SASS Wire Forum

LARGE, CLOSE TARGETS?

Bart Solo

Around here several of the clubs like small, far targets. They speak with derision about clubs that have large or close targets, let alone LARGE, CLOSE targets. Lately I have attended a regional and a couple of state matches featuring LARGE, CLOSE targets. I have come to really, really like that style. Shooting a stage in the low 20s or watching some guy or gal shoot a stage in 13 seconds is a rush. I am looking forward to shooting more matches like that next year, but I don't want to go back to small, far targets. Am I alone? Is it a sign of age that I find shooting at small, far targets to be closer to work than to fun? It is the same game, the same people win no matter where you put the targets, but I find LARGE AND CLOSE to be more fun. Maybe I need to attend a re-education camp or something.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Around here several of the clubs like small, far targets. They speak with derision about clubs that have large or close targets,

Alright :unsure: , if yer gonna use those big words some of us hillbillys can't help you till you tell us what they mean :wacko: Good Luck :)

I'm slow but a reasonably good shot. I'd rather have smaller targets further away as it helps me compete against the group in the fast lane. I see some targets in videos that look as big as a card table.

The group in the fast lane will still be the shooters on top. Those in the middle and back of the pack will become frustrated with a bunch of misses and stop coming. Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

No you are not alone.

Take a look at the clubs that draw more shooters. 99.9% of the time.

It is the clubs with L&C targets.

Look at the big matches that sell out. Again. Same thing.

Now don't get me wrong.

I am glad there are a few clubs out there that offer the smaller farther targets for those that like it.

They need a place to go shoot also.

They have to remember that if they stay a small club. There might be a reason for that. :o

But then some like having just a small club with just them and a few buddy's

shooting.

To me. That just seems like a few getting together to plink.

Boring for me.

after 25 yrs shooting bullseye, far targets are not a problem. But at 60+ yrs ago it makes my blood boil fighting it out with the youngsters on close and fast.. think it helps postpone aging. GW

I'm slow but a reasonably good shot. I'd rather have smaller targets further away as it helps me compete against the group in the fast lane. I see some targets in videos that look as big as a card table.

Not around here.

Those fast shooters.

Will normally beat you by MORE on those type than they will the B&C targets.

I know a lot of folks think like you do on that. But they are wrong. Small and far will slow down the fast shooter

just a little.

They will slow down the rest of the shooters a LOT. So they end up getting beat by more than they would have.

And that is a fact.

What I have always seen is that the GAP between the top shooters and everyone else always WIDENS when the difficulty level goes up. True top shooters are well practiced and have no difficulty hitting small targets. Everything a bullseye shooter does, I do.....I just compress the amount of time in which to do it and I accept less than perfect results.

Shooting big and close is a skill set set just like shooting small and far is a skill set. Too me the SPEED and ACTION are more fun but I do like a mix.....too much of any one thing is never good......

You're mileage may vary

Stan

We have a local club who does the far and small. They take pride in the fact that the seldom have a clean match shooter. The other clubs do large and close but throw in some sort of challenge occasionally. They have grown in numbers. The other has shrunk.

Ike

I like targets smaller and further out because to me that's what shooting should be about.

If I can spit on the target, it's too close.

But I am defiantly in the minority.

While all my friends head to Bordertown, I stay home.

If it goes bang, I'll shoot it

If it goes "ding" or falls down I'll shoot at it.

Personal preference is small and far (well, small and far by CAS standards) but my background isn't in speed shooting or "practical" pistol shooting, it's in rifle silhouette (muzzle loader rifle silhouette and black powder cartridge rifle silhouette). Shooting a 24" tall x 36" wide target at 500 meters isn't too small or too far.

However, I'm sure not going to say a single thing negative to a pardner or club who likes em close and big.

shooting is about more than hitting the targets, it's about the people you're with while shooting at the targets.

Guitar Slinger

.................... Maybe I need to attend a re-education camp or something.

Nah, the issue is going to be completely clarified in this thread.

again

again

You are probably right, but it just goes to show how few topics we really have to talk about. ;)

Hmmm...love folks that say something to the affect:

"I like smaller farther...cuz I do better...but I'm only in it for the fun."

Me...I like a little bigger and a little closer. But most importantly, I want the most folks to have the most fun that they can have.

I've never seen or heard of ANYONE leaving a big/close match in tears and swearing they'll never shoot again...I have heard of this happening at a small/far match.

Anyone can enjoy the challenge of a bigger/closer set-up. Adding a bit of speed isn't reserved for the young and fit ya know.

Phantom

again

:lol::lol::D

Hmmm...love folks that say something to the affect:

"I like smaller farther...cuz I do better...but I'm only in it for the fun."

Me...I like a little bigger and a little closer. But most importantly, I want the most folks to have the most fun that they can have.

I've never seen or heard of ANYONE leaving a big/close match in tears and swearing they'll never shoot again...I have heard of this happening at a small/far match.

Anyone can enjoy the challenge of a bigger/closer set-up. Adding a bit of speed isn't reserved for the young and fit ya know.

Phantom

Fix your avatar.... :angry: OY!

We got a re-test of this theory as the new sport of Wild Bunch got going. "Wild Bunch is not CAS with a 1911". Well, when a top shooter like ...well...doesn't matter... leaves the range on the 2nd day in tears over 48 misses and still finishes 2nd then something is wrong. I'm glad to say that Wild Bunch has come back to earth as well.

We're not US Naval Special Warfare and this isn't a largest member measuring contest. We actually ALL OF US do this for FUN! (yes, even Phantom). MD's that let their shooters hit targets and shoot simple stages that are neither a memory nor a math contest nor a foot race nor a game of "gotcha" have sold out matches.

The others complain about how bad the economy is.

Seems like the larger closer targets allow shooters to play cowboy more - which, let face it, is what we're here to do! Yeehaw! Those big close targets lets everyone feel like a gunfighter defending the stagecoach, fightin' off the bad guys, freein' the good guys - close and fast is FUN FUN FUN! That rush is hard to replicate with small/far targets and there are plenty of disciplines of shooting that allow you to do that kind of shooting.

the SASS guidelines for target distances and sizes are there to maximize the fun and keep the competition going.

Seems like the larger closer targets allow shooters to play cowboy more - which, let face it, is what we're here to do! Yeehaw! Those big close targets lets everyone feel like a gunfighter defending the stagecoach, fightin' off the bad guys, freein' the good guys - close and fast is FUN FUN FUN! That rush is hard to replicate with small/far targets and there are plenty of disciplines of shooting that allow you to do that kind of shooting.

the SASS guidelines for target distances and sizes are there to maximize the fun and keep the competition going.

Actually...I think you have it wrong...at least from a historical perspective.

EoT...for example, has them closer then the "Suggested distances".

Phantom

At the Defend Old Fort Parker match they offeed "Sharpshooter" which had cowboys shooting the rifle targets with pistols, and then a further out (30-40 yds or so) set of targets with rifle. Shotgun was the same. I enjoyed it, and will shoot it again when offered. I heard lots of people say they were going to try it next year as well. I think its a great idea, lets folks choose how they want to play. Us older and/or slower folks may not be able to run and gun, but we can amble and aim!

I enjoy shooting a little longer range. I really enjoy shooting Cody Dixon with my 45-70 Marlin.

Actually...I think you have it wrong...at least from a historical perspective.

EoT...for example, has them closer then the "Suggested distances".

Phantom

So, here are the recommendations from SASS

Pistol targets

Minimum distance is 7 yards;

maximum distance is 10 yards.

Minimum pistol target size is 16” x 16”.

Shotgun targets

Minimum distance is 8 yards

maximum distance is 16 yards.

Minimum shotgun target size for 8 yards is 8” x 8” (MGM size poppers allowable)

Minimum shotgun target size for over 8 yards is 16” x 16” average.

Rifle targets

Minimum distance is 13 yards; maximum distance is 50 yards.

Minimum rifle target size is 16” x 16”.

Are you saying the targets are closer than these minimums?

Nah, I'm tired of poking the deceased equine with the cattle prod. Don't feel like hooking up the car battery and jumper cables to it either. I think I'll replace the belts on my snowblower instead, much more useful endeavor.

Nah, I'm tired of poking the deceased equine with the cattle prod. Don't feel like hooking up the car battery and jumper cables to it either. I think I'll replace the belts on my snowblower instead, much more useful endeavor.

Yea, but I got plenty of tatters, carrots and onions :unsure: ...........anyone for Dead Horse stew?? :huh:

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

I'm fortunate that I have both types locally. The long distance matches are not SASS, but are cowboy and are a lot if fun with 10 second misses. I have yet to see someone shoot a clean match, but I'm still new. I do see a big difference in ability though. Some people are correct in that the gap widens between the top and the bottom shooters, but the top shooters are rarely the same people for both styles. It's also fun seeing people actually miss rifle targets. Another aspect of the longer rifle target matches is that sometimes they have knockdown rifle targets that don't go down with the .38 rounds.

We're each going to play this game in our own fashion and with our own goals in mind. It takes practice & dedication to be a fast shooter; it takes the same to be a precision shooter. It takes REALLY intense practice and dedication to be a fast, precise shooter. The guys & gals in the top tier of their categories in this sport demonstrate that match after match, regardless of the size or distance targets are.

What Anvil Al said.

I like nothing better than being the 1st shooter on a stage with freshly painted targets... then try to have all my shots placed on top of each other. When that happens, you'd be surprised how many times I get called for a miss!

Seems to me, if the SASS world were only allowed to bring a topic up ONCE - and thereafter it be called a dead horse and not allowed - This place would be a ghost town.

Not every topic is a dead horse to every member on the forum!

So, here are the recommendations from SASS

Are you saying the targets are closer than these minimums?

Of course they are.

They are Suggestions...nothing more. They had to put a number down...but they are not requirements.

Phantom

I don't mind the targets at REASONABLE distances. The targets are the same for everyone.

What I don't like and will not shoot if I know they are there are targets with cutouts or even knockouts so a bullet can pass through an opening in the target. That turns the shooting match into luck and sometimes give advantages to the shooter that know ahead of time that you can't double tap in the same spot because of a knockout.

I am not fond of odd shaped targets either as it causes misses depending on which direction your gun is moving if you break the shot as soon as your sights cross the target. (I really hate those SASS cowboy targets. I shoot between the legs all the time.)

And yes, it irritates me to waste lead by missing.

Large and close is what most people will smile about, but make sure your targets are in good shape and you set them so you don't get splatter off the ground or target stand. People don't like being hit by lead splatter often.

HD, I can agree on that, but at the same time was explaining, at least to myself, why I wasn't going to participate this time.

Besides, if us crusty old farts are kept busy poking fun at dead horses, the rest of you all can carry on about the subject without us saying the same things we've said that last dozen times this year.

Of course they are.

They are Suggestions...nothing more. They had to put a number down...but they are not requirements.

Phantom

I've never been to EOT. What a hoot that would be! For some reason I was under the impression that they'd be farther not closer. Sorry if that came out wrong. I wasn't challenging you - I honestly didn't know. Pretty dang cool!

HD, I can agree on that, but at the same time was explaining, at least to myself, why I wasn't going to participate this time.

Besides, if us crusty old farts are kept busy poking fun at dead horses, the rest of you all can carry on about the subject without us saying the same things we've said that last dozen times this year.

Sometimes you old farts are more fun that the original topic anway! flail on!

I've never been to EOT. What a hoot that would be! For some reason I was under the impression that they'd be farther not closer. Sorry if that came out wrong. I wasn't challenging you - I honestly didn't know. Pretty dang cool!

Their focus is on making their customers happy...just like everyone's match should be focused on. Farther = less happy for the majority.

That's this game...it ain't Bullseye or any other distance/accuracy shooting discipline...it's CAS.

Phantom

At the Defend Old Fort Parker match they offeed "Sharpshooter" which had cowboys shooting the rifle targets with pistols, and then a further out (30-40 yds or so) set of targets with rifle. Shotgun was the same. I enjoyed it, and will shoot it again when offered. I heard lots of people say they were going to try it next year as well. I think its a great idea, lets folks choose how they want to play. Us older and/or slower folks may not be able to run and gun, but we can amble and aim!

I enjoy shooting a little longer range. I really enjoy shooting Cody Dixon with my 45-70 Marlin.

I like the "sharpshooter" idea. Might just do it at the next monthly I write.

Archived