SASS Wire Forum

Revenant & Hateful 8, think I am going to pass on these

Nimble Fingers SASS# 25439

Tried to find the post about new Western movies coming out, and I would be the first in line if I thought it was up to the caliber of the Tome Selleck movies or the two Earp ones, but I just saw on Drudge a commentary on both of these in the Hollywood Reporter and I think I am going to run the other way. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/revenant-hateful-eight-how-blood-844748 I am not into beastiality with regards to "Revenant" and I don't "cotton" to women get slapped around so much that you wonder if they have any teeth left somewhat quoting the article. These movies are not what we are wanting with regards to entertaining westerns with the values we all hold dear! However, before I raise some fur up on someone's "buffalo coat", I am saying they are not for me and not judge anyone else who does go to see them. But after watching Crimson Trail again last night for the upteenth time, I just wish we could get more Louis L'armour (sp?) books done instead. I didn't go to the Lone Ranger because I grew up watching Clayton Moore make it his mission that we all went away in awe of his TV character, it just seemed to me to be a charicature of the whole concept, but again didn't fault anyone who did go to it. So I am just brining this article up to all of you who might be interested in seeing those movies so you are prewarned, God forbid that one of them gets an Oscar and we get more of the same.

Nimble Fingers

Beastiality? Revenant has nothing to do with beastiality. It is about a mountain man attacked by a bear and his harrowing adventure to survive. It is a remake of the Richard Harris movie Man in the Wilderness.

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3415645696/tt0067388?ref_=tt_pv_md_3

Beastiality? Revenant has nothing to do with beastiality. It is about a mountain man attacked by a bear and his harrowing adventure to survive. It is a remake of the Richard Harris movie Man in the Wilderness.

Based on a true story as well.

Yep, "In an 1823 expedition of the uncharted American wilderness, explorer and fur trapper Hugh Glass (Leonardo DiCaprio) is attacked by a bear and left for dead by members of his hunting team. The movie follows Glass' navigation of a vicious winter to survive."

Probably an example of the mediocre level of education of the article's writer. Bear = Beast, Beast attacks Man. Ergo, Beastiity! What could be simpler?

Of course, the Bear tore the Man up pretty good and in this "modern" remake of, "Man in the Wilderness," the Bear may also have...... uhh, never mind!

Don't watch Kirt Russell's latest bone tomahawk it is very dark and while it doesn't actually show it but the Indians are canibles. But I did like the modern western Unbranded about three high school graduates that go and buy a string of wild mustangs done in as then green break them before transporting them to Mexico for a border to border trail ride using only the wild mustangs.

Howdy Nimble,

Regarding the new Lone Ranger movie, I personally liked it a lot. I thought it was a good fun movie. I think the early negative reviews hurt the attendance which made it lose money. The move is told from Tonto's perspective. I think someone that likes wholesome westerns will really enjoy it if they are not expecting it to be like the original Lone Ranger series we watched on Saturday mornings as kids. It has a lot of comic moments which I thought worked well. If you rent it let me know what you think.

CB

Based on a true story as well.

It looks like an excellent movie and I'll go to the movies and see it on a really B I G screen! ;)

i remember seeing the richard harris version , it would take a pretty good remake to top that one , i enjoyed the lone ranger - but it was pure entertainment in my mind , not much real western value ,

I won't pay to see the Tarantino movie, (Hateful 8) after his tirade about law enforcement. If it makes it to the small screen I may take a look.

I won't pay to see the Tarantino movie, (Hateful 8) after his tirade about law enforcement. If it makes it to the small screen I may take a look.

This with a plus.

The Long Ranger was a good spoof. Lots of humor. You do need an off beat sense of humor. The Revenant movie sounds like a good flick. If I allowed the politics of Hollywood directors to control my movie selections I wouldn't go to movies.

The Long Ranger was a good spoof. Lots of humor. You do need an off beat sense of humor. The Revenant movie sounds like a good flick. If I allowed the politics of Hollywood directors to control my movie selections I wouldn't go to movies.

I understand your view, just hate to line the nest of someone like him (Tarentino) with the highest dollars (theater prices). On 9-11 there was a convenience store chain that immediately raised gas prices from $.75 to $4.50/gal. They later apologized and put the prices back (after about 4 days of this crap). To this day, I do not patronize them ... UNLESS I need something they have (gas, coffee, & etc.) and they are the only show around. I won't let my resentment for their actions ruin my day, but I have the small satisfaction of knowing that the several thousands of $ I've spent in similar facilities did not go into their pockets. If you like movies, you don't have much choice except Hollywood. Some of these guys are even in our camp. Not may, but a few. I'll stay away from h8fulll 8, but may bite on Revenant.

CR

Maybe that is what the original story is about, but based on what I am reading, I am thinking that I do not then like the interpretation of the director's of the bear attack. It isn't like Brad Pitt's attack in "Legend of the Falls", and if I am reading it correctly it may not actually be but does look a lot like, so again I will pass. http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/623481/leonardo-dicaprio-mounted-raped-by-bear-revenant

I will look for other movies to enjoy and keep hoping for more of the movies I explained above to be made. As for those that enjoyed the Lone Ranger remake, glad you did, I couldn't.

Nimbles

I read the "Express" article. I'll just say that I think it would be tough to direct a bear. And, I was surprised to read that one reviewer proposed that the extreme violence and brutality portrayed in the film makes it unsuitable for female audiences.

Might be tough for a female bear to rape a man. Just sayin.

Like a lot of things on the internet the "raped by a bear" thing is BS. The studio issed this statement this morning.

“As anyone who has seen the movie can attest, the bear in the film is a female who attacks Hugh Glass because she feels he might be threatening her cubs,” a Fox spokesperson said in a statement to Entertainment Weekly. “There is clearly no rape scene with a bear.”

The Revenant is considered a frontrunner for next year’s Oscars, with DiCaprio widely tipped for a tilt at his first Oscar.

I'm looking forward to seeing the movie.

True, for maybe 90 years or so now.....

OK - you can find alternatives. I was referring to the Big Screen, popcorn, and active shooter type of experience

Forsaken is due out soon. Looks like it might be a good'un http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2271563/

Good cast !

It does look good. Had not heard about this one yet. Thanks...

CB

"Ruthless landgrabbers," huh? Sounds like a re-write of an old Gene Autry oater. Corporate freewheelers ride in (on a train) and hire some thugs to strongarm the locals. Real life?: Thugs wind up shot in the back pdq and fed to the buzzards. Freewheelers are tarred and feathered, if they're lucky. Cantankerous Dad continues as a spring-loaded xxxhole. Son brings home his American Indian squaw. life continues. Hollywood version? Locals stoically endure depredations by hired thugs until the hero emerges, righting wrongs, re-engaging old sob dad, winding up with the beautiful daughter of the head freewheeler. Bad guys are wiped out in a 100-round per person shootout.

Sounds good, I'll have to go see it.

Obviously, the reviewer felt Ol' Glass should have reasoned with the female bear, and told her he meant her and her cubs no harm. They should try that with a real griz! Hopefully, if they do that, they will have left their Last Will and Testament with their survivors! The Indians (oops, sorry...Native Americans) used to say, "Black bear can be dangerous. Grizzly...even he/she don't know what it will do until it does it!" Let's see the reviewer let "Ol' Effraim" chew and claw them to doll rags, and then crawl 100 miles to someplace! I'll definitely see The Revenant, and probably compare it to "Man in the Wilderness". Also want to see the movie about the whale that sank that whaling ship.

Maybe that is what the original story is about, but based on what I am reading, I am thinking that I do not then like the interpretation of the director's of the bear attack. It isn't like Brad Pitt's attack in "Legend of the Falls", and if I am reading it correctly it may not actually be but does look a lot like, so again I will pass. http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/623481/leonardo-dicaprio-mounted-raped-by-bear-revenant

I will look for other movies to enjoy and keep hoping for more of the movies I explained above to be made. As for those that enjoyed the Lone Ranger remake, glad you did, I couldn't.

Nimbles

Mr. Nimbles,

Thank you for not attending as it will make more room for everyone that enjoys a goood movie. And, thank you for posting this so all these, many fine folks can express their opposite opinions.

You are welcome sir, and I am glsd to be of service in allowing people to see for themselves information so they can make a educated choice in whether to go or not, similar to movie critics, I am allowing them to be aware of certain aspects of the movies. But siince I live in SE Florida and you are in Scottsdale AZ, I can't take credit for those empty seats that you will have next to you as I don't even think the femine fans go to his movies as much anymore. But then again I wouldn't have sat next to you at Django either, so no need in passing the buttered popcorn over to me.

Nimble Fingers, whose glad Scottsdale is ffar enough away from Green Valley so he won't run into Palo Verde when he visits his Mother and checks out Tombstone and Old Tucson Studios!

Playing Devil's advocate...the fewer people who go to see westerns, the fewer westerns will be made.

Playing Devil's advocate...the fewer people who go to see westerns, the fewer westerns will be made.

That's a fact.

Usually if the critics pan a movie, I enjoy it. "...those who can, do; those who can't criticize..." or something like that! :P:P

Archived