SASS Wire Forum

Rifle - Pistol Grip or Straight Stock??

Patagonia Pete

OK .. I have always used a straight stock carbine.

That is what I purchased initially and it has (previously) never occurred to me to even think about trying a pistol grip stock.

When I lever my carbine (regular 20 inch '73) I keep my thumb on the side plate ... the index finger "in" the trigger guard ... two fingers in the lever and the pinkie on the outside (underneath) of the lever ... AND ... rotate my hand.

Sooooooo ... how about those of you that have tried both ... and made a decision to go one way or the other.

Why?? Can you feel the difference or is it really just cosmetic??  Can you switch at will and not care ... OR ... did you switch from one to the other and amazingly cut 3 seconds off your stage times??!? :mellow:

I can feel the difference and I feel the a straight stock allows you to position your hand in such a manner as to get better times with the rifle.  Cut 3 seconds from your stage time I doubt it.  However, I think the guys that shoot Delux stocks think they are the best as well.  Look at what Hells Comin shoots, or Robin or that Kirkham kid that might give you some idea of whats what.    

i like the straight for its traditional look and feel , but i know there are folks that shoot other venues that might find the grip a bit more familiar to the hand , whatever you like , if i had it to do over i might look for straight stock shotguns , 

I happen to like a pistol grip and a long barrel. I seem to shoot my long barrel rifles better than my short barrel ones

Yeah ... that's why it was "amazing" (amazingly cut 3 seconds etc etc ...). 

That was a joke ...  

Yes mine was tongue in cheek as well.  Many delux shooters slap the trigger while users of the other choice often trip the trigger.  You shoot with some of the best riflemen around watch them ask them  

I don't know nutttin' but all 4 of my '73 & an 86 & and of my hunting rifles and shotguns have pistol grip stocks.  So what do I know, to each their own.
Shoot & have fun.  :D,

Years ago, when pistol grips were hard to get, but everyone "had to have one", we laid the one on top of the other to see what the big deal was.  Very little dimensional difference in the usable part of the lever and stocks.  Like a lot of things, I think the choice comes down to which one looks best to you, or which one you may have started with because it's what you had or could borrow/find.  I see a lot of pistol grip rifles with the crescent butt plate cut off to mimic the carbine.  Personally, I like the Shotgun Butt stock style, which is a straight grip style stock, but Uberti doesn't offer that.(it provides a higher comb so I can get a good cheek weld)  I restocked a Uberti years ago and have used that until recently when Winchester/Miroku made a run of shotgun butt style guns.

I've tried shooting a pistol grip rifle a couple times and I'm just more comfortable with the straight stock which is all I ever had. I think it's whatever you get used to!

If you have access to both try this...............Pick them up and shoulder them with your eyes closed.  Once you get them mounted securely into your shoulder and get a good cheek weld then open your eyes.  Which one lines up the sights better?  Also cycle the actions with your eyes closed.  Simply feel the movement of your hand.  Which one do you like better?  Last but not lease, it's recommend your rifle and shotgun stocks have the same profile.  Not at all a necessity, but it's believed that the similarity helps you get good consistent shoulder mounts under match conditions. 

The early ones with the pistol grip had triggers with a more pronounced curve.  That seemed to position the trigger just right to STAB my finger.  So, I like the straight stock better.

Anyway a pistol grip stock on a lever gun just doesn’t look “Cowboy” to me.

Personally I could care less what setup is faster 

Life is to short to own ugly guns .

All my Leaver Guns are straight stock guns .

Just Sayin. 

Rooster  Rrrrr Rrrrr Rrrrr :D

My main rifle is a pistol grip, I like the way it picks up when it is staged. Grab it same as the shotgun (it has a pistol grip) and so do both pistols.  It is what 

I'm used to I guess. Used to shoot straight stocked Marlens and to be honest I don't know if I even pay any attention to the difference after the BEEP.

I prefer the checkered pistol grip Winchester’s deluxe sporting rifle with a 20” barrel.

The  checkered straight stock would be my second choice.

my hand position is further forward with the pistol grip, and that feels more natural for me.

comfortable movement is usually faster.

Hard to beat the new Carty Winchester’s...E036B4F8-353A-486F-93C4-320E8745992C.thumb.jpeg.58970328f7ecaa354af864a98ecf379e.jpeg

Yep ... got that .. The lever is shaped differently .. that is the real issue. 

Maybe.  But I only have two fingers in the lever and they contact the front of the lever just behind the trigger.  I think it's insignificant.

Archived