-effective solution to intentional off-grid travel or unexpected power interruptions. It can be charged four ways: 100W solar panel in 5-8 hours (not included), AC outlet or USBC PD in 5-6 hours, or via a (supplied) car charger in 7-8 hours.

I charged the test unit overnight, and haven’t recharged it yet, despite having charged my phone, my watch, my flashlight, three Sony camera batteries and a pair of Surefire 123A lithium batteries. It’s performed as-advertised.

According to the manufacturer, the unit is capable of recharging a mobile phone up to 48 times, a 500Wh laptop 8 times, a GoPro7 100 times, or a 1500W drone 10 times. In case you’re wondering, it also says it’s capable of running a 250W pellet grill for 1.8 hours, a 60W fridge for 10, a 75W TV for 6 hours, or a C-PAP/A-PAP for at least 11 hours.

This 14.7-pound powerhouse uses a “pure-sine” inverter. That means a steady 12 volts -until the battery totally fails.

Good news if you’re running mini fridges, freezers or C-PAP machines. Haven’t tried those -yet- but have no reason to doubt the claim. Everything else has been exactly as spec’d.

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fimages.theoutdoorwire.com%2F2022%2F09%2F28%2F5e697394-1e76-4ea0-8dd7-96b4a5008b6c_580x480.jpeg&t=1664387301&ymreqid=02418966-aef0-7db4-1c29-b50008014a00&sig=YVO.hIpvTJeLiXCyCoYp0g--~D
The power station’s information panel isn’t tough to interpret. No menu scrolling, info “trees” or guesswork. Power input, battery usage, state of charge and time remaining on the battery are all right there.

If you’re interested in getting one of these, here’s a tip that will save you some cash. Amazon currently has them listed at $399.99 -direct from Sky Intelligent. And before you start telling me that my test unit is from Shell, not sky intelligent, they’re a Shell licensee.

And..there’s also a set of LEDs on the backside of the unit. Useful for general lighting or set to flash in a traffic warning mode- not a bad idea in case of a nighttime breakdown.

2 minutes ago, punxsutawneypete said:

I have a 22K Generac whole house generator.  Kicks in after 13 seconds without power.

Me too! And it is worth every penny, though we have few power failures, and those so far, no longer than 4 or 5 hours.  From OH S**t to a big smile in 13 seconds.

43 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Most of those "dedicated" off-line power supplies for CPAP's are purty darned pricey.

Any reason a body couldn't use a deep-cycle (or even a regular car battery) with one of these $9 adapters from Amazon?  :huh:

For some of the older machines it is that simple. However like so many things the manufacturers are making it much more difficult to do inexpensively.

Many new machines are using proprietary connectors or voltages other than 12 VDC. 

I have an AirSense 11 machine and it uses an odd proprietary connector. The AC adapter outputs 24 VDC vice 12.  Had to do some research but I finally found a 12 VDC adapter that will work with my machine.

I use this one for my ResMed machine. I’ve used it 4 nights in a row without charging and it still has power left. Amazon has them.

I don’t use the humidifier or heated hose when it’s on this battery. When I’m at multi day matches without power it works out well. We were over at the beach earlier this month and I used it 4 nights straight with no issues and I used it for 5 nights at the Western Regional  but plugged it into the solar charger the last afternoon just to make sure it would get me through the night. PM me if you’d like more info.

C0116980-448A-4A2D-9241-2176882B4C58.jpeg

Talk about an annoyance - we've been told that we absolutely must have battery power for our machines at Boy Scout camp.  All campsites have power, but it seems someone has decided there's a "tripping risk" if we use extension cords to plug 'em in.   

Good grief.  <_<

2 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Which machine is Uno using?

Does he use the heated hose?

Does it have an humidifier and if so what setting does he use?

Uno uses a Resmed  with a heated hose/humidifier and I have a Dreamstation without the heated hose but with a humidifier.  He can use Hardpans's suggestion I can not. I have no information on settings. 

37 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Talk about an annoyance - we've been told that we absolutely must have battery power for our machines at Boy Scout camp.  All campsites have power, but it seems someone has decided there's a "tripping risk" if we use extension cords to plug 'em in.   

Good grief.  <_<

Would a small shovel and a long extension cord solve your problems??

12 minutes ago, Calamity Kris said:

Yep! They trip in the cord, smack ‘em with the shovel. Lesson learned. :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

I don’t use that particular connector, rather a proprietary one from ResMed on my airsense 10 with a size 24 car battery. Get at least 3 nights with humidifier, 4 without. Hook battery up when I am running generator to charge small RV and good to go for another 3 nights. Big RV has quality inverter and solar so use that system when using cpap when camping. 
Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

41 minutes ago, Calamity Kris said:

I have always done that in the past ~ that, or run the cord overhead.

In the unlikely event I ever do more overnighters at camp I shall flaunt authority and continue to do so.  :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Calamity Kris said:

Uno uses a Resmed  with a heated hose/humidifier and I have a Dreamstation without the heated hose but with a humidifier.  He can use Hardpans's suggestion I can not. I have no information on settings. 

You should be able to use the PowerOak setup that @Yul Lose posted. It comes with several adapter cables. If Uno has the AirSense 10 it will work for that as well. If he has the AirSense 11, I can give you another option.

Keep in mind that using the heater and humidifier while on battery has a big impact on how many hours of use you can get.

I run a CPAP off a big marine battery and an inverter when dry camping at CAS matches.  I mostly shoot in desert locations so the heated humidifier must run.  In the morning I start a small inverter/generator to charge both the Travel trailer batteries and the battery for the CPAP.  The battery for the CPAP reads about 50% charge on the battery charger used to charge it.  When I return from shooting all batteries are charged.  I charge batteries daily.

The inverter I use is not pure sine-wave.  My CPAP manufacturer told me the CPAP did not require a pure sine-wave inverter.  If you are uncertain about your power requirements pay extra for a pure sine-wave inverter.

Expect to replace a deep discharge marine battery about every three years.

A battery box

image.png.83328a064135b56c652867c6f948cd82.png

A pure sine-wave inverter

image.png

Sportsman's Warehouse has something like Tex Jones posted. It's not cheap. For our camper I did what Edward Canby did. Worked well.

On 9/28/2022 at 12:54 PM, Mister Badly said:

I use a Jackery battery with a dc converter cable. It will power my CPAP for at least 3 nights. 

Mister Badly beat me to it.

Before the Jackery I used a rather heavy, deep cycle Marine battery with an inverter for 12V to 110V. Big heavy deep cycle battery (did I mention heavy?) -- lasted us a week's camping, but it was a HEAVY thing!

Jackery is way lighter!

On 9/28/2022 at 2:28 PM, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Good grief.  <_<

You could always point out that not using your prescribed medical device poses a '' dieing'' risk and if they would kindly sign here accepting liability you will abide by their rule. Otherwise use the power pole

Bet next printing there is a line with the word except in it

I have a standard computer UPS for mine, as that is the business I (retired) from.
My CPAP has been a literal life saver for me after CABG surgery.
Without it I would drown on my back.

I have the Airsense 10, and have gotten into the settings to turn off the auto pressure ramping and range adjustment, and the other baloney.
I need a steady 4.x PSI to keep my airways open while trapped on my back.

A computer UPS is not a "specialized" (read: overpriced) power supply for your CPAP.
It provides modified sine wave power that is good enough to drive the wall-wart power supply of my particular unit.

Archived