Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

Recommended Posts

Maybe they should rename it the "Sturgis Grand Experiment Rally".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

All those folks coming from all over the country....and traveling back. The nightmare continues.

:(

Edited by Utah Bob #35998
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

America is about freedom. 
In this case, freedom to be stupid. Selfish. Ignorant. 
To top it off these zeroes will then go home and share. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of the bars/businesses in Sturgis are open only for the Rally-races. The rest of the year they are closed.

kR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sawmill Mary and I went west on I70 this morning to a match in Higginsville, Missouri.   A pickup pulling a camper with a dropdown back gate had signs saying that they were going to Sturgis.  We passed it several times as it would lag back and then come past aging. 

 

We seen a lot of motorcycles heading west.

 

As a side observation,   we noticed about half of private vehicle traffic on I70 had out of state plates.   From California to Vermont.  Florida to Wisconsin.  Texas,  Pennsylvania,  Indiana,  Ohio,  Tennessee,  Oklahoma,  lots of Colorado.  For some off reason, there were a lot of plates from George. 

 

Just my conclusion,  American is sick and tired of being told what to do and are getting out.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

Sawmill Mary and I went west on I70 this morning to a match in Higginsville, Missouri.   A pickup pulling a camper with a dropdown back gate had signs saying that they were going to Sturgis.  We passed it several times as it would lag back and then come past aging. 

 

We seen a lot of motorcycles heading west.

 

As a side observation,   we noticed about half of private vehicle traffic on I70 had out of state plates.   From California to Vermont.  Florida to Wisconsin.  Texas,  Pennsylvania,  Indiana,  Ohio,  Tennessee,  Oklahoma,  lots of Colorado.  For some off reason, there were a lot of plates from George. 

 

Just my conclusion,  American is sick and tired of being told what to do and are getting out.

Americans have never had much patience. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Americans have never had much patience. 

 

Not our strong suit. That much is for sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Americans have never had much patience. 

 

Just ask the British :lol:

OLG 

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Warden Callaway said:

Just my conclusion,  American is sick and tired of being told what to do and are getting out.

 

More than that, I think.  We are sick and tired of the "experts" who during the first few months kept changing the story every few days. 

We are sick and tired of the blind panic by officials. 

We are sick and tired of politicians using it to press their agenda. 

We are sick and tired of orders that make no sense - stores over a certain square footage not allowed to sell vegetable seeds or plants, regulations so poorly written that in some places stores for a time weren't selling frozen vegetables.

We are sick and tired of being told that a BLM or Antifa riot is safe from C19, but a peaceful protest against national house arrest isn't.

We are sick and tired of people being threatened with fines or jail for sitting in a chair on the beach - but being told that they could sit in the sand in the same spot.  Or that a fisherman may stand by his pole but not sit in a chair next to it.
We are sick of things like a drive in church, with people IN THEIR CARS being hit with $500 fines for attending, yet pot shops and liquor stores open.

And, the topper, just a few days ago, none of the people in the packed church for the services for Rep John Lewis are subject to the 14 day quarantine that ordinary people are subject to, AND that they were allowed to pack that church cheek-by-jowl in the first place.

Image may contain: 1 person, closeup, text that says '/ was there 3000 years ago when they said "15 days to slow the spread"'

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

 

More than that, I think.  We are sick and tired of the "experts" who during the first few months kept changing the story every few days. 

We are sick and tired of the blind panic by officials. 

We are sick and tired of politicians using it to press their agenda. 

We are sick and tired of orders that make no sense - stores over a certain square footage not allowed to sell vegetable seeds or plants, regulations so poorly written that in some places stores for a time weren't selling frozen vegetables.

We are sick and tired of being told that a BLM or Antifa riot is safe from C19, but a peaceful protest against national house arrest isn't.

We are sick and tired of people being threatened with fines or jail for sitting in a chair on the beach - but being told that they could sit in the sand in the same spot.  Or that a fisherman may stand by his pole but not sit in a chair next to it.
We are sick of things like a drive in church, with people IN THEIR CARS being hit with $500 fines for attending, yet pot shops and liquor stores open.

And, the topper, just a few days ago, none of the people in the packed church for the services for Rep John Lewis are subject to the 14 day quarantine that ordinary people are subject to, AND that they were allowed to pack that church cheek-by-jowl in the first place.

Image may contain: 1 person, closeup, text that says '/ was there 3000 years ago when they said "15 days to slow the spread"'

This is what I am seeing.

As a CDL instructor/tester I am outside with students everyday. Our temps in the area for the past 3 weeks have been 100-105 in trucks that the A/C barely works. I am expecting to go to work tomorrow and be fired for not wearing a mask in the truck or on our driving range while administering tests. I have had a heart attack and now have two stints, used a CPAP machine for the past 19 years with the associated respiratory issues, have high blood pressure, etc etc. BUT the state and my employer have decided that my medical waiver to not wear a mask at work is invalid. Apparently they are more qualified than my doctor of nearly 22 years:angry: All to control the spread of a flu that has a 99.6% survival rate.

Regards

 

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

 

Gateway Kid

 

  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

.And, the topper, just a few days ago, none of the people in the packed church for the services for Rep John Lewis are subject to the 14 day quarantine that ordinary people are subject to, AND that they were allowed to pack that church cheek-by-jowl in the first place.


Image may contain: 1 person, closeup, text that says '/ was there 3000 years ago when they said "15 days to slow the spread"'

Everybody in the church had masks on. As opposed to the idiots at the concert the other night.

The experts have in truth put out conflicting info over the past few months. But this disease is a new one and research  has been revealing new things for months. Doesn’t mean the experts need to be thrown out with the bath water. Now I’m no dummy but I’m sure not a medical professional so I have two choices. Listen to the folks with experience in the field or do my own thing.

I think things would be going better without the dang internet Conspiracy nuts spouting craziness every 5 minutes.

 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

This is what I am seeing.

As a CDL instructor/tester I am outside with students everyday. Our temps in the area for the past 3 weeks have been 100-105 in trucks that the A/C barely works. I am expecting to go to work tomorrow and be fired for not wearing a mask in the truck or on our driving range while administering tests. I have had a heart attack and now have two stints, used a CPAP machine for the past 19 years with the associated respiratory issues, have high blood pressure, etc etc. BUT the state and my employer have decided that my medical waiver to not wear a mask at work is invalid. Apparently they are more qualified than my doctor of nearly 22 years:angry: All to control the spread of a flu that has a 99.6% survival rate.

Regards

 

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

 

Gateway Kid

 

Looks like you have a tremendous lawsuit if they fire you and you have a doctor’s waiver. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Looks like you have a tremendous lawsuit if they fire you and you have a doctor’s waiver. 
 

Hate to say this but if the termination comes about my next stop is the first lawyer I can find.

Love what I do, the people I work with and most of all the students, who are motivated, eager and willing to put in the work to get where they want to go.

For me a near perfect job for the last 8 years.

Never have used a lawyer for anything and did not plan on this but I do not see anything else to do.

Regards

 

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

 

Gateway Kid

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Between the obvious political machinations I've seen among the local government officials,  the repeated incidents of fraud and profit taking reported by various sources, and the constant changes in direction by leadership on several levels, (responding to the whim of an agenda driven media and certain political figures who find fault in everything the opposition does) I'm to the point of responding with civil disobedience wherever I find some ridiculous declaration or directive!!

 

Certain political leaders clearly want to increase the public's dependence on the government by making it more profitable or at least comfortable to not go to work!!  A good friend of mine who is also a SASS member and a decorated former soldier told me the other day that he is considering closing as many as four local businesses because he can't get workers who he was forced to lay off during the original shutdown to return to work!!  They are making nearly as much sitting at home as they were before the lockdown!!  He ain't no cheap, low paying employer either!!

 

From a member of my band, a guy I've know for twenty-five years, who works as an auditor in the hospital industry, I learned that hospitals get paid large fees for identifying and treating patients with COVID 19.  He went on to point out that the common cold and the flu are corona viruses and that both hospitals and other medical facilities and professionals are including cold and flu patients it the statistics that they are publishing!

 

We're all familiar with the reports of people killed in accidents and that passed due to other natural causes such as heart attacks and strokes that are being included in death statistics as Covid victims if there is any evidence of infection!!  These statistics are NOT being challenged in the press and are being pounded into us by politicians of a certain affiliation!!

 

I'll be the first to admit and agree that this virus is dangerous!!  I can agree that we should take it very seriously!  What I DON'T and WON'T accept is the forced shutdowns and the restrictions and denials of the rights of healthy people to go and come and to earn a living and such!!  This is unprecedented in this country, and we've had some pretty damned nasty stuff take a run through our population in the past 240 years!! 

 

 

 

EDIT!:  I can't get away from the thought that, while this episode in our nation's journey through history may be legitimate in origin, it is being used to steal our rights and probably this election cycle!!  The liberals and their minions have too often used any tragedy they could to promote and reinforce their agenda!!!

 

 

 

 

Edited by Blackwater 53393
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Political machinations aside. I would rather look back on this with annoyance and 20-20 hindsight than not look back at all. 
 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Political machinations aside. I would rather look back on this with annoyance and 20-20 hindsight than not look back at all. 
 

 

 

Losing ones rights, property, livelihood, and possibly ones freedom is a bit more than an annoyance, don’t you think??

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Everybody in the church had masks on. As opposed to the idiots at the concert the other night.

The experts have in truth put out conflicting info over the past few months. But this disease is a new one and research  has been revealing new things for months. Doesn’t mean the experts need to be thrown out with the bath water. Now I’m no dummy but I’m sure not a medical professional so I have two choices. Listen to the folks with experience in the field or do my own thing.

I think things would be going better without the dang internet Conspiracy nuts spouting craziness every 5 minutes.

 

 

 

 

The DC order:

II. REQUIREMENT TO SELF-QUARANTINE AFTER NON-ESSENTIAL TRAVEL

1. All residents and persons traveling to or from “high-risk areas” within the prior fourteen (14) days for non-essential travel must self-quarantine for fourteen (14) days following their return or arrival to the District.

2. Persons who are self-quarantining after non-essential travel must:

a. Stay at their residence or in a hotel room, leaving only for essential medical appointments or treatment or to obtain food and other essential goods when the delivery of food or other essential goods to their residence or hotel is not feasible;

b. Not invite or allow guests, other than caregivers, into their quarantined residence or hotel room; and

c. Self-monitor for symptoms of COVID-19 and seek appropriate medical advice or testing if COVID-19 symptoms arise.

3. Persons who are traveling through a “high-risk area,” such as through an airport or by vehicle, shall not be subject to this quarantine requirement.

III. REQUIREMENTS FOR ESSENTIAL TRAVEL

Persons returning to the District after essential travel or arriving in the District for essential travel are required to do the following:

1. Self-monitor for symptoms of COVID-19 and to self-quarantine and seek medical advice or testing if they show symptoms of COVID-19; and

2. Limit their activities involving contact with other persons for fourteen (14) days to the purposes that exempted them from the self-quarantine requirement to the extent possible.

I guess you could argue that the political grandstanding at the service was "essential" in some way.  But, if it is safe to pack a church to the rafters if everyone is wearing masks for that service, it should be safe to pack a church to the rafters any Sunday (or Saturday) if everyone is wearing masks.  

C-19 is a new version of existing types.  It isn't as if they are having to start from ground zero on it. 

Also, we keep hearing 'It isn't like influenza at all!" and then those same people pointing to what worked in 1918 and saying we should do the same, implying that, yes, it is similar to influenza and that there have been no medical advances since then.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Blackwater nails it perfectly.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

 

Losing ones rights, property, livelihood, and possibly ones freedom is a bit more than an annoyance, don’t you think??

Did I or did I not say "political machinations aside"? 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still think Sturgis is a stupid idea.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I still think Sturgis is a stupid idea.

 

HELL!  Bob!

 

Sturgis is stupid when there ain't no virus attack!!

 

I did it once and after that I would stay in Spearfish and maybe pass through Sturgis ONCE!!  Wasn't my idea of fun, but not everybody is like me!!

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I still think Sturgis is a stupid idea.

I agree.  SD has been yukking it up about how much smarter they are than everybody else about this virus, with a state population of less than 900,000.  The largest city in the state has fewer people than will be congregating elbow to elbow in tiny Sturgis, coming from all over the country.  I guess we'll soon find out how smart that is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

BTW, Hubby's GG (or whatever number of Gs) grandfather was elected Sheriff of Meade County, where Sturgis is located, twice.

Edited by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217
add meade county
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nasty Newt # 7365 said:

I agree.  SD has been yukking it up about how much smarter they are than everybody else about this virus, with a state population of less than 900,000.  The largest city in the state has fewer people than will be congregating elbow to elbow in tiny Sturgis, coming from all over the country.  I guess we'll soon find out how smart that is.

Well we found out how smart Memorial Day and Independence Day gatherings were. Not very.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

May as well shake your fist at a tornado.  It's going to happen.   

 

If some agency wants to be of some service,  they could set up drive through testing.  Probably too late to get that set up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not shaking my fist.  They can do what they want.  I just think it's dumb.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the governor of South Dakota, I think herr name is Kristi Noem, a Republican, should cancel the thing right now, even at this late date, and apply for government grants to keep the City of Sturgis whole. Sturgis probably won’t get them, but then they were stupid, stupid, stupid, to even think about allowing the motorcycle rally to occur this year anyway!!  As far as the people traveling there to attend the rally? They should take the loss, because they were stupid to go there to begin with. The Governor should also disallow any privately staged versions of the rally and send State troopers to make sure none occur. My contention is they should shut the whole town down.

 

250,000 people from all parts of the country going there will go back to where they came from and seed CV-19 into a new epidemic.
     REPEAT!!

250,000 people from all parts of the country going there will go back to where they came from and seed CV-19 into a new epidemic.   
 

Cat Brules

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not saying that the Sturgis thing is smart.  As others have said, I've long thought it was kind of stupid.  

My objection is to ever-changing and inconsistently applied policies, rules, and regulation seemingly based on caprice, malice, whimsy, or political agenda.  

Also the double standard on possible treatments.  "We have to get a medicine/vaccine out FAST, even if it means getting it into use without thorough testing!"  vs. "Oh!  We can't possibly rely on the anecdotal or empirical evidence!  We must have long range and thorough testing before we allow its use!"   

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I'm not saying that the Sturgis thing is smart.  As others have said, I've long thought it was kind of stupid.  

My objection is to ever-changing and inconsistently applied policies, rules, and regulation seemingly based on caprice, malice, whimsy, or political agenda.  

Also the double standard on possible treatments.  "We have to get a medicine/vaccine out FAST, even if it means getting it into use without thorough testing!"  vs. "Oh!  We can't possibly rely on the anecdotal or empirical evidence!  We must have long range and thorough testing before we allow its use!"   

We all hate that.  But it isn't an excuse to just say, "Screw it, that does it, I'm just gonna do somethin' stupid."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Nasty Newt # 7365 said:

We all hate that.  But it isn't an excuse to just say, "Screw it, that does it, I'm just gonna do somethin' stupid."

 

I tend to see it as just more of the same. The same stuff we see in the "science" that supports anti-gun legislation.  The same kind of "science" that pushes global cooling warming climate disruption Man Made Climate Change.  Makes me very leery of what "experts" say.  Especially when they say, basically, "This aerosol-spread respiratory virus isn't spread like any other aerosol spread respiratory virus!"  

I'm also leery of it being pushed so hard in the press all day, every day.  Yes, it may have a mortality rate somewhat higher than the influenza.  More and more reports are coming out saying that there may be ten times or more people who have been infected, which just may push the mortality rate below that of influenza.  This fall when we see influenza deaths in the thousands will we see the same draconian nationwide house arrest?  The same shutting down of commerce?  Logic and consistency says that we should.  After all, 60,000 deaths (or more) is nothing to sneeze at.  

We are setting a dangerous precedent, I think.

 

I know, "It isn't like the flu!"  But it is pretty darned similar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those folk who keep insisting that the Covid death count is grossly inflated, and that victims who died of accidents, heart attacks, cancer, murder, alien abduction and vivisection or other causes are being rampantly, widely, and falsely blamed on Covid, I have the following suggestion:  Do your research.  

 

I hate to say it, but for those of us who have taken the time to search beyond Facebook rhetoric, these arguments don't carry much weight.  In fact, they sound downright silly at best, and hysterical at worst.  

 

Do your research.  Please.  

 

Here's one place (there are countless!) you might start:  https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-covid-19-deaths-are-counted1/

 

Quote

The reality is that assigning a cause of death is not always straightforward, even pre-pandemic, and a patchwork of local rules and regulations makes getting valid national data challenging. However, data on excess deaths in the United States over the past several months suggest that COVID-19 deaths are probably being undercounted rather than overcounted.

 

On another note:

 

As a matter of perspective, during the 2009 H1N1 pandemic, CDC estimated that there were 60.8 million cases in the U. S. (range: 43.3 - 89.3 million) cases.  Of those, there were 12,469 deaths recorded.

 

To date (roughly six months into the Covid pandemic) in the U. S. we have roughly 4.9 million cases reported and just shy of 160 thousand deaths.  Or, for roughly 1/12th the number of cases, 5 times the number of deaths as with H1N1.  Granted, the mortality rate has improved from one out of sixteen earlier this year to one out of a hundred now, but that's still a hell of a lot higher than one out of 4,800 with the H1N1.

 

So much for that "Well! People die of the FLU, too!" chestnut.  -_-

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.