SASS Wire Forum

Pietta is making a Python reproduction?

Colt had discontinued the Single Action Army when Bill Ruger showed them that there was still a market for single action revolvers.

Winchester had discontinued the 1873 but Uberti showed them that there is still a market for the 1873, so now Winchester/Miroku has started making a premium rifle.

Maybe this Pietta clone of a Python will be a good revolver by itself, maybe it can be a platform for tuning by gunsmiths, I don't know. Wait and see. If this Pietta version is successful, then maybe the Python can be revived. I don't see any downside to this revolver coming on the market.

Hats off to Pietta for making the effort.

When I was a kid in the 70s my mom was a dispatcher at the local pd, she won a colt Python I really wanted the gun in my 20s I think she sold it to one of her friends I wish I was more persistent about getting it

I hope Alisandro reads this. I am not impressed at all by the photo. If they make it in Royal Blue or high polished nickel 4" barrel I would strongly consider buying one. I can't afford the real deal. My partner carried a Python back in the seventies. I was stuck with a Trooper Mk III. Not quite a Python but it was still a fine gun. Told my partner that if he ever decided to sell it I'd like to have first crack at it. But alas he gave it to his son after he retired. I hope the son still has it. I don't think he ever carried it on the job.

I hope Alisandro reads this. I am not impressed at all by the photo. If they make it in Royal Blue or high polished nickel 4" barrel I would strongly consider buying one. I can't afford the real deal. My partner carried a Python back in the seventies. I was stuck with a Trooper Mk III. Not quite a Python but it was still a fine gun. Told my partner that if he ever decided to sell it I'd like to have first crack at it. But alas he gave it to his son after he retired. I hope the son still has it. I don't think he ever carried it on the job.

I still have mine...Bought it the mid 70s...Wish I had bought more of them...

TL

Colt will never make a Python again. Whoever's running Colt has just about discontinued all they're classic guns. They're all into the AR market!

I hope Alisandro reads this. I am not impressed at all by the photo. If they make it in Royal Blue or high polished nickel 4" barrel I would strongly consider buying one.

Or maybe in polished stainless. I know it's not as nice as nickel, but it's much more durable.

Pietta is a better gun maker than they are photographers...... An affordable Python would be nice indeed!

I'm not a Colt DA guy in any way shape or form - my personal belief is a Smith & Wesson 19 or 586 with the right work done to it is a better gun.

But, a Python (even to a Smith & Wesson guy), is more than than just high polish blue or a vent rib barrel.

The Python was Colts last true effort at being a world class gun maker.

Hand fitting, polishing and much less concern with production numbers were key to the Python.

With all due respect to the good folks at Pietta - that is not a Python.

I had a four inch Python and a four inch model 19 in the mid seventies and shot them both a lot. I always shot the Smith better. Sold the Colt, still have the 19.

The Colt Python is a beautiful gun. Always wanted one. A friend let me shoot his last fall. Didn't fit well in my hand. I prefer the S&W 686. Still would like to have one to look at.

Scotsman

I have a Diamondback. Not quite the same, but I enjoy it. I carried it as a duty weapon for several years.

I have a Diamondback. Not quite the same, but I enjoy it. I carried it as a duty weapon for several years.

I have a Diamondback .22.

It dreams of having a big brother. :P

Waimea

:FlagAm:

The Colt Python is a beautiful gun. Always wanted one. A friend let me shoot his last fall. Didn't fit well in my hand. I prefer the S&W 686. Still would like to have one to look at.

Scotsman

I had one in the late 70s-80s. Hated the grips, so replaced them with Herrett Shooting Stars. THEY fit my hand like they were custom fit for me. I have a set on a 625 now.

I find it saddening that a company such as Colt cannot produce the products that there is a public demand for. I do understand manufacturing costs are high for a revolver of this type but this gun would sell. Look at the demand of the SAA and how those who buy them, buy them in pairs and don't blink at the cost. My hats off to Pietta. I hope it is a fine, functioning product that the buyer will be proud of.

I would love to have one in nickle or high polish stainless with adjustable night sights & 4 inch barrel. I would even consider a blued one if they could duplicate the Royal Blue that Colt does.

• I wish I could get ahold of a Smith Model 19 w/2.5 inch barrel with red ramp front sight & adjustable white outline rear sight. I used to have one & regret ever parting with it.

Howdy,

A long time back I bought a copycat revolver. I forget all the details.

But it was way less reliable than I ever thought it would be.

I guess I looked pretty disappointed cause the dealer gave me back ever cent.

I got into shootin Rugers about then.....

Live and learn.

And once in a great while get lucky.....

Best

CR

Howdy,

A long time back I bought a copycat revolver. I forget all the details.

But it was way less reliable than I ever thought it would be.

I guess I looked pretty disappointed cause the dealer gave me back ever cent.

I got into shootin Rugers about then.....

Live and learn.

And once in a great while get lucky.....

Best

CR

Ron, a few years back (07) I bought a pair of Great Western II revolvers through EMF & they're made by Pietta. They did not need a action job as they came from the factory with an action that is smooth as melted butter on glass & a 3 lb trigger pull. I shot my first clean match with those guns and I've never had a problem with them.

Just because you had some bad luck doesn't mean they're all bad. I've had some bad foreign guns but I also have some great ones, namely CZ, HK & Sig.

In my humble opinion, the Python was a fine gun. It's almost as good as a Smith & Wesson 27, which is the finest .357 made in my book. I would look at the Pietta.

Archived