SASS Wire Forum

How to clean white hat

Irish Pat

I sprinkle fine cornmeal on it and gently brush the spots in a circular motion with a toothbrush.  Then I brush the entire hat with a hat brush.  The guy at the Hat Barn where I buy my hats gave me this tip and it works really well.  Talcum powder is supposed to work also but I haven't tried it.

Cornstarch and a soft clean sponge will help, but I don't think anything does it as well as a professional cleaning.  My black powder cases leave a real mess.  I just have shooting hats and dress hats and don't worry anymore about the tracks.

1 hour ago, CodyMaverick said:

I sprinkle fine cornmeal on it and gently brush the spots in a circular motion with a toothbrush.  Then I brush the entire hat with a hat brush.  The guy at the Hat Barn where I buy my hats gave me this tip and it works really well.  Talcum powder is supposed to work also but I haven't tried it.

+10

You can also use a piece of stale white bread

I purchased a hat sponge at a hat shop that really works well for getting the skid marks off of a hat.  AND, I annealed my brass (.45 LC), don't get much soot on my hat or rifle now.

Blackfoot

The Fort Western Wear used to sell hat sponges for about a buck apiece.  They were really reasonable.

I think the skid marks give the hat character!  Makes you look like a real shooter!

Mo

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Cornstarch. Not cornmeal!

LOL!

Since you said this, it's entirely possible that the guy at the store said cornstarch and I heard cornmeal.  Since I had some cornmeal at home I used and it does work very well.  Although I did have some reservations about the abrasiveness of the cornmeal for this purpose.   I don't have any cornstarch to compare it to.

Since the last time I cleaned it I have bought a brown hat just like it and use it for shooting.  Now I suppose I'll just be using the white one for playing dress-up.

Oh, I can't resist. What self respecting cowboy would care about a few 'skidmarks' on his hat? Try shooting Black Powder sometime and try cleaning those marks off a white hat. Of course, I am a bad guy and always wear a black hat.

P.S. I always liked the scene in Monte Walsh (the Tom Selleck version) where Monte dunks his hat in a rain barrel after Chet's wedding. I guess he thought it looked too new.

My newest hat is silver belly and I actually enjoy the marks those BP rounds leave. When I bought the hat, they offered stains as an additional option. I said no thanks. I'll make my own. 

Corn starch or baking powder and a good hat sponge are the best ingredients.  Mix that with an abundance of patience and a little proper technique and you'll get good results.  

On the top side of the brim and the crown, be sure to brush only clockwise.  Most hatters sand their rough hat bodies in this direction and brushing the same keeps the felt smooth and offers he best results.

Brush your powder into the hat and allow it to sit for a while. This allows the cornstarch or whatever to absorb any residual oils or lubes from the stain. Then brush the felt until all of the powder is removed and the felt is free of dust and debris.  Repeat as needed!

4 hours ago, Snakebite said:

After you apply the Baking Powder, what temp and how long do you leave it in the oven?

Don't put it in the oven!!  It'll make the brim rise!!  :ph34r: :lol:

Archived