SASS Wire Forum

OT ? about clothes on the line in winter

being a Southern boy I was wondering if you wash your clothes and hang them on the line and they freeze out there . . . then what do you do?

can freezing clothes 'dry' on the line?

do you have to bring them in to defrost and dry them?

always wondered and realized a bunch of cowfolk live in the northern part of our country and would know the answers first hand

cheyenne

That's what clothes dryers were invented for...:D:D

Sublimation is the process by which a solid material turns directly to a gas.  Think of ice cubes slowly shrinking in your freezer compartment.  Through sublimation clothes can slowly dry in freezing weather.

1 hour ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

Sublimation is the process by which a solid material turns directly to a gas.  Think of ice cubes slowly shrinking in your freezer compartment.  Through sublimation clothes can slowly dry in freezing weather.

What he said.

12 hours ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

I never heard it explained that well, but it is (was) well known up here.  Not too many hang them out in winter any more.

Hang them indoors, above freezing outside.

14 hours ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

being a Southern boy I was wondering if you wash your clothes and hang them on the line and they freeze out there . . . then what do you do?

can freezing clothes 'dry' on the line?

do you have to bring them in to defrost and dry them?

always wondered and realized a bunch of cowfolk live in the northern part of our country and would know the answers first hand

cheyenne

Have you been talking to Alpo???:P

5 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Have you been talking to Alpo???:P

I asked that question a good five years ago - maybe more.

My theory was the water in the clothes turns to ice, you whack 'em with a broom handle, the outer ice flakes of, leaving more water to freeze.

I was told that ain't how it works.

I lived with my grandmother for a couple of years in Buffalo, NY.  She never had a dryer.  Winter or summer, the clothes went on the line on the porch.  They always dried, slower in winter than the summer.  No damage to anything that was put on the line.

Archived