SASS Wire Forum

Truck Gun

Blastmaster

Answer: Here in The People's Democratic Republic of Massachusetts, leaving any firearm in your vehicle unattended will earn you time in prison. It is therefore, something that does not get done around here. Heck, just putting it in a rack in your pickup truck to drive to the range is a good way to get arrested.

Roger that. No 'truck gun' in Massachusetts.

Can ya have a trunk monkey? :lol:

In our neck of the woods we use our truck guns little different than most people. I carry at least 2 pistols and most of the time 2 rifles with me. The pistols are a .45 cal S&W revolver and a 1911. The rifles are .308 , 222 or a 6.5X 284. We have a lot of Varmints, Coyotes and Wild Hogs. And what every else that might run across the prairie.

1911 in a OWB holster secured to the steering column, even with the bottom the dash, by a nylon belt same color as dash.

Easy retrieve and mostly concealed from outside view.

2 extra mags in door pocket.

Removed at night when away from home.

AR

+1

When I leave vehicle the gun and mags get locked in a Nano safe secured by cable and lock to seat support and tucked under the seat, out of sight.

I keep a Mosberg 835 Pump 12ga with a 20 inch barrel and a Ruger Mini 14 Ranch Rifle in 223 in my truck all of the time, thus truck gun. My carry firearm is just that, carried concealed all of the time.

Mine is a 9mm Star M-43 with most of the Starvel finish worn away, spots of rust, and rubber grips worn nearly smooth. I have five magazines for it and they ride in the truck, too.

I bought it new about 1990 and carried it in my boot for 6 or 7 years before find better things and ways to protect myself. It's ugly a original sin, but the most reliable hand gun I ever owned except for a barch of SAA (originals and copies) in .45 and 357 that I've owned over the years.

When I was a kid my truck gun was a Marlin .22 carbine that rode in clips on the left front door. I took that idea from The Sheriff Of Cochise TV series. It saved my life when I was attacked by jack rabbits, cottontails, crows, groundhogs and one very aggressive skunk. (They'll chase you, you know, just to stink you up. :rolleyes::P )

I always thought that was neat as hell.

Roger that. No 'truck gun' in Massachusetts.

Can ya have a trunk monkey? :lol:

THAT was funny. :lol: I would imagine you would have to have a permit for that too in Massachusetts.... :P

My car 'truck' gun is a Glock G26 which stays in the car stoked with 13 rounds of 9 mm and 36 extra rounds in 3 magazines. My carry gun is a Colt Combat Commander in .45 loaded with 8 rounds, a spare mag on me and three more mags in the car. My truck 'truck' gun is usually a .223 Bushmaster AR with 3 spare magazines.

i

For all that claim they have truck-guns,, do you usually leave said guns in vehicle?

edit: if you put gun in, when you get in, and take it out, when you get out.. I think of that as more your carry gun... but that is just me.

Please tell us that's a rhetorical question. Trustworthy cow-pards & pardettes ain;t likely the only ones readin' this.

i

Please tell us that's a rhetorical question. Trustworthy cow-pards & pardettes ain;t likely the only ones readin' this.

Had to look up the definition of rhetorical question.

Yes, I rather knew/suspected the answer and J Bar Binks post #25 said it best (or what I thought it should be) for what a truck gun was. I don't have a dedicated truck gun because of the risk of thief when I am away from vehicle. . I was wondering if others did the same?

I'm not a fan of leaving a gun in an unattended vehicle. If it's in my car, it's on me. When I leave the car, it's on me.

I'm not interested in providing some street criminal a firearm.

Right there with you, I'd be damn embarrassed to come back to my truck only to find some guy having just broken into it and having just found my gun!

My guns stay under my control at all times - that's my idea of gun control.

SC

Truck gun, that would be the Sig 238 or 938 on my hip & the Glock 19 in my sling bag which also serves as a brief case.

I do frequently carry a rifle in the truck also.

Answer: Here in The People's Democratic Republic of Massachusetts, leaving any firearm in your vehicle unattended will earn you time in prison. It is therefore, something that does not get done around here. Heck, just putting it in a rack in your pickup truck to drive to the range is a good way to get arrested.

`

HK, here in Texas if a cop asks you if you have a gun in your truck and you tell him no, they are liable to issue you one!

this time of year im generally down to a 1911 and a trap shotgun , summer - there's always two trap and sporting clays shotguns a rifle and two to three handguns depending on my range plans , on SASS days that goes up exponentially as does the round count ,

Construction site job box chained down under tonneau cover in Truck, Marlin 22 Papoose and 410 Snake charmer inside.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-32-in-x-19-in-Portable-Storage-Chest-2032-OS/100189569

Center console lock box for handgun, store in there only when traveling since I have a CCW for constant carry...

Jeep has under rear seat full length locking storage tray, Henry 22 Mini Bolt in takedown case, S&W 22 317.

My concept is plinking/hunting/survival. Not some kind of Mad Max Survival Scenario. Battle rifles are available IF needed but not stored in Vehicles...

THAT was funny. :lol: I would imagine you would have to have a permit for that too in Massachusetts.... :P

I think it's illegal to put a politician in the trunk.

Shouldn't be though. ;)

I think it's illegal to put a politician in the trunk.

Shouldn't be though. ;)

Yes, that is against local laws. BUT, politicians themselves are allowed to get drunk, drive their cars off of bridges, leave the passengers to die, and then get reelected to the Senate until they die of old age.

In California, you can still carry an unloaded, concealed long gun in your truck. (Not in the gun rack anymore unless you're rural)

My truck gun is a Marlin SS 1894 .44 Magnum with a 20" barrel. A little more range, accuracy, and knockdown power than ya'lls hand guns. A rifle was good enough for Duke and Lucas McCain.

Fillmore

Right there with you, I'd be damn embarrassed to come back to my truck only to find some guy having just broken into it and having just found my gun!

My guns stay under my control at all times - that's my idea of gun control.

SC

Here is a widely known fact: 20% of all cars in any parking garage have a gun in them. So if a crook wants a gun, all he has to do is break five windows. I do have a truck gun, but you would have to know exactly where to find it.

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Para Ordnance P-14 .45 ACP.

My idea of a "truck gun" is bit different. My interpretation of a "truck gun" is a working long gun. A sturdy rifle. A tool. And with the vast majority of people living and working in cities/towns/suburbs/subdivisions, a "truck gun" has no use. If you have need of a weapon in those environs, it will likely be a handgun, and it should be on you. A "truck gun" stays in the truck while you spend your day working out of it; feeding a couple hundred head of cattle, repairing fence, spraying a few hundred acres of pasture or cropland for weeds, etc. A long gun gets in the way, so it stays in the truck to take care of a coyote stalking your calves, or perhaps an easy elk in the meadow (in season, of course), or whatever situation might arise for a working farmer or ranch hand.

You beat me to it. On my place, which is small by Texas standards (55 ac.), it's usually a '92 Rossi .357 stoked with max loaded 170 gr. HP's. But when I'm out in big ranch country working cattle, fixing fences, etc., it's more likely to be a '98 Mauser in .308 that's been converted to Scout configuration.

I keep a handgun in all my vehicles, but don't consider them truck guns, but rather "just in case guns".

Winchester 94 30/30 !

It hits hard and not a modern black gun :-)

Archived