SASS Wire Forum

LARGE, CLOSE TARGETS?

Bart Solo

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People are going to shoot where they have fun period. MVV in AR hosts the AR state shoot where the average pistol targets are 5-10 yards rifle 10-20 yards and shotgun 7-12 yards average size. They also pull in 50-90 shooters every month. People come for the fun. Sure some want targets moved in but they keep coming back.

DC

Splash back is a red herring to disguise the agenda against big and close.

When the facts conflict with your objectives; ignore the facts.

Seems to be so. It's nice to agree with someone. ;)

I still wish those with a splash back problem, especially MDs, would read Calamity Jane's report. It clearly states methods of eliminating splatter.

Well the facts and just the facts ma'am is that most CAS targets have crept in over the years to where the rifle and sg targets are a mite too close now. It is just flat plain ridiculous to be shooting at rifle targets set right behind the pistol targets. I have stated many times but the kool aid kids don't want to hear it -- the purpose of the rifle is the projection of power over a distance, not to see who can toggle the thing the fastest. If your rifle and pistol targets are within just a few steps of each other why use a rifle at all. Just bring 4 pistols to the line and have at it. Big and close pistol targets is fine, handling those is the purpose of the pistol. Big and close rifle targets makes us a laughingstock to other shooters. And yes oh how well I know and how sad it is that the kool aid kids don't care what other gun games think of us.

It is way past high time to do away with the hazards and problems associated with lead projectile ammunition. There is a viable solution available and we should adopt it yesterday. And that is frangible ammo. A decade or so SASS commissioned a study of using such bullets for our game and several prominent shooters reported back. There were problems, chief among them being the frangibles tended to fall apart during the crimping process. So we have soldiered on with our medieval tech lead rounds. Frangibles have come a long LONG way since that study and should be approved and encouraged yesterday. The recent approval of polymer coated pills was a step in the right direction.

Another thing we could do is go to poly self-healing reactive targets. The bullet knocks it down, everyone sees it is a hit, the bullet passes harmlessly thru and the target bounces back up to await the next impact. Adopting these two simple things would totally eliminate splatter. Either or both and I say both need to be put on the fast track. Sure it would take some time but all good things come to those who desire to improve the game. Targets could be replaced over time. The self healing polymer targets are cheaper than AR500 and hold up to thousands of rounds, especially our low powered ones before being worn out.

Sure would like to know where everyone is seeing problems.

Because I am not seeing it at any of the clubs I shoot.

Then you are lucky or have a thick hide or don't care.

If you or yourself see people routingly shielding their face with their hand/forearm/book/clipboard,,,, there probably is splatter.

If you or yourself see the TO hiding behind the shooter in certain segments of the stage or stages, ,,,, there probably is splatter.

If spotters tend to gravitate to one side or the other of the firing line, when there is a clear view from the other side... perhaps they are avoiding the splatter zone.

If you or yourself see people ducking their head so the hat brim is shielding their face,, there probably is splatter.

If you or yourself see people turning their back or standing way in the back of the bay,,,, there probably is splatter.

Have you had to dig lead out of your body/arm/face? there probably is splatter.

Does this happen at every club? I hope not. How often? Varies from range to range.

How much is acceptable? Sounds like an individual call on how much each wants to tolerate.

Will you every totally eliminate splatter? Totally is a big word, but a goal worth working toward.

Is B&G the sole factor? No just one of the variables.

Vote with your feet is another option.

When discribing CAS to a Newbie,,,, do you mention that they will be hit with shards of lead up to the size of quarters at some ranges? But the fun factor is worth it.

AA, care to go to a match where someone is randomly shooting at your face/body/legs with a BB gun while you are running the stage?

Nothing like being hit and continuing on, only to check for blood after the final shot and you are at the ULT.

Seems to be an awful lot of posterior contusion in this thread.

I don't want to give up my lead bullets. I enjoy casting them, shooting them, picking them up and re-casting them.

I don't want to give up my steel targets. The audible clang is incredibly satisfying and the thud of a poly target leaves me wanting.

Splatter. Do what you can to protect yourself and for goodness sake, try to have a good time! Long sleeve shirts, hats, safety glasses etc etc etc. Even my 13 year old daughter it's man enough to take an occasional splatter event.

Some of ya'll are gettin' soft in the saddle. Are we shootin' CAS or making salsa commercials?

0.jpg

Blastermaster.

I did not say I don't ever get hit with something.

But so far it has not been a issue around here. And most every club is big and close.

So what I want to know is. If we are shooting big and close and not having an issue.

And I have seen issues at clubs with father smaller targets that was not in good shape

and not placed properly.

Still don't see now it can be blamed on big and close.

If you or yourself see people routingly shielding their face with their hand/forearm/book/clipboard,,,, there probably is splatter.

If you or yourself see the TO hiding behind the shooter in certain segments of the stage or stages, ,,,, there probably is splatter.

If spotters tend to gravitate to one side or the other of the firing line, when there is a clear view from the other side... perhaps they are avoiding the splatter zone.

If you or yourself see people ducking their head so the hat brim is shielding their face,, there probably is splatter.

If you or yourself see people turning their back or standing way in the back of the bay,,,, there probably is splatter.

Does this happen at every club? I hope not. How often? Varies from range to range.

How much is acceptable? Sounds like an individual call on how much each wants to tolerate.

Will you every totally eliminate splatter? Totally is a big word, but a goal worth working toward.

Is B&G the sole factor? No just one of the variables.

When discribing CAS to a Newbie,,,, do you mention that they will be hit with shards of lead up to the size of quarters at some ranges? But the fun factor is worth it.

AA, care to go to a match where someone is randomly shooting at your face/body/legs with a BB gun while you are running the stage?

Nothing like being hit and continuing on, only to check for blood after the final shot and you are at the ULT.

Are we talking CAS or Combat? In all my years, and I'm always volunteering for spotting duties as is BlueJeans right up there taking score, so we're both at the lines. I've been hit twice, shotgun pellets. BlueJeans has never been hit. MT

Allie, I don't see anything in that article that says distance plays no factor and/or can't be used to reduce splatter from substandard targets. It sounds like a pretty good setup, but everyone is not going to do the exact same thing. I bet in a few years when the targets get all beat up, she'll follow up and tell us they had to move the targets further away until they could get the steel replaced.

Hmm...SASS is more anal that most shooting sports about where a muzzle is pointed, where you can walk or not with a loaded gun, etc. Safety conciious is great.

Then they completely downplay the one there WHERE PEOPLE DO GET HURT! Is the splatter deadly? No. Call 911? (heard of it being done when a participant hit in the neck couldn't stop the bleeding).

So which is it? Be safe or throw caution to the wind and hope nobody loses an eye?

Tusco is big and close (compared to most clubs around here).
YOU DO GET HIT - and often. When someone is shooting you do not turn sideways unless you have side protectors on your glasses.
I've been hit I think at every shoot at least once, and 4 or 5 times at some. Pistol and shotgun mostly (not everyon uses knockdowns on shotgun)

I've not been bloodied but at 6 shoots last year saw others bleed 3 times. Once in the face and twice in the hand.
My last shot I got hit with splatter - the ENTIRE bullet bounced back at a very nicely flattend circle with the base still identifiable. No energy to speak of and I was wearing a coat (cold day) and it hit me in the chest. Had it hit me in the face it would have not been fun.

And isn't fun why we do this?

Blastermaster.

But so far it has not been a issue around here. And most every club is big and close.

So what I want to know is. If we are shooting big and close and not having an issue.

And I have seen issues at clubs with father smaller targets that was not in good shape

and not placed properly.

Allie, I don't see anything in that article that says distance plays no factor and/or can't be used to reduce splatter from substandard targets. It sounds like a pretty good setup, but everyone is not going to do the exact same thing. I bet in a few years when the targets get all beat up, she'll follow up and tell us they had to move the targets further away until they could get the steel replaced.

This was written in 2006. I haven't heard any specific rebuttals as she requested.

I would recommend strategically placed hay bales, not a change in distance from the shooting line, if a venue cannot afford new targets as needed. You will still get splatter with damaged targets, no matter the distance from the line or bystanders. So, it is best to still use the hay bales for them regardless of distance.

Facts are facts and the facts are, most current shooters like bigger and closer targets. If you want to put the rifle targets out aways they need to be larger than the pistol targets. As far as splatter I have been shooting for around 15 yrs and the only time I took a hit that drew blood was over 10 yrs ago - guess where the targets were. Most splatter now are small pieces from shotgun targets and I think it may be that the shotguns pellets might be a little harder lead than the bullet lead causing them to splatter as opposed to flattening out and dropping.

It's the loading and unloading table area that get hit the hardest with the most splatter. At the last match, two stages were too close and the shotgun targets of the second stage where close and angled towards the unloading table of the first stage. When the second stage shooter got to the shotgun targets, people on the unloading table turned their backs to the targets or held up clipboard or moved away because of the intensity of the splatter.

At our club in Paradise NE Indiana we have started to address this with loading and unloading tables with corrugated roofs and a screen across the back. This really helps with splatter from other stages. We also will place a wood pile next to targets as well as the use of ore cars at the mine as well as dividing berms. Splatter is part of this sport and will always be there and that is why we wear glasses.

KK

Blastermaster.

and not placed properly.

By no means am I totally blaming Big & Close for the Splatter/injury....

I've said it many a time. If your club shoot incident rate for splatter is nill to nothing, then you do not have a problem and whatever you are doing is working. Blaze away.

I am saying there are many factors that could/do contribute to splatter back into the posse...of which distance is just one contribution.

I've also suggested the possible legal issue for a club and it's officers letting such dangersous conditions to knowingly exist.

Funny, in eight pages, no one has really tried to defined B&C. I can only suggest (for definition purposes) anything closer than the minimum distance suggested by SASS is 'CLOSE'. BIG can be anything bigger than SASS recommendation.. BIG really has no contribution to splatter as long as the surface is in good condition, orintated and angled to Best Management Practice. And finally, secondary backstops (hay bales or facade fronts??) are stratigically placed,,,, if needed.

Now, what would happen 'if' the targets were 36"x36" or 48"x 48" set at 20yds?30yds? Everyone could still rip them off as fast as they could toggle their rifle or thumb their revolver. Would be still as fun I would guess. Besides it costing way more money. I only say this to show that not everything has to be in your face, arms reach, to have/satisfy the need for speed type of fun people want in SASS matches.

Lastly, I am not a fan of small and far.

Are we talking CAS or Combat? In all my years, and I'm always volunteering for spotting duties as is BlueJeans right up there taking score, so we're both at the lines. I've been hit twice, shotgun pellets. BlueJeans has never been hit. MT

I was talking CAS.

The stuff I posted about posse members trying to protect themselves was not made up.

If you are not being hit, then whatever the club is doing is good.

See post #264

At our club in Paradise NE Indiana we have started to address this with loading and unloading tables with corrugated roofs and a screen across the back. This really helps with splatter from other stages. We also will place a wood pile next to targets as well as the use of ore cars at the mine as well as dividing berms. Splatter is part of this sport and will always be there and that is why we wear glasses.

KK

Yup

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Agreed. That's what I've been saying all along! This is supposed to be fast and fun. big targets up close lt even mediocre shooters (and lets face it, most of us are mediocre) can get most of our shots on that big piece of steel.

Big is OK!! Up close and in yer face, NOT!! I don't enjoy being splattered with lead all day. It is nearly impossiable to post a steel target up close and not have lead splatter. MHO.

Al

I understand that more shooters enjoy shooting at huge pistol targets at 5 yards and rifle targets at 8 yards as opposed to those same targets at 8 and 12 yards. I get it. What I don't get is describing 2" smaller targets at 8 and 12 yards as Small and Distant. I know why in this discussion people do continue to use the terms: small and distant,bullseye match, sniper match, precision match. It's because it sounds silly to describe targets set a couple of yards back as small and distant. Saying to someone "I don't want SASS to be a long range match." Who wouldn't agree. You can hide behind that and let the other person think you are really talking long range,100 yards maybe, until they find out you're only talking about 8 and 12 yard targets.

14"-16" targets at 8 and 12 yards are big and close. Just not quite as big and close as 5 and 8 yards. Smoking Gator

So far with all these posts no one has changed their opinion like most similar issues brought up over and over on the Wire. The only way to change target distance trends is to convince the majority of match attendees that bigger and closer is not good. Good Luck with that, especially since most never read the Wire.

I understand that more shooters enjoy shooting at huge pistol targets at 5 yards and rifle targets at 8 yards as opposed to those same targets at 8 and 12 yards. I get it. What I don't get is describing 2" smaller targets at 8 and 12 yards as Small and Distant. I know why in this discussion people do continue to use the terms: small and distant,bullseye match, sniper match, precision match. It's because it sounds silly to describe targets set a couple of yards back as small and distant. Saying to someone "I don't want SASS to be a long range match." Who wouldn't agree. You can hide behind that and let the other person think you are really talking long range,100 yards maybe, until they find out you're only talking about 8 and 12 yard targets.

14"-16" targets at 8 and 12 yards are big and close. Just not quite as big and close as 5 and 8 yards. Smoking Gator

With all due respect and solely my personal opinion.

If you put 14" pistol targets at 8 yards and advertise that as big and close...

You will end up with a significant number of unhappy shooters.

But I guess you would only have to listen to them once, because I'm pretty sure you would never see them again.

Everyone seems to want terms defined - I'm good with that.

IMO

No pistol target smaller than 16" should be called BIG

And no pistol target further out than 5 yards should be called CLOSE.

Rifle

Same standard as pistol for plate size

Distance - if it is out past 12 yards - it aint CLOSE

That's what "I" personally like.

I like 'em in nice and CLOSE and if I have to set the steel - that's where they are going.

But...

What will I shoot (without whining)?

Pistol targets of reasonable size from 3 yards out to 8 yards (3 yards is more fun)

Clay pigeons at muzzle distance to 3 yards.

Rifle targets of reasonable size from 3 yards (yes, I have) out to 20 yards.

Clay pigeons at muzzle distance to 8 yards.

And...

When will I complain? (Start mumbling things like long range, bulls eye match or sniper shoot?)

Pistol targets of less than reasonable size (10" or less) at more than 3 yards

Pistol targets of reasonable size at more than 8 yards

Rifle targets of less than reasonable size (10" or less) at more than 8 yards.

Rifle targets of reasonable size at more than 20 yards.

Can I hit a pistol target at more than 8 yards?

Yes. I am more than capable of hitting shots at 25 - 50 yards with a cowboy pistol on a boringly regular basis.

Can I hit a rifle target at more than 20 yards?

Yes. I am more than capable of hitting shots at 100 yards (+) with our pistol caliber rifles on a boringly regular basis.

But the fun (for me) is we are in a old west gunfight - saloon distances - across the card table - bad guys breaking into my hotel room.

I love the adrenalin rush that comes with the buzzer and running to position. Heel sliding thru the dirt (and wondering if all this beef is going to stop).

Pushing down the door and confronting the crooked Sheriff.

Stabbing the bad guy and stealing his pistol to shoot it out with his partners.

Playing make believe and then stopping to acquire a solid sight picture, properly breathe and obtain good body position takes me out of my fantasy.

If I want to prove I know how to shoot for precision - I can do that anytime.

I can go out and make pretty multi-shot single hole or clover leaf targets.

But that seems too much like work.

If I am dressed up in silly clothes and an over sized hat - I am not there to work.

I want to laugh and giggle and sling lead downrange.

When I was a youngster pointing my index finger at the neighbor kid, yelling "Bang, you're dead" - I never once worried about properly breathing or using the rear sights on my fingers. I was having fun - I was just playing cowboy.

That's all that is important now - I want to have fun - I just want to play Cowboy.

Big & Close makes it a lot more fun.

Creeker. You said that having a pistol target 14" at 8 yards shouldn't be advertized as big and close. I understand most shooters like them bigger and closer. But doesn't it sound a little funny to describe that same pistol target as small and distant or a bullseye target. Any other action shooting sport that would describe it that way? I understand what SASS shooters want, just having a problem with how anything but the real big and real close targets are being defined. Smoking Gator

Creeker. You said that having a pistol target 14" at 8 yards shouldn't be advertized as big and close. I understand most shooters like them bigger and closer. But doesn't it sound a little funny to describe that same pistol target as small and distant or a bullseye target. Any other action shooting sport that would describe it that way? I understand what SASS shooters want, just having a problem with how anything but the real big and real close targets are being defined. Smoking Gator

But we are not "any" other action shooting sport.

And so - their opinion, definitions or ideas have no bearing on our game.

And like most folks - we exalt the things we like and denigrate the things we do not - even if they share some commonality.

I'm a big (too BIG) fan of pizza.

I love a good pie, heavy on the sauce, double cheese, pepperoni. MMMMMMMM

I can give you a 100 reasons why that is the best pie in existence

(and if there were only a good pizza joint in Las Vegas - I would be a happy camper)

But exchange the pepperoni for anchovies?

Eeeewwwwww - Gross!

That is not a pizza, that is not suitable for dog food.

Serving that "thing" to prisoners would be considered cruel and unusual punishment.

But I personally like Pepperoni - I don't want anchovies at any price.

And I will tell you how great pepperoni is and how anchovies are an affront to nature and I will not eat this pizza/ nor patronize the place that tries to feed this to me.

Someone who doesn't mind anchovies thinks I am being ridiculous.

Because they do not understand my repulsion for the product.

So to make sure they understand my level of repulsion, I am forced to use terms insulting enough (or even overly so) to convey my opinion.

Is an anchovy pizza really a war crime?

(Yes) Okay, not really - but I will make gagging sounds and choose to not share your pizza.

Because it is not the flavor that I (or most of the world) prefers.

Is a pistol target at 12 yards really a sniper match?

No, snipers operate at much longer distances - but I will choose to not shoot your match.

Because it is not the flavor that I (or most of the game) prefers.

With all due respect and solely my personal opinion.

If you put 14" pistol targets at 8 yards and advertise that as big and close...

You will end up with a significant number of unhappy shooters.

But I guess you would only have to listen to them once, because I'm pretty sure you would never see them again.

Everyone seems to want terms defined - I'm good with that.

IMO

No pistol target smaller than 16" should be called BIG

And no pistol target further out than 5 yards should be called CLOSE.

Rifle

Same standard as pistol for plate size

Distance - if it is out past 12 yards - it aint CLOSE

That's what "I" personally like.

I like 'em in nice and CLOSE and if I have to set the steel - that's where they are going.

But...

What will I shoot (without whining)?

Pistol targets of reasonable size from 3 yards out to 8 yards (3 yards is more fun)

Clay pigeons at muzzle distance to 3 yards.

Rifle targets of reasonable size from 3 yards (yes, I have) out to 20 yards.

Clay pigeons at muzzle distance to 8 yards.

And...

When will I complain? (Start mumbling things like long range, bulls eye match or sniper shoot?)

Pistol targets of less than reasonable size (10" or less) at more than 3 yards

Pistol targets of reasonable size at more than 8 yards

Rifle targets of less than reasonable size (10" or less) at more than 8 yards.

Rifle targets of reasonable size at more than 20 yards.

Can I hit a pistol target at more than 8 yards?

Yes. I am more than capable of hitting shots at 25 - 50 yards with a cowboy pistol on a boringly regular basis.

Can I hit a rifle target at more than 20 yards?

Yes. I am more than capable of hitting shots at 100 yards (+) with our pistol caliber rifles on a boringly regular basis.

But the fun (for me) is we are in a old west gunfight - saloon distances - across the card table - bad guys breaking into my hotel room.

I love the adrenalin rush that comes with the buzzer and running to position. Heel sliding thru the dirt (and wondering if all this beef is going to stop).

Pushing down the door and confronting the crooked Sheriff.

Stabbing the bad guy and stealing his pistol to shoot it out with his partners.

Playing make believe and then stopping to acquire a solid sight picture, properly breathe and obtain good body position takes me out of my fantasy.

If I want to prove I know how to shoot for precision - I can do that anytime.

I can go out and make pretty multi-shot single hole or clover leaf targets.

But that seems too much like work.

If I am dressed up in silly clothes and an over sized hat - I am not there to work.

I want to laugh and giggle and sling lead downrange.

When I was a youngster pointing my index finger at the neighbor kid, yelling "Bang, you're dead" - I never once worried about properly breathing or using the rear sights on my fingers. I was having fun - I was just playing cowboy.

That's all that is important now - I want to have fun - I just want to play Cowboy.

Big & Close makes it a lot more fun.

Could you possibly find fun in shooting at a 'AR500' steel barn door at a whooping 10 yds? :)

Edit: Let us define barn door size as 20ft x 20ft.

Yeah let's just cut a sheet of steel in half and have 2 ginormous targets at 5 feet. Put all 20 pistol and rifle shots on them. Lotta variety in sweeps available there. Phooey.

And I despise pepperoni

LD,

With two targets (4ft x 4ft), you have all kinds of variety sweeps!!

Like:

1)1,4 from the left, twice

2)1-4 from the right,twice

3)2-3 from the left,twice

4)2-3 from the right,twice

5)5-5 from the left

6)5-5 from the right

7)continuous Nevada from the left

8)continuous Nevada from the right

9) Progressive sweep from left

10)Progressive sweep from the right

11) outside/outside/outside/.... for ten rounds, starting on the left, then the right.

11) with SG, engage each,,,Golden BB works. Penalty if the target is knocked down. Be sure to set targets close for the Sxs shooters.

Well, you get it,,, the sky is the limit with variety of sweeps and about all the regular sweeps that we know and love still work. Oh ya, don't end with rifle.

Wow..... I'll leave it at that. :mellow:

B&G is not the big issue. Target AND target stand design, along with placement (paralell to the firing line) IS- and has EVERYTHING to do with the lack of or limit of splatter. If the design produces/promotes splatter then change the freaking things. If those in charge don't want to do so, then don't shoot there until they are no longer in charge.

It ain't that hard... ^_^

Yeah let's just cut a sheet of steel in half and have 2 ginormous targets at 5 feet. Put all 20 pistol and rifle shots on them. Lotta variety in sweeps available there. Phooey.

And I despise pepperoni

I love posts like this...

Tell me ONE person that thinks this type of target/stage is worth advocating...just one.

If there are any new shooters reading this silliness, please disregard it as nothing but angry nonsense.

Phantom

Sure would like to know where everyone is seeing problems.

Because I am not seeing it at any of the clubs I shoot.

+1

Archived