SASS Wire Forum

Money slang

Alpo

In your knowledge is slang, how much is a bill?

"I lost a bet on the Packers, and I owe Joe three bills."

How much is a big one?

"Went to Vegas last week and won seven big ones shooting crap."

Generally, a bill in the vernacular is $100.00

(Australian)

# Quid = Pound = 20 shillings = became $2

# Bob = Shilling = 12pence = became 10cents

#Zac = Sixpence = became 5cents

........ seems that we lost a bit when we switched to decimal currency on 14th February 1966 .....   <_<

Bill = $100

Big One = $1000

Slang for money is quite extensive. Here’s a site that claims 100 slang words for money but I feel they’re stretching things a bit. 
https://www.wix.com/wordsmatter/blog/2020/09/slang-for-money/

Some sites for money slang are obviously written by some ignorant youngsters (in mental capacity) who think espousing nonsense with authority lends credence to their words. 

Thanks to Breaking Bad we now have the vernacular of "Fat stacks of Benjis".

:D

I like 1920’s slang

C: $100, a pair of Cs = $200.

Cabbage: Money.

Dough: Money.

Fin: $5 bill.
Grand: $1000.

Half: 50 cents.
Jack: Money.

Kale: Money.
Large: $1,000; twenty large would be $20,000.

Lettuce: Folding money.
Sawbuck: $10 bill (a double sawbuck is a $20 bill).

Two bits: $25, or 25 cents.
Yard: $100.

I really enjoyed that link to various slang terms for money. Some of them things, they ain't got a clue.

"A sawhorse looks like the X on the back of a $10 bill, and they added Buck because it's dollars". Jesus. What a maroon. A sawbuck looks like an X. Anyone that has ever sawn a log knows that. So if they put a Roman numeral 10 - an X - on the back of a bill, calling it a sawbuck makes perfect sense.

A fiver is a $5 bill? Never, in all my born days, have I heard a five spot referred to as a fiver. A British £5 note - now that's been called a fiver for decades.

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

A fiver is a $5 bill? Never, in all my born days, have I heard a five spot referred to as a fiver. A British £5 note - now that's been called a fiver for decades.

Just because you never heard it doesn’t mean it never happened. I heard it.

"dead presidents" referring to U.S. paper currency.
Slight misnomer as it would exclude $10 bills (Hamilton) and $100's (Franklin)

I remember reading, several years back, that when talking about pocket money, Diana would ask her boys if they wanted a pink granny or a purple granny. Being semi-intelligent youngsters, they always wanted a pink granny.

English currency at the time all had Elizabeth's face on it. It was printed in different colors to differentiate it. The £50 note was pinkish in color, while the £20 was purple.

7 hours ago, Alpo said:

In Yankee Land the term “fiver” is used for the five dollar bill. 

Yes, that site also had a few mistakes. One that I found had quite a few. 

Here’s a small note on the word “sawbuck”.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sawbuck

I don't remember it, but I believe it. When she was seven I sent my granddaughter a birthday card with 10 deuces in it. She asked her father if it was real.

"No baby, grandpa sent you play money."

Then my daughter corrected him. "It's real. Grandpa collects $2 bills."

In Canada, we replaced paper one dollar and two dollar bills with coins.

The one dollar coin is a Loonie because there is a Loon on the reverse and the two dollar coin is a Toonie

Canadian school yard joke:

Why is the Queen look embarrassed on a Toonie?

Because she has a bear behind (bare).

Toonie_-_Front .png

Bear behind Two Dollar Coin.jpg

Canadian_Dollar_-_reverse.png

19 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

(Australian)

# Quid = Pound = 20 shillings = became $2

# Bob = Shilling = 12pence = became 10cents

#Zac = Sixpence = became 5cents

........ seems that we lost a bit when we switched to decimal currency on 14th February 1966 .....   <_<

At least we have the same face on our money as you do

4 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

In Canada, we replaced paper one dollar and two dollar bills with coins.

The one dollar coin is a Loonie because there is a Loon on the reverse and the two dollar coin is a Toonie

Canadian school yard joke:

Why is the Queen look embarrassed on a Toonie?

Because she has a bear behind (bare).

Toonie_-_Front .png

Bear behind Two Dollar Coin.jpg

Canadian_Dollar_-_reverse.png

I was on one of our family fishing trips in Canada when we stopped for lunch.  We were paying in Canadian paper money and the cashier commented, "The only time we see the $1 bills now is when the Americans bring them back.  

My uncle decided to test my knowledge about money.  He asked me why a dollar was called a "buck."   I made what I thought was an educated guess and said that $1 was the price paid for a deer skin back in the olden days, and it turned out I was right!

10 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Remember the guy who got arrested for trying to use a two dollar bill?

I've had clerks refuse to take them and one called the cops.  His manager excused the LEOs and apologized to me.  I never saw that kid again.

They still print them and I have two.  One was in my father-in-law's wallet along with a $2.00and a $5.00 gold piece when he died.  All were so worn out that they were almost unidentifiable.  The other is in my wallet getting seasoned the same way.

On 9/3/2021 at 3:03 PM, punxsutawneypete said:

I was on one of our family fishing trips in Canada when we stopped for lunch.  We were paying in Canadian paper money and the cashier commented, "The only time we see the $1 bills now is when the Americans bring them back.  

As of January 1, 2021 One and Two dollar paper bills are no longer Legal Tender in Canada, BUT they can be redeemed at face value at a bank.

On 9/3/2021 at 1:03 PM, punxsutawneypete said:

Same with pennies.

2 Dollar bills are still readily available at any bank. They still use the Bicentennial design on the back (the signing of the Declaration of Independence) instead of Monticello that was used up through the '60s.

But $2 bills have also gotten an unsavory reputation in many places, as many "upscale" adult venues that allow the tipping of young scantily-clad dancing maidens demand that $2 bills be used, no Washingtons allowed.

I can only guess where our Canadian neighbors put such tips for the ladies, since they only have coins now...

$2 bills have long had an unsavory reputation. In the early part of the 20th century it was quite a common thing for people to buy votes. And they paid for the votes with a $2 bill.

Thus if you were trying to spend a $2 bill, people believed you had sold your vote.

18 minutes ago, Pariah, SASS #26619 said:

many "upscale" adult venues that allow the tipping of young scantily-clad dancing maidens demand that $2 bills be used, no Washingtons allowed.

Not necessarily scantily clad dancing maidens. But any place I was told that if I wished to tip, the minimum tip was such and such - I would not tip at all. A tip is supposed to be my choice, and if I think the aforementioned dancing maiden is only worth a buck, I ain't going to give her a deuce. Either take what I offer, or don't take anything at all.

Archived