SASS Wire Forum

Standard Manufacturing releases SAA

Just a point if information, no dog in this fight, Standard Manufacturing is taking orders for their new SAA.

TB

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good looking guns, heck of a price for a single action wheelgun that does not even have a rampant colt on the side! JMHO, YMMV.

My first thought is for $1895 I can buy a nice used Colt. I assume they are made in the USA but I can't find anything that says for sure.

For that kind of money I’d rather have a Colt.

11 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

Besides the price, I don't see any choices besides barrel length.  I don't see the caliber mentioned either. 

.45 LC down below.

They will sell some. The guns had better be perfect or they will not sell many. I think I will stick with my old Ubertis. If I have to replace them I will step up to Pietta, unless their lawyers figure a way to mess them up, too.

Imis

18 minutes ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

They will sell some. The guns had better be perfect or they will not sell many. I think I will stick with my old Ubertis. If I have to replace them I will step up to Pietta, unless their lawyers figure a way to mess them up, too.

Imis

Uberti literally shot themselves in the foot to help prevent us from shooting ourselves in the foot. 

39 minutes ago, Stopsign32v said:

Uberti literally shot themselves in the foot to help prevent us from shooting ourselves in the foot. 

They will still sell plenty to people who 1) don't know any better,  and 2) those that were alway irked that they couldn't safely load 6. 

To win back the CAS community,  they need a couple of top shooters demonstrate that they are capable of being competitive and dependable. 

Let's see here.  In one hand, a Standard Manufacturing Replicant in .45.  In the other hand, 3, yes that's 3 Pietta GWs.  That Standard Manufacturing item makes no economic sense at all.  IIRC, Standard bought USFA Tooling.  Makes me wonder if their (Standard) guns will be built to Uberti specs??  I don't actually think they can amortize their start up costs.

10 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

"THE SINGLE ACTION REVOLVER IS UNAVAILABLE TO PURCHASE IN THE STATES OF MASSACHUSETTS, CALIFORNIA AND MARYLAND."

Sigh.

LL

That doesn't make any sense whatsoever for California. Unless their new gun is a double action, there is no legal reason they can't be purchased in California.

36 minutes ago, Redwood Kid said:

That doesn't make any sense whatsoever for California. Unless their new gun is a double action, there is no legal reason they can't be purchased in California.

Not sure about California, but they won't pass the drop test required for sales in MA.

1 minute ago, Chuck Would, SASS # 53289 said:

Not sure about California, but they won't pass the drop test required for sales in MA.

California has a DOJ roster, but all single actions are exempt from the roster. Actually there is one single action that is not legal here. It's the BFR in 45 because it also fires a 410. I'm not entirely certain as to the reasoning behind it. I guess they consider it a shotgun with a barrel too short?

If any of you are familiar with CT Shotgun this is the same company, very high end firearms, I'm sure their quality should be right at the top, let's see when someone reports back after owning one. I owned a number of USFA guns, excellent quality but they did not have the Colt on them.

TB

4 hours ago, Stopsign32v said:

Guess I missed something. Can someone explain what Uberti did in this regard?  Is there another thread discussing this issue?  Thanks

Seamus

Just now, Stopsign32v said:

4 clicks

I apologize, but are you talking about Uberti, cause that's what you quoted in your post?

Just now, Mossy Pops said:

I apologize, but are you talking about Uberti, cause that's what you quoted in your post?

Uberti no longer has the traditional 1873 action of 4 clicks. If you still want that you will be forced to buy a Pietta. Now, not all Piettas are traditional either but some are. No current Ubertis are. 

Just now, Stopsign32v said:

Uberti no longer has the traditional 1873 action of 4 clicks. If you still want that you will be forced to buy a Pietta. Now, not all Piettas are traditional either but some are. No current Ubertis are. 

Thanks. 

One thing I'm seeing on the workmanship of these new SAA's is the way the screw heads align. If that is typical of their builds, they are probably paying attention to the details of the rest of the gun better than most do.

image.png.6212a25c9995a5d44577f3548841cc53.png

1 hour ago, Chuck Would, SASS # 53289 said:

Is that because it doesn't have a safety like Uberti's?? 

In the new Uberti's they have a safety built in the hammer. The firing pin doesn't extend unless the trigger is pulled. This eliminates the first "safety click". I have one and it works fine! It has 3 clicks, I'm not losing any sleep over it!!

22 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

In the new Uberti's they have a safety built in the hammer. The firing pin doesn't extend unless the trigger is pulled. This eliminates the first "safety click". I have one and it works fine! It has 3 clicks, I'm not losing any sleep over it!!

It’s not the four clicks that’s worrisome currently, though I’m sure it’s an issue to purists. The big issues is the amount of failure to fire that’s being reported by those that have them. That’s a big issue for sass but an even bigger one for those using them for anything else. 

3 hours ago, Redwood Kid said:

California has a DOJ roster, but all single actions are exempt from the roster. Actually there is one single action that is not legal here. It's the BFR in 45 because it also fires a 410. I'm not entirely certain as to the reasoning behind it. I guess they consider it a shotgun with a barrel too short?

They consider it a sawed off shotgun just like derringers in .45 Colt/.410.

6 minutes ago, Turquoise Bill, SASS #39118 said:

Uberti has no connection to Standard Manufacturing, SM is in New Britain, CT.

TB

I believe the correlation is in the news that SM bought up the old USFA machinery, which built their single actions based on Uberti specs.

5 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

They consider it a sawed off shotgun just like derringers in .45 Colt/.410.

Well that makes perfect sense. To the knuckleheads in Sacramento that know nothing about guns anyway.

Archived