SASS Wire Forum

New Chevy Blazer

Yeah, kinda ugly. Not much ground clearance.

All the car companies have to ping off each other. This swoopy curvy look all started with the Porsche Cayenne. Then Nissan made the Murano which looked almost identical. Then Mazda did it and Mazda is 50% owned by Ford so Ford had to do it and do on...

People buy them and that’s what matters to the car builders. 

11 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Have you guys seen the new Blazer? It looks like every other "Crossover" out there. The old Blazer, in the 70s and 80s, was more truck than car. The new one is an insult to the name. And I'm a Jeep Guy!

image.jpeg.d08ed5aab2c773410768c25807e51acb.jpegImage result for 75 chevy blazer

Only thing I see is a picture of a Chevy Blazer and some sort of crossover SUV.  Did you post the wrong picture? :P :lol:

I guess I may be the only one but I think it's pretty cool looking! Is it an old time Blazer? No! It's a crossover SUV and it'll probably sell like hotcakes!

https://2020chevy.com/2019-chevrolet-blazer-availability-dimensions-concept/#more-1172

The problem for me is that the new Blazer is a crossover.  I would have preferred the new blazer to be a new *SUV* and I mean a real one, based more on a shortened Colorado chassis than a taller Camaro .  Unfortunately, that wouldn't sell as well, so here we are.

I had one of the old S-10 Blazers, and it was a pretty rugged little rig. I currently have an XJ Cherokee, and I wouldn't trade it for one of the new craptastic Fiat Cherokees if you sweetened the deal with some cash. None of these new resurrected nameplates are worth a damn if you expect to put them through hard use or take them off road. Like CC said above they're designed to be comfy road vehicles for soccer moms and young dads. No wonder the old XJs and Blazers are going up in price, because they're all that's left if you want a rugged off-roader.

I suspect people are just more upset they actually named it Blazer, rather than being upset they built yet another crossover. Nevermind that it has more horsepower and can out accelerate and out corner the original blazer. All while providing better fuel economy, more crash safety, a cabin with much less NVH, and no vinyl seats. 

GM is a business, and I suspect as a business, they understand the Crossover Blazer will sell better than a truck Blazer in this day and age. If you really want a truck-based Blazer, buy an old one and spend the same amount of coin to restore it. And yes, pretty much every sedan and cross over has the same silhouette; designs to minimize air drag tend to have the same shapes. 

I mean sure, I love me some single action revolvers, but I'm still going to carry a Sig high capacity semi-auto when it matters.

I'm a fan of the small SUV's, I have a Buick Encore, 4 cyl. turbo, plenty of room, rides great, gas mileage is about 32 city and highway combined! I don't need a truck or 4 wheel drive and I'm certainly not gonna pay the prices they want for trucks nowadays! Outrageous!

1 hour ago, Rooster Cognizant said:

I suspect people are just more upset they actually named it Blazer, rather than being upset they built yet another crossover. Nevermind that it has more horsepower and can out accelerate and out corner the original blazer. All while providing better fuel economy, more crash safety, a cabin with much less NVH, and no vinyl seats. 

The point is, if I want a vehicle with those attributes there are already tons of cars and crossovers out there. What's lacking in the marketplace is a decent, modestly-priced  off-road worthy vehicle. Sure, you can spend $40K or more on a Trailhawk version of that puny little Jeep Renegade, but it still won't beat my XJ as it lacks ground clearance (note how little the new Blazer has as well). The rest of the pack are all pushing $50K or more for a Trailhawk Cherokee or a Wrangler. I don't want or need a 4-wheeled computer with a button for rock mode, snow mode, sand mode, and mud mode. I want a solid axle, locking hubs and lifted suspension. Let the soccer moms be content driving around with heated leather seats, 8 cup holders butter-soft suspensions and an entertainment system suited for the worst ADHD-inflicted little brat imaginable.

I saw one when we picked up my wife' new Equinox.  I thought it looked like an Equinox with a different grill.  Yeah.  Not impressed.  

On 6/7/2019 at 3:31 PM, Sixgun Sheridan said:

The point is, if I want a vehicle with those attributes there are already tons of cars and crossovers out there. What's lacking in the marketplace is a decent, modestly-priced  off-road worthy vehicle. Sure, you can spend $40K or more on a Trailhawk version of that puny little Jeep Renegade, but it still won't beat my XJ as it lacks ground clearance (note how little the new Blazer has as well). The rest of the pack are all pushing $50K or more for a Trailhawk Cherokee or a Wrangler. I don't want or need a 4-wheeled computer with a button for rock mode, snow mode, sand mode, and mud mode. I want a solid axle, locking hubs and lifted suspension. Let the soccer moms be content driving around with heated leather seats, 8 cup holders butter-soft suspensions and an entertainment system suited for the worst ADHD-inflicted little brat imaginable.

As you pointed out, someone already makes a solid axle simpler vehicle for serious off-roading; the Jeep Wrangler.  Of course they dropped the XJ and replaced it with the "new" Cherokee in large part because it's not profitable to have too many models of hard-core off-roaders.  Jeep is basically a money printing press for FCA, and was for Daimler and Chrysler before .  If they had kept so many of that type of vehicle in their lineup - that would not be the case today. 

Wrangler sales had a really nice bump in 2018, but most years, there are not enough sold for an automotive company to decide they want to tool up a vehicle just to share that small pond with Jeep, especially since Jeep is reducing their number of vehicles for that pond. Then convince people they should buy their vehicle instead of the Jeep.

The Chevy Equinox and GMC terrain combined often sell more than double the number of Wranglers. and they play in a very large pond to be able to increase sales if they make a good enough vehicle. Plus those models will share many parts with other crossovers, which lowers the uniqueness but also lowers the cost to manufacture, allowing for higher profits.

I wouldn't make one either if I ran GM, I don't see enough real demand for the cost of design and tooling. 

On 6/7/2019 at 10:59 AM, Rooster Cognizant said:

GM is a business, and I suspect as a business, they understand the Crossover Blazer will sell better than a truck Blazer in this day and age. If you really want a truck-based Blazer, buy an old one and spend the same amount of coin to restore it. And yes, pretty much every sedan and cross over has the same silhouette; designs to minimize air drag tend to have the same shapes. 

I mean sure, I love me some single action revolvers, but I'm still going to carry a Sig high capacity semi-auto when it matters.

The fact that they call it a Blazer IS the point. I couldn't care less that there is yet another crossover car on the market. I foresee no point in time when I'll have one. Naming after a good SUV is like calling your SIG an SAA. It's NOT the same even though they provide a lot of the same function.

Let me leave you with my signature line from one of the Jeep Discussion groups I'm a member of:

"Let's be honest here. Jeeps,are utilitarian and temperamental, crude, loud, rough, cramped, bad on gas, impractical, but they are capable off road and a hell of a lot of fun to drive!"

Mebbe instead of "Blazer" they shoulda named it the "Sparkler."

I think that's what I'll start calling the thing.  :)

Differentiation!  ^_^

The fact that they call it a Blazer IS the point. I couldn't care less that there is yet another crossover car on the market. I foresee no point in time when I'll have one. Naming after a good SUV is like calling your SIG an SAA. It's NOT the same even though they provide a lot of the same function.

Let me leave you with my signature line from one of the Jeep Discussion groups I'm a member of:

I'm sure GM will regret the decision and kick themselves in the rear many times for not calling everyone up and getting their opinion on the name. 

• 1 month later...

I have no issue with the Blazer other than they stuck the name on this vehicle. I'm sure it is nice for what it is. The car companies make what the people will buy and apparently the public will purchase pickups coming in at nearly $100,000. Seems like a foolish purchase considering the cost of ownership and the huge depreciation hit. I can't justify putting money like that into a depreciating asset when real estate and stocks typically appreciate.

• 2 weeks later...

Bringing back this thread. I did not realize GM made the decision to make the new Blazer in Mexico. Bad move in my opinion. 

In light of the multiple plant closings here in the U.S. (Especially Lordstown which could have made it easily) - I'm thinking GM didn't think that decision through all that well.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/general-motors/2019/08/02/mexico-made-chevy-blazer-becomes-political-pariah-detroit/39885271/ 

Archived