SASS Wire Forum

12+ Shotgun stage with Black Powder question

J.S. Sooner, SASS #73526

A local match next Sunday, they have, an all shotgun stage, 12+ rounds. I was thinking of running it with a 97 smokeless, but may grab my double barrel and light it up with black powder. Either way, the shotgun is going to get hot. I was thinking, it may be a good idea to wear a glove on my left hand for this stage.

Would you think that shooting 12+ rounds of Goex, would be too much for the shotgun on an all shotgun stage?

JSS

Just had a stage like that couple weeks ago at Fall Roundup in Milan..

Count Sandor shot a 10 gauge SxS with black powder for the 12 targets..

He said the barrel got real hot..

Rance ;)

Thinkin'... :wacko: just don't miss so ya don't have any make ups .. :)

That many rounds can purtner melt the solder in some shot guns, bring two and alternate

That is one of my concerns.

After six my SKB is smoking, I could'nt imagine 12.

I have shot 6 BP on a stage already and switched to smokeless to take out 1 or 2 stubborn knockdown targets because the barrels were getting hot.

Just had a stage like that couple weeks ago at Fall Roundup in Milan..

Count Sandor shot a 10 gauge SxS with black powder for the 12 targets..

He said the barrel got real hot..

Rance ;)

Thinkin'... :wacko: just don't miss so ya don't have any make ups .. :)

That must have been cool to see! 12 contiguous shots making smoke with a 10 gauge.

Make ups cannot be ruled out when I use my double, I have been known to rush the shot and shoot over the target.

I think it was 2012? At the Oregon BP championship. They had an all shotgun stage that had about 18 knockdowns. Could have been more? Most shooters wore 2 belts. Any way it can be done with no problems beside the blistering (literally) hot barrels🔥

Regards,

Ringer

At the previously mentioned Fall Roundup stage I always wear a glove on my left hand. Our 10th bay faces a golf course. Even though it would take a really hot load to get a bullet there, it's SG only. So when we want 10 stages, we have an all SG one. Lots of fun with BP, but barrels do get warm :D

CR

I use a leather hand shield when I come across anything more than 6+ shotgun. It is thick and stiff so it holds its shape off the gun. It slides on but I have to really work it to get it tight enough for rough handling without coming loose. Thin lacing on top so you can see the sights.

Cowboy Rick has a good idea. Find a one armed man who has a glove too many and buy it from him.

IMG_2703.jpg

IMG_2704.jpg

Chancy

Get ahold of Klickatat Bob. He makes a nice leather sleeve for double barrel shotguns for just such an occasion.

First time I shot an 8 shotgun stage with my double barrel I learned why 😵

I shoot 12 rounds of Black Powder all the time -

but then I tend to miss alot.

and yes it gets hot -

Coffee

A club I shoot at has a 10 rnd stage occasionally. I shoot about 40 gr of Diamondback thru a Baikal with a splinter fore end. I usually wear a glove but have also shot without it. Shotgun is holding up well & as long as I don't grab the barrel, my hand is too.

Do like I saw in a movie once I'm not sure who the two sharpshooters were but one was using a old smoke pole for the layman that a front stuffer muzzle loader and when the barrel started to get warm he would just dunk it in a tall barrel of water. Be glad it isn't a 20 round rifle and you're using a a Henry with no fore arms.

We had a 10 round shotgun stage at our 2014 Annual. No problem and folks had a ball.

I had the top rib pop off my Stoeger 12 ga. I think the barrels heated up more than the rib and the heat expansion popped the solder that held on the top rib. I do not think that many rounds of black

in a double shotgun is a good idea. I didn't say you couldn't do it I just think it is a bad idea. Barrels getting so hot they can burn your hand just don't sound like fun to me. If I was told my next shoot

was going to have 12 shotgun stage I would go somewhere else. But that is just me.

So much misinformation, so few facts. I shoot nothing but black powder in cas. We often have a stage around here with 12 shotgun rounds. Did one just a couple of weeks ago. I shoot BP in my Henry too. No, the solder has never melted on my old Stevens sxs. Yes, the guns get hot, particularly in mid summer. I wear a thin leather glove on my left hand when things get hot. Very simple. Next question?

The great thing about shooting BP is that the guns get so hot that folks leave them alone and let me pick them up and bring them to the unloading table.

Like Driftwood said, we just shot 12 at the NH State shoot and I shot 18 the day before in a side match. My loads aren't powder puff in either my 1887 or my Henry so the barrels do get hot though nothin's ever melted off ;)

I've apparently got a high pain threshold as I never use a glove.

So much misinformation, so few facts. I shoot nothing but black powder in cas. We often have a stage around here with 12 shotgun rounds. Did one just a couple of weeks ago. I shoot BP in my Henry too. No, the solder has never melted on my old Stevens sxs. Yes, the guns get hot, particularly in mid summer. I wear a thin leather glove on my left hand when things get hot. Very simple. Next question?

'nuff said

The Shortgrass Rangers have an all shotgun match every year. 6 stages, 14 rounds per stage. We've never had a shotgun fail during the match. No doubles melted down, no '97 fell apart. Next version is next Saturday if you want to have the experience.

Spot on. As I pointed out, solder melts at 650 degrees. I don't think anyone would still be handling a gun that hot when the wood would already be on fire...

We had a stage at a blackpowder shoot a few years ago where everything was a knockdown and a must fall. My wife shoots 32H&R with 115gr 32-20 bullets and a full case of powder, but was only getting about 1/3 of them down. Missed a couple of rifle also. Well between the six shotgun, the 4 rifle makeups, and the 7 makeups, she put 24 rounds through the Stoeger SXS. That puppy was Smokin! She laid it down and the carpet started to smolder. Gun was fine but I wouldn't want to do that on a regular basis!

Dogmeat

NO big deal, as DJ correctly points out.

We have had an 18 shot SG stage (BP) for several years - not a problem for beavertail forearms, but those of us with splinters need a glove or a leather forend sheath, as depiicted above.

What a Hoot these stages are!!! SG is my favorite!

Heading to the match tomorrow, hope to see someone smoke up the shotgun stage. From the responses posted to this thread, shooting 12 targets with black powder should not present a problem, except for ones fingers, a glove or leather slide would work to supply needed protection. I was going to use my Stoeger, the beaver forearm covers the barrels well, but fingers would welcome some additional protection. Thank you for your input.

I decided to shoot with/on the Wild Bunch posse. I only get a few chanced to shoot Wild Bunch and use the 1911 a couple times a year. This club is running a combined match. Running Wild Bunch shooters on their own posse is how I think it will be done. Not wanting to clean up my 97 after shooting black powder, tomorrow I will go smokeless.

Someone will light the stage up and fill the air with smoke. Ill be watching for it.

Howdy Again

The splinter forend on my old Stevens SXS is very small, if I didn't wear a glove my fingertips would certainly get burned.

shotgunstance.jpg

Same stage, shooting my Henry.

riflestance.jpg

J.S. , Let us know how you made out shooting 12 rds. I shot 6 yesterday and my barrels got hot, but then I shoot real stout loads. Keep the smoke AND flames going!

I shot on the Wild Bunch posse today, didn't shoot black powder with the 97, but did see smoke coming over the berm while on the adjacent range. I was picking brass at the time and could not take a look at the black powder shooter, it sounded cool though.

The shotgun stage gave me some problems, we had 2 knockdowns that launched popper birds. Well, I had lighter shells loaded with 1 oz. loads and the right knockdown would not fall, took 5-6 shots to launch the bird. I planned on shooting both knockdowns to launch both birds so I could try for the double popper. I did talk another shooter into trying it too! He had STS Nitro Gold shells that just flattened the knockdowns, he did get both birds up in the air at the same time, broke both without hesitation. Turned out to be his best stage of the day, he was happy as could be.

I’ll find another, all shotgun stage someday, hope I have the double along and enough black powder shells to try it.

I shoot the True Grit annual match put on by the Umpqua Regulators in Roseburg Oregon every year.

Each stage is at least 10+ shotgun with (2)-rifles and (4)-pistols - 50 rnd count minimum per stage!!!!

They get warm!

I just shoot fast so I'm done before the barrels get hot on the outside! ;)

Archived