SASS Wire Forum

Lesson from another discussion

Doc Shapiro

I've been following a discussion on a FB forum.  There's a lesson in the discussion that hasn't been mentioned.  CAS, Golf, Track/Field, and a number of other sports often come down to what's going on between the ears.

In a game like this, you don't ever truly "beat" another person.  To think that way causes you to measure your success against what others do.  You have no control over how others perform.  

Rather, I'd suggest that you just happened to shoot well enough to win.  Reset your expectations, and your performance will improve for a host of reasons..

A positive outlook yields positive results.

I've thought this for a long time Doc.

Last weekend, another GF looked at me after 2 stages and told me that I was 4 seconds ahead of him.

I replied that I wasn't aware of the times and ask why he wanted to tell me this info.

He stated that he was hoping to make me nervous and maybe shake me up a little, considering that he had NEVER seen me nervous.

I replied:  "What's there to be nervous about.   All we are doing is shooting at a piece of steel and hope we complete a stage with no misses or penalties".

I've rarely concerned myself with how well others are shooting.   But on the other hand, I do feel bad for those who aren't shooting well or having eqpt problems.

..........Widder

1 hour ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I've thought this for a long time Doc.

Last weekend, another GF looked at me after 2 stages and told me that I was 4 seconds ahead of him.

I replied that I wasn't aware of the times and ask why he wanted to tell me this info.

He stated that he was hoping to make me nervous and maybe shake me up a little, considering that he had NEVER seen me nervous.

I replied:  "What's there to be nervous about.   All we are doing is shooting at a piece of steel and hope we complete a stage with no misses or penalties".

I've rarely concerned myself with how well others are shooting.   But on the other hand, I do feel bad for those who aren't shooting well or having eqpt problems.

..........Widder

Widder, there's a lot of wisdom in your response.  Thank you.

I’ve been in a wide variety of shooting sports for a long time. Thankfully I learned very early on that you never truly beat anybody. The best you can do is the best you can do. If that happens to be good enough to earn the top spot on that day congratulations. Now get back out there and do even better next time. 

36 minutes ago, watab kid said:

well put , and for those of us that just compete -are not winning- its all about bettering yourself and your performance any where you can , 

I would venture to say that this applies to almost everyone.  Whether you “compete” or not is really a state of mind.  Again, it’s about what’s going on between the ears. 

9 hours ago, Doc Shapiro said:

I would venture to say that this applies to almost everyone.  Whether you “compete” or not is really a state of mind.  Again, it’s about what’s going on between the ears. 

But I've been told that I HAVE nothing between my ears...so...now what?

:blink:

12 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

But I've been told that I HAVE nothing between my ears...so...now what?

:blink:

Phantomborg, you crack me up..... :lol:;)

Thats the same thing they say about me.

P.S. - one of my favorite sweeps is the 2 plate progressive.  I really like it.

Guess who left their brain at home last weekend and earned a nice little 'P' on it?   :o

..........Widderborg 

Years ago, when my knees were much younger, I used to love skiing.  Problem was, I was very bad at it.  Then I read a book titled, "Inner Skiing".  The entire premise of the book was that after a certain amount of time, your muscle memory was perfected and your body knew what to do automatically.  The trick was to let it do it!  So the book provided several different exercises to occupy your mind so that your body was free to look after itself--making all the tens of thousands of movements and adjustments that it needed.  Made me a much better skier almost overnight.  Years later, when I was learning fencing, my Maestro suggested I read "the Inner Game of Tennis"--turns out it was the same author.  And the same premise--Just let your body do what it does.  Stop trying to think and make it do what you want.  You can't consciously think and send messages and review input and make adjustments faster than your body can do it unconsciously.  When an athlete or competitor talks about being in "the zone", this is exactly what happened for them, they let their body do what it instinctively knew how to do-what it had been trained to do.  I find that in everything, even CAS, that if I just distract my mind and  let my body run I do so much better in the long run.  No worries about time, or position, or doing it right.  Just do it to the best of your ability and as Shooting Bull says--some days it just happens to be good enough.

I have always tried to just focus on each stage and not worry about what anyone else is doing. I never look at scores at a multi day match. Realistically though when I know who is in my category I can kind of figure, baring a major train wreck on their part, where I have the potential to place. 

My approch has always been to analyze each match results. What average time per stage would be required to beat half the field, three quarters etc.  When the shoot is over and say I placed third in my category, what would it have taken to take second or first?  

I shoot FCD exclusively now. My goal in practice at local shoots is one second per round on a stage. 10, 10, 4+ = 24 seconds. It's a goal not there yet but my biggest issue was always shooting clean. Now, especially at locals I push and not worry too much about misses. Got to get faster. If I do, it won't matter who is shooting. 

In the "Magnificent Seven", Britt is described as the best with a knife or gun. When asked, "If he is the best, who does he compete against?", the answer was, "Himself!"  I have never won a top-gun award.  But in about two decades of Cowboy Action Shooting, I have always tried to do a bit better, each time.

Guest Texas jack Black SASS#9362

I have always shot against myself and the clock ,that is my fun and when the fun ends I will move on. 

Nonstop is forever telling me to, "get right between your ears."

Saddle Rash told me, "Never Fret over things you can't control."

Anvil Al says, "Just shoot your game."

These are the three guys that have helped me about as much as anyone and their advice gets me through the tough mental part of the game.

Although I must maintain a positive outlook, it usually spells disaster if I'm over-confident so I try to avoid that at all costs.

Training and practice not only builds subconscious skills but it also improves self image.  If you feel successful you'll likely be successful.  And nothing spells success like preparation.

On 7/5/2018 at 4:37 PM, Smoky Pistols said:

Years later, when I was learning fencing, my Maestro suggested . . .

When I learned how to fence I was got stuck with the barbs on the wire.  

and it was hot and dry,

and the horse like to wander off . . . 

1 hour ago, Marshal Chance Morgun said:

Widder, Next time, right before he shoots, yell, "Your shoe is untied." :P

He wears boots..... :o

P.S. - on a similar situation about 3 summers ago, I was on the firing line and was shooting my first firearm of the stage when I heard, what sounded like... "Cease Fire".   I hesitated and the TO said .... "Keep going".

When I finished the stage, I heard it again..... "Cease Fire".

One of our posse members was calling out a shooters name to come to the loading table, and their name sounded like 'Cease Fire'.

We no longer shoot in order but rather 'when ready'.

..........Widder

On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 2:06 PM, Hairtrigger Hayes said:

Training and practice not only builds subconscious skills but it also improves self image.  If you feel successful you'll likely be successful.  And nothing spells success like preparation.

This is so true. On my best shooting days I feel successful and prepared, it's an overall feeling I wish I completely understood so I could make it happen rather than have it just appear on those rare occasions.

Tully

5 hours ago, Tully Mars said:

This is so true. On my best shooting days I feel successful and prepared, it's an overall feeling I wish I completely understood so I could make it happen rather than have it just appear on those rare occasions.

Tully

We can talk about that...

I am in.  Help us Doc.  How do you get the mind to quite down and allow you to  "just shoot your sights"?  And then repeat it! 

9 hours ago, Kirk James said:

I am in.  Help us Doc.  How do you get the mind to quite down and allow you to  "just shoot your sights"?  And then repeat it! 

A while back Duece Stevens recommended a book to me, Zen Golf  .  Yep, it's about the game of golf.  But it focused exclusively on the mental part of the game and there's a couple of exercises in there that are awesome at helping quiet your mind.

My biggest failing in cowboy (other than being fat, slow, clumsy and inaccurate) is my inability to shoot, at my potential, a complete match.

Other than the Borg's that populate the top ranks of our game; I sincerely believe I can run with most of the shooters in SASS on any given stage.  

I just can't seem to put together multiple stages or complete matches without a meltdown or trainwreck.

I know it is completely mental; because there is zero reason that this stage should be 16 and clean and then the next has 3 misses.

If I could overcome this obstacle; my standings would improve greatly.

7 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

A while back Duece Stevens recommended a book to me, Zen Golf  .  Yep, it's about the game of golf.  But it focused exclusively on the mental part of the game and there's a couple of exercises in there that are awesome at helping quiet your mind.

That's a good one.  There are a number of books on the subject.  I find myself going back to Brian Enos' book on a regular basis.  First thing listed on his web site: https://brianenos.com/

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 7:42 AM, Tully Mars said:

Tully

Boy Tully, wouldn't it be GREAT to have the recipe to whip that up any time we wanted?!?!?

20 minutes ago, Hairtrigger Hayes said:

Boy Tully, wouldn't it be GREAT to have the recipe to whip that up any time we wanted?!?!?

Yes Hairtrigger it would be!

I've had many a conversations about it with others and I've had great recommendations of books to read, techniques to try, practice drills to run, dry firing and such.......but I don't take the time. Conversations get a person no where if the advice isn't adhered to.

Tully

On 7/4/2018 at 9:04 PM, Doc Shapiro said:

IReset your expectations, and your performance will improve for a host of reasons..

A positive outlook yields positive results.

You can also reset your expectations and go slow... I've played around with shooting at different speeds in the same stage... I don't set any speed records... but after watching me shoot at my usual 60 second stage pace... it really astounds folks when I rip off a set of 5 quick shots like I used to...  I sometimes stop and ask the TO how much of my 60 seconds I've burned...   it can also really disturb an RO or two when I immediately stop... and ask the RO what target is next?  We can't ALL be awe inspiring, blazingly fast shooters... but we can still be entertaining.  When you can bet someone that your times will be less than half theirs... have them take you up on it... and beat them... that's entertaining.

I often watch a particularly fast shooter... and have thought, "...that's just how I shoot."  At least in my head!  With absolutely no practice... my expectations are pretty low, as far as speed goes... but speed is not the 'end all - be all' of my game.  Sure, it's a component... albeit a minor one for me, I ain't as agile as I once was... a painful knee that moves in all four directions is hindrance to quick movement.  So... since falling down is less graceful than moving slowly and deliberately... clean, smooth stages are today's goals.  With some playful antics thrown in, of course.  

I have read Brian Enos's book several times  and Zen Golf and still struggle.   It is especially tough if shooting on a posse where members are joking or loud. I try to pick my posse  for that reason, but occasionally get on a posse where the posse members are trying to entertain with jokes, stories, or just loud.  Will go back to the books and look for solutions.  If anyone has had this problem and wants to share, this would be the place.  I agree with Creeker that the consistency of  shooting 12 great stages is what separates many great shooters.  It is a mental game.

4 hours ago, Kirk James said:

It is especially tough if shooting on a posse where members are joking or loud. I try to pick my posse  for that reason, but occasionally get on a posse where the posse members are trying to entertain with jokes, stories, or just loud.

Since you have found yourself on our posse more than once...

On behalf of Gawd Awful and myself; 

We're sorry. :blink:

9 hours ago, Kirk James said:

I have read Brian Enos's book several times  and Zen Golf and still struggle.   It is especially tough if shooting on a posse where members are joking or loud. I try to pick my posse  for that reason, but occasionally get on a posse where the posse members are trying to entertain with jokes, stories, or just loud.  Will go back to the books and look for solutions.  If anyone has had this problem and wants to share, this would be the place.  I agree with Creeker that the consistency of  shooting 12 great stages is what separates many great shooters.  It is a mental game.

I have a similar problem but it's not with non-shooting posse members, it's with the current shooter.  While I'm trying to do my pre-stage visualization I have a very difficult time blocking out the bang-clang of whoever's shooting the stage at that moment.  I don't want their speed to influence my mental preparation.  Somebody needs to invent some REALLY good noise canceling ear plugs.  

38 minutes ago, Shooting Bull said:

I have a similar problem but it's not with non-shooting posse members, it's with the current shooter.  While I'm trying to do my pre-stage visualization I have a very difficult time blocking out the bang-clang of whoever's shooting the stage at that moment.  I don't want their speed to influence my mental preparation.  Somebody needs to invent some REALLY good noise canceling ear plugs.  

Shoot FIRST.  If other factors prevent you from shooting 1st, then I'd suggest you're allowing those factors to take precedence over your shooting performance.  

46 minutes ago, Shooting Bull said:

Turn your back to the targets.  Close your eyes.  Visualize yourself shooting the stage in slow motion as you hear the clangs.  And any splash will hit you in the back rather than your face.

You can make it work for you rather than against you, your choice.

Archived