Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

SAA - really a 'Natural Pointer'?


Widder, SASS #59054
 Share

Recommended Posts

I'm always hearing people refer to the SAA as a 'Natural Pointer'.

 

If the SAA (or its clones) are such a 'Natural Pointer', then WHY do we have misses on targets that are nearly impossible

to miss?   AND.....when we get those misses, we are told "Use front sights".

 

I think that description is just advertising jargon to make buyers feel like they'll be able to shoot like Gene and Roy

without having to use front sights.

 

..........Widder

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have always wondered the same thing @Widder, SASS #59054

Years ago I made the mistake of negatively commenting on this “natural pointing” phenomena at a match and you’d have thought I triggered a bunch of socialist sorority girls. The “Waaah-Fest” was on! :lol:

 

I have come to realize over the years that every high priced and beloved product comes with free thought manipulation, commonly known as brain washing and peer pressure, and a support group to protect the owner from undue stress. It’s a fascinating thing to me. :D

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A natural pointer pistol, to me, is any gun that feels good in my hand and, when I bring it up to the target, is pointing relatively close to where I want it without moving muscles.

 

The original Vaquero and the 1911 fit me well as they come from the box.  Colt SAAs and Glocks do not, but I enjoy them anyway.

 

But there’s still a lot that can go wrong between naturally pointing a pistol and sending a bullet towards the target.  That’s where shooting skill comes in.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

An SAA is a natural pointer for me, but it took me a few years to get it trained to point where I was looking.  Rugers, some other clones, and most other SA and most DA six-shooters don't point naturally simply because I haven't shot them enough to get the trained....yet.

 

A 1911 comes pretty close to being a natural pointer, but it was a stubborn gun that didn't want to learn.  I still have to" touch it up" whenever I've been away from it for too long.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I have always wondered the same thing @Widder, SASS #59054

Years ago I made the mistake of negatively commenting on this “natural pointing” phenomena at a match and you’d have thought I triggered a bunch of socialist sorority girls. The “Waaah-Fest” was on! :lol:

 

I have come to realize over the years that every high priced and beloved product comes with free thought manipulation, commonly known as brain washing and peer pressure, and a support group to protect the owner from undue stress. It’s a fascinating thing to me. :D

Yup, just look at all of our responses in the glock 1911 thread.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some guns are better than others for me.  I define that as a gun I can shoot from

the hip, or at least un-sighted.  That is a gun that fits my hand and is pointed

where my index finger would point if the gun was not in my grip.

 

The Colt SAA and the Browning Hi-Power are natural pointers as I can fire them

from the hip, and they hit where I intended to. 

 

I used to use empty shotgun shells as targets ( in gravel lots, back in the day) and I

could hit them regularly when shooting either of those two guns from the hip.  Pretty

much anything else would be off by a bit, some more than others.

 

I've also tried hitting the A zone on an IPSC target, and out to around 7 yds I'm fairly

good at being well centered when shooting from the hip, although I do recommend

using the sights if you have the opportunity to.

 

I'm not convinced it's hype, some guns are just better suited to my hand, and I'm

sure there are some that others will prefer and do well with.

 

SC

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Navy Grip on either my 51 or on my 1871 with 7.5 inch barrel seem to jump from the holster and end-up pointed at the target better than other guns ...

The 1911 used to do the same, when I shot it on a daily basis .

 

Jabez Cowboy

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

A natural pointer pistol, to me, is any gun that feels good in my hand and, when I bring it up to the target, is pointing relatively close to where I want it without moving muscles.

 

The original Vaquero and the 1911 fit me well as they come from the box.  Colt SAAs and Glocks do not, but I enjoy them anyway.

 

But there’s still a lot that can go wrong between naturally pointing a pistol and sending a bullet towards the target.  That’s where shooting skill comes in.

I agree with you but I am adding the Luger P08. The Glock points low for me every time.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Look at the floor in any public restroom and it is obvious that most people cannot naturally point. ;)

My wife says she hasn't noticed this phenomenon...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, El CupAJoe said:

My wife says she hasn't noticed this phenomenon...

 

I used to hang out with a guy that was the janitor for a couple of bars with dance floors. More than once he commented that no matter how bad the mens room was the ladies room as as bad or worse. :unsure:

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The very best out-of-the-box pointing handgun i ever owned (and I still have one in .32ACP) is a Remington Model 51.  Remington tried to reintroduce it a few years back and failed miserably.  It's been around since1919 and was available in .32 and .380.  The 32 holds 8 rounds in the mag, the .380 only 7

 

The gun was designed by Pederson and has no screws.  It's held together by interlocking pieces (about sixty of them and all the size of a mustard seed.) and is the most difficult to work on I have ever owned, BUT it's worth it to be able to handle the beautifully crafted little gun, a bit smaller that a 1903 Colt pocket hammerless pistol..

 

I hits where I'm looking and the rumor has it that Pederson sent people out to get "several hundred" moulds of hands and used that to develop his grip angle

 

It has two faults, one is the complicated assembly and the second is that is the fussiest gun I ever held when it comes to magazines.  It hates cheap after market mags and I've stopped looking.  They are almost as scarce as originals, of which I have an even half dozen.  I had a seventh and threw it away.  It had a little dimple that I could never get rid of.

 

I have had occasion to carry both it and the above mentioned Colt at the same time.  Both are excellent, but the Remington is better.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

 

I used to hang out with a guy that was the janitor for a couple of bars with dance floors. More than once he commented that no matter how bad the mens room was the ladies room as as bad or worse. :unsure:

As a former park ranger who had to clean the campground restrooms, I can attest to that.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The first handgun I ever shot was a Blackhawk loaded with .38’s. What a joy it was to shoot! I think SAAs are natural pointers especially Colts! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

The very best out-of-the-box pointing handgun i ever owned (and I still have one in .32ACP) is a Remington Model 51.  Remington tried to reintroduce it a few years back and failed miserably.  It's been around since1919 and was available in .32 and .380.  The 32 holds 8 rounds in the mag, the .380 only 7


I had one of those Remington R51s. It had issues. It was what they called a Gen. 2 and all the original problems were supposed to have been taken care of. After 3 trips back to the factory they replaced it with a “new” Gen 1. I tested it with 250 rounds of 9mm. After it successfully fired those rounds I sold it. 
 

I liked the way the gun handled but it’s shortcomings far outweighed the positives with it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

I just fart and call it all good. Targets either fold up or melt. 

Folks will never complain about the smell of black powder shooters ever again.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:


I had one of those Remington R51s. It had issues. It was what they called a Gen. 2 and all the original problems were supposed to have been taken care of. After 3 trips back to the factory they replaced it with a “new” Gen 1. I tested it with 250 rounds of 9mm. After it successfully fired those rounds I sold it. 
 

I liked the way the gun handled but it’s shortcomings far outweighed the positives with it. 

Those were the late '90s early '20s issue stuff.  Real lousy design and the workmanship was NOT typical Remington.Most of them were recalled if I remember right.   They thought the R in front of the model number would fool folks.

 

My current piece was made in 1923 IIRC.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Those were the late '90s early '20s issue stuff.

Actually the release of the R51 was 2014. I had heard about all the QA issues, but when they released the Gen 2 (supposedly better) I waited a while and bought one in 2017.
I wanted one because of the heritage of the design

Mine had issues from the get go, so I guess I got a Gen 2 “lemon”.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks.  I was never really that interested and never even seen, much less fired one.  That was the time we were moving to Arizona and by the time we finished that the gun had developed a reputation of disappointing almost every one, so I put it out of my mind.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/24/2021 at 8:52 PM, Sedalia Dave said:

Look at the floor in any public restroom and it is obvious that most people cannot naturally point. ;)

Nah, I think they can point fine, but they have lousy skills at range estimation. 

 

  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.