SASS Wire Forum

Starrrr Wharrrrrs

Subdeacon Joe

8 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

The reason they play bag pipes at funerals is because they sound so bad you wish you were dead.

I think we should all chip in and get Larsen's neighbors some bagpipes or at least bagpipe music to be played loudly.

The impressive part of that, to me at least, was that he was not walking in time to the music. Walking to the beat keeps you to the beat.

With his steps being so far off the beat, it would be the musical equivalent of patting your head and rubbing your belly. You can do it, but you got to pay close attention to what you're doing.

9 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

The reason they play bag pipes at funerals is because they sound so bad you wish you were dead.

I agree, bagpipes are the most annoying instrument on earth, except for a violin that someone doesn't know how to play!:o

Count me in as someone that hates bagpipes. 10-20 seconds is fine. Beyond that it sounds to me like someone stomping on a bag of cats. 

12 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Snip-it_1651162864280.jpg.8129e1de70b755c4a97c3647e4555ae8.jpg

I lived in Scotland in the early 1960s.  Went to a lot of Highland Games and Andy Stewart was one of my favorite singers.  BUT I still can't stand bag pipes at funerals.:ph34r:

I have several pipe albums. Someday I hope to make it to Scotland to the big military tattoo in Edinburgh.

If ye nay can stand the sound o’ the pipes, I pity ye.

I was married with pipes in the church; my mother was buried with pipes at the graveside; the full range of human emotions expressed by a single instrument.  It is, in large measure, a matter of cultural memory.  If it is not part of your culture, there is no reason to belittle others for whom it

is significant. 

LL

1 hour ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

I was married with pipes in the church; my mother was buried with pipes at the graveside; the full range of human emotions expressed by a single instrument.  It is, in large measure, a matter of cultural memory.  If it is not part of your culture, there is no reason to belittle others for whom it

is significant. 

LL

Well stated. I have plenty of pipe music, have attended weddings and funerals where pipes were played, and I hope they are played at my own funeral.

As for the original post, when I read the title, I thought of this:

10 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

If you have never heard Amazing Grace played on a Wyoming mountainside at dusk by a good piper, you have missed something remarkable.  I can't think of an instrument that could have done it as well, never mind better.

Find "Donald Blue" and give it a listen.

When Sherron and I married, the Pipers played us from All Saints.

I guess some folks think that if you don’t like bagpipes you are somehow inferior. That attitude has always fascinated me. 

6 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I guess some folks think that if you don’t like bagpipes you are somehow inferior. That attitude has always fascinated me. 

Then there are the people who strongly imply that people who like bagpipes are demented.

1 minute ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Then there are the people who strongly imply that people who like bagpipes are demented.

Did I imply that? I don’t think I did. 

2 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Did I imply that? I don’t think I did. 

Hmmmmm....I display a garment of general cut and you seem to think it cut to fit.

I'll grant that some styles of Scottish pipes can get tedious.  I'll also grant that it's a shame that the Scottish Great Bagpipe overshadows the bagpipes of Greece, Turkey, Albania, Spain, Italy, Bulgaria, Poland, Ukraine, Tunisia, and several others m

11 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I agree, bagpipes are the most annoying instrument on earth, except for a violin that someone doesn't know how to play!:o

Don't forget about accordions.

21 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Hmmmmm....I display a garment of general cut and you seem to think it cut to fit.

I'll grant that some styles of Scottish pipes can get tedious.  I'll also grant that it's a shame that the Scottish Great Bagpipe overshadows the bagpipes of Greece, Turkey, Albania, Spain, Italy, Bulgaria, Poland, Ukraine, Tunisia, and several others m

Well, you did quote me, ya know… ;)

Where do all these people on YouTube get their Star Wars storm trooper costumes?

17 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

Where do all these people on YouTube get their Star Wars storm trooper costumes?

https://www.stormtrooperstore.com/24,stormtrooper_costumes.html

https://www.stormtrooperstore.com/

Some serious stuff…

For the cost of one of these outfits with all the accessories I could buy some pretty cool guns….with factory ammo. ;)

15 minutes ago, .44bang said:

I love Star Wars but I can’t be a grown man playing dress up...

See many B-Western or Classic Cowboys? :D

10 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Well, you did quote me, ya know… ;)

To give context to my post.  The closest I could find to calling people who don't like bagpipes "inferior" on this thread was Bob's comment that people who don't like bagpipes are to be pitied.  Sort of like people who don't like bacon.

2 hours ago, .44bang said:

I love Star Wars but I can’t be a grown man playing dress up, I’d rather have the guns and ammo.

Uh...You do understand Cowboy Action Shooting and the attire, right? :lol:

I would look much younger in aStorm Trooper uniform.

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I would look much younger in aStorm Trooper uniform.

Somehow I think the princess would make fun.

At 2:00 in.

On 4/28/2022 at 7:19 AM, Chantry said:

I think we should all chip in and get Larsen's neighbors some bagpipes or at least bagpipe music to be played loudly.

So looks like she plays by blowing and fingering the pipes and squeezing the bag. Fascinating.

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

Somehow I think the princess would make fun.

At 2:00 in.

Ungrateful wench!

Archived