SASS Wire Forum

What Jobs Will Be Left

Yul Lose

The Career Re Do thread got me thinking about what jobs will be lost over the next quarter century. Mrs. Lose showed me an article that says over 40% of the jobs in this country will be lost to technology over the next quarter century. So in your opinions what are the fields someone would get into that will still be around in 25 years? Almost all of the jobs I held in my working career are gone. What do you think?

Jobs left?

Really high salaried.

Low wages.

Nothing in between.

There will be a thriving business for the army of technicians needed repairing all the technology that keeps breaking down... 

The music industry is always changing but instrument repair will always be around unless EVERYONE quits playing music!;)

8 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Good automobile repairmen, plumbers, and electricians will still be able to make a living.

I wish our schools did a better job of teaching the trades. Here they did away with woodshop, metals and electronics. They have a vocational school but they only recommend it for the "trouble" kids. We will always need these skills. It's a shame. 

1 hour ago, Michigan Slim said:

I wish our schools did a better job of teaching the trades. Here they did away with woodshop, metals and electronics. They have a vocational school but they only recommend it for the "trouble" kids. We will always need these skills. It's a shame. 

Agreed.  And if I recall your  occupation correctly,  those who return waste water back to potable water should always have job security.  B)

J-Bar speaks truly!

Michigan Slim and I got into our common trade because people always need safe drinking water, and they always need their flushed waste treated.

I became a medic and then a nurse as well but I'm in my sixth decade and no wish to go back into wearin' white scrubs again so likely I'll keep on processin' second hand political promises!

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

The music industry is always changing but instrument repair will always be around unless EVERYONE quits playing music!;)

Well if technology replaces the need for instruments there won’t be any instruments to repair. Electronic keyboards could replace the piano. :(

Japan went through their tech boom in the 90's. They have to hire tradesman from other countries because they got over educated in the tech fields.

They lost nearly an entire generation of men in the war, when the next generation stepped up and rebuilt Japan they didn't teach their kids the trades.

Now they are screwed, they have to hire people from countries they don't like. Does this sound familiar? The trades will always be a good skill set, now I see the pay scale on the upswing because the number of skilled men/women are dwindling. Everyone needs a certain skill set just to survive, this is something that is passed on from generation to generation, once it's gone you're at the mercy of the wolves.

19 minutes ago, Assassin said:

Japan went through their tech boom in the 90's. They have to hire tradesman from other countries because they got over educated in the tech fields.

They lost nearly an entire generation of men in the war, when the next generation stepped up and rebuilt Japan they didn't teach their kids the trades.

Now they are screwed, they have to hire people from countries they don't like. Does this sound familiar? The trades will always be a good skill set, now I see the pay scale on the upswing because the number of skilled men/women are dwindling. Everyone needs a certain skill set just to survive, this is something that is passed on from generation to generation, once it's gone you're at the mercy of the wolves.

Bingo. Japan’s birth rate is also very low, not near enough to maintain their population. 

3 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

I've been beating that drum for almost forty years.

The school my kids went to have done away with drafting, machine shop, welding, pottery, electrical, auto mechanics, home economics, drafting, wood shop, and anything else that the kids could have earned a living with right out of school.  How many jobs do the womens' studies or alternate life styles classes, musical history, or a host of other crap classes fill?  Answer: all ten of them nation wide.

Another reason I walked away from public education in 1986.... one of many reasons.

My AC repair guy and I were talking about this a while back.  He stated that when your heat or AC is out you want it fixed now.

3 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

+100000000000000000000000000000000000000

I want to know when making a living using your hands became a bad thing.  You can earn good money in those fields faster than you can almost any job that requires a college degree.

2 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

Well if technology replaces the need for instruments there won’t be any instruments to repair. Electronic keyboards could replace the piano. :(

Electronic keyboards need repair also!!!

2 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I got into PC repair ten years ago thinking it'd be a safe bet. Unfortunately consumer electronics have become cheap commodities, and most people would rather throw them away and buy the latest model than spend $$$ getting the old one fixed.

4 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

They don’t get repaired they get replaced. I used to work as a two way radio, mobile phone technician and could diagnose and repair down to the component (diode, resistor, capacitor, transistor, etc....) level but they don’t do that anymore. If something breaks they change out a board, screen, whatever or they replace the entire unit. I trained a guy that became one of the best diagnostic techs in the business, other shops used to send him radios and IMTS mobile phones to repair because their guys couldn’t diagnose and repair the problem. Well he went to work for a large cellular carrier and for the last 20 years or so all he did was switch out boards or reprogram, they had no test equipment, soldering stations or any of the tools we needed to do the job when I was doing it.

37 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Gas engines are going the way of the dodo. In another generation or two automobiles will be serviced by electronics experts, not grease monkeys.

Exactly right. You ever been to a Tesla dealership? Whole different world of car repair.

45 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I want to know when making a living using your hands became a bad thing.  You can earn good money in those fields faster than you can almost any job that requires a college degree.

John Gardner was Secretary of HEW for Lyndon Johnson, and made this memorable statement:

7EDAF3C8-9F59-4F91-8780-545CE1EA6E33.jpeg.5be4e60518bbc7e1b40f934c1abbb108.jpeg

46 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Gas engines are going the way of the dodo. In another generation or two automobiles will be serviced by electronics experts, not grease monkeys.

In some cases, they're already being serviced by electronics experts.  They just throw parts at it based on computer test results, in stead of actually thinking it through.

I'm so old that when I was in high school I took printing.  The kind where you had a small tray in your left hand and picked lead letters out of a large slanted tray that had all the lead letters alphabetized in their individual slots.  Lock the letters together and secure it to the printing press and print away.  Just like you see in the western movies when they show the newspaper scenes.  We printed the school paper made all the stationary for the school etc. and it was worth 8 credits.  A totally dead trade today. 

When I left high school I joined the military until compulsory retirement age.  I was an MP, both non-commissioned and commissioned and did another 10 years as a traffic cop.  Two trades that will never die, the military and law enforcement.                            

2 hours ago, Cemetery said:

In some cases, they're already being serviced by electronics experts.  They just throw parts at it based on computer test results, in stead of actually thinking it through.

When I was a kid getting my first car my dad said all I needed to know was "Suck, squeeze, pop and phooey. Take away one and your done." Not anymore! I guess the concept is the same. They just buried it under a hundred more layers.

143786173_LawGavel.jpg.8685134e8ec6455cc2e967b27a2e5271.jpgAttorneys.jpg.0e36ba64f5fc8370e31600882c20a70c.jpg

ATTORNEYS

34 minutes ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

143786173_LawGavel.jpg.8685134e8ec6455cc2e967b27a2e5271.jpgAttorneys.jpg.0e36ba64f5fc8370e31600882c20a70c.jpg

ATTORNEYS

A town may be too small to support a lawyer, but it could always support two lawyers!

3 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

I got into PC repair ten years ago thinking it'd be a safe bet. Unfortunately consumer electronics have become cheap commodities, and most people would rather throw them away and buy the latest model than spend $$$ getting the old one fixed.

3 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

They don’t get repaired they get replaced. I used to work as a two way radio, mobile phone technician and could diagnose and repair down to the component (diode, resistor, capacitor, transistor, etc....) level but they don’t do that anymore. If something breaks they change out a board, screen, whatever or they replace the entire unit. I trained a guy that became one of the best diagnostic techs in the business, other shops used to send him radios and IMTS mobile phones to repair because their guys couldn’t diagnose and repair the problem. Well he went to work for a large cellular carrier and for the last 20 years or so all he did was switch out boards or reprogram, they had no test equipment, soldering stations or any of the tools we needed to do the job when I was doing it.

There's keyboards out there that cost thousands of dollars and they do get repaired. I'm talking about professional quality keyboards and digital pianos . I'm not talking about the $200.00 Casios that you throw in the trunk of your car! Electric guitars are also never going away. Amplifiers and speakers also. There's a lot of really expensive musical equipment out there and it's not just professionals buying them. Churches, schools and just regular folks who want quality stuff!

Have you seen the latest advances in acoustic pianos that have player systems and also hybrid pianos that are acoustic and electric? Instead of cd's everything is in the "cloud". You can get music from your phone to play your player piano now! There's also tons of player pianos out there that still have cd's. Also have you ever seen a Symphony orchestra use a digital piano? The piano is not going away folks, just like all acoustic instruments. horns, violins, drums, guitars, banjos, mandolins etc. All of these instruments will be around long after we're gone! Musical instrument repair may change some but it's not going away!!

2 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

There's keyboards out there that cost thousands of dollars and they do get repaired. I'm talking about professional quality keyboards and digital pianos . I'm not talking about the $200.00 Casios that you throw in the trunk of your car! Electric guitars are also never going away. Amplifiers and speakers also. There's a lot of really expensive musical equipment out there and it's not just professionals buying them. Churches, schools and just regular folks who want quality stuff!

That's good to hear, because it seems everywhere we've become a society dependent on cheap, disposable consumer goods. Even cars are becoming increasingly disposable, with components only being sold as complete factory-sealed assemblies with no user-serviceable parts inside.

The scale of replace vs repair will always continue to shift.  Sure, the keyboard cost $50,000 ten years ago but repairing it cost 5000 and we have to find a good used Framowitz Decoder because they don’t make them anymore and if we buy a new one we also get a Jehossifat Synchronizer. Those kinds of choices will be made.

1 minute ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

That's good to hear, because it seems everywhere we've become a society dependent on cheap, disposable consumer goods. Even cars are becoming increasingly disposable, with components only being sold as complete factory-sealed assemblies with no user-serviceable parts inside.

Read my "edit" to my previous reply, I added a few points!

2 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

The scale of replace vs repair will always continue to shift.  Sure, the keyboard cost $50,000 ten years ago but repairing it cost 5000 and we have to find a good used Framowitz Decoder because they don’t make them anymore and if we buy a new one we also get a Jehossifat Synchronizer. Those kinds of choices will be made.

What keyboard are talking about that cost $50,000 ten years ago??:blink:

Archived