SASS Wire Forum

Extra rifle rule

T-Bone SASS #36388

Can a shooter carry one rifle loaded and one rifle empty to the firing line along with his pistols and shotgun?

Just in case of malfunction of a rifle the shooter could declare it broke and reload the rifle #2 to finish the stage.

That's an interesting question! 4 years ago or so I was having issues with my rifle (73) about half way through a match and asked about doing that. The consensus was unsure so I didn't and made it through the rest with my backup Marlin, which I didn't like as much.

This probably doesn't count, but a local match that's non-sass sometimes has 13 or more rifle targets per stage. The targets are small and far, sometimes very heavy knockdowns, and you are allowed to use rifle calibers if you want. I see guys come with some really long barrel guns that can hold 13-15 rounds, while others will bring two rifles to the stage instead of loading on the clock. it's a lot of fun to be able to dust off some of those rifles that don't get used often. I once saw a guy bring three rifles, one was a single shot. He shot the first target with that, and then finished up with the other two rifles on a 15 target stage.

I'd venture it would be a violation of the stage instructions as to where to place THE SINGLE RIFLE, as the stage instructions usually state "stage rifle at ..." not rifles.

Penalty?

Failure to stage guns or ammunition at the designated position(s) or location(s) is the fault of the competitor and scored as a procedural unless the competitor is able to correct the situation, unassisted, while in the process of completing the stage under time.

From both the Shooter's Handbook, and the RO-I manual where it is on page 20, item 33.

However, I have heard that the shooter has been allowed to return to his cart to retrieve either ammunition or a gun that he failed to stage or place on his belt or in a firearm, if he can do it safely with good muzzle control, while the clock is running. :lol: Which, of course, would be fully compliant with the "unless" clause in the rule cited here.

Therefore, park your gun cart close and check that a wide open path exists to the cart. :lol::D:ph34r:

Good luck, GJ

I would tend to agree on not taking the extra rifle. However it is understood that if you need to go back to your cart in the middle of a stage to get shotgun shells you may so long as you don't take your pistols with you. I wonder if retrieving a working rifle would be allowed as well?

yu cud always, ground your pistols and run to your cart, retrieve the extra rifle, to back, holster your pistols and shoot the new rifle, I reckon....

yu beet me by a minute smokey!!!!

yu cud always, ground your pistols and run to your cart, retrieve the extra rifle, to back, holster your pistols and shoot the new rifle, I reckon....

I'd tackle him.......

or take two up, with 5 rounds each..... he'd still beat us!!!

How about "NO" for an answer?

That should end that debate hopefully???

Didn't Gunzilla use to bring Two Shotguns to the line.

mebe it did'nt count cuz they were welded together into One Gun

So...........................what do you mean by that :lol::lol:

Had a guy call the shop today looking for ammo, we had it. He asked how much $16? I told him $26. He said, how much? I repeated $26. This went on a while longer with him saying, are you sure? I finally asked him, what color is the sky? He said blue. I responded......are you sure? :wacko:

wut if we sed NO to that???? after all, you asked!!

wut if we sed NO to that???? after all, you asked!!

Why he'd hafta apply the rules on ya!!

Didn't Gunzilla use to bring Two Shotguns to the line.

mebe it did'nt count cuz they were welded together into One Gun

Ask him how that worked out for him at EoT.

<_<

That should end that debate hopefully???

Wanna bet?

So, does this also mean no going back to your cart for a spare?

If y'all really want me to bring this to the ROC for a majority opinion, I can...but don't expect an immediate answer...half the Committee are either enroute or prepping for EoT.

I've never seen one do it.

It begs the question, can we bring an extra shotgun to the line?

How about an extra pistol or two?

THAT is covered specifically in the rules...NO.

REF: SHB p.10

maybe you cud holler, JOSIE WALES, unload yur pistols and reload them and shoot the rifle targets with yur Josie pistolas!!

is that Your final answer ??? Do I understand this correctly, A shooter Can Not go back to his cart and retrieve extra ammo or firearms to complete a stage if needed and done in a safe manner. I only ask because things do come up at EOT that No shooter, score keeper or TO has ever seen before. If I have to make the call ???? Only 600 shooters at EOT what are the odds that a shooter has a malfunction or brain fart. Inquiring minds want to know.. Thanks

Speaking to the issue of going back to your cart for a spare firearm be it rifle pistol or shotgun, you would need to bring it back to the line via the loading table if it were allowed. :D

is that Your final answer ???

YES...until such time that the ROC decides that the rules allow staging an extra firearm (which I do NOT foresee happening...EVER)

Do I understand this correctly, A shooter Can Not go back to his cart and retrieve extra ammo or firearms to complete a stage if needed and done in a safe manner.

A shooter CAN go to cart (or LT) to get ammo/firearm if s/he forgets to stage it (i.e. in belt or on prop) to avoid the "P" for failure to do so.

REF: SHB p.22 / RO1 p.20

There is no provision to stage an extra firearm in event of a malfunction.

I only ask because things do come up at EOT that No shooter, score keeper or TO has ever seen before. If I have to make the call ???? Only 600 shooters at EOT what are the odds that a shooter has a malfunction or brain fart. Inquiring minds want to know.. Thanks

Odds are good that there will be a malfunction...I'm betting good money that the Range Masters would NOT ALLOW a shooter to go get a replacement firearm mid-stage.

To solve this issue we did away with allowing the shooter to leave the firing line in Wild Bunch. It is a SDQ to leave the firing line to go anywhere other than directly to the unloading table to clear firearms. I have seen many very unsafe things happen when a shooter leaves the firing line to go to their gun cart. Just an unsafe incident waiting to happen. JMHO

Closest I've seen to this was a fella who shot muzzleloading shotguns, and he brought an extra set of loaded barrels to the line. This was at a monthly, so maybe they gave him more leeway than he'd have gotten at a major match.

Muzzleloading shotguns are NOT LEGAL for main match use...he got plenty of "leeway" in being allowed to use illegal equipment to compete in the first place.

SASS-rules require CARTRIDGE-firing shotguns.

REF: SHB p.10 "Shotgun gauges"

Thanks Pale Wolf, I had a shooter that could not get on the wire. I will print this out and give it to him. Thanks again..X 2. T-Bone

I don't know why you didn't ask me. You know good and well I don't mind helping you with the rules.

Goody, you know good and well.........

Let me start over;;;;; Goody we,,,,,

Goody, it just ain't the same unless we see each other first. We did not have time to discus the perimeters of our bounties the last time I saw You, so It would not be fair to ask of things I myself could not control without the expeditious help from my friends. And You ask Why??

Archived