SASS Wire Forum

Lubricant with TEFLON: any good?

Widder, SASS #59054

Everytime I visit the local hardware store, part of their inventory of lubricants is some lube with TEFLON.

Is this type lube any good for our applications on our guns?

Is it sticky?

Does it gum up?

etc.....

..........Widder

Teflon would not be the only consideration as the lube may just not be suitable for firearms.

Here is what I use and have used for over 30 years.

My go to lube is Breakfree, or CLP for the military folks.

If for some reason I need a oil type lube I use a 60% ATF and 40% STP mix.

My go to grease is Mobile 28 or Lubriplate FGL-00 food service grade.

I used it years ago, wasn't impressed....

Widder, Teflon in and of itself isn't sticky and doesn't gum up. However, the oil/lube it's mixed in as a carrier can certainly do so. As Chili Pepper Kid said, RemOil has Teflon, and I've been using it for years with good results. Can't really say how much the Teflon actually adds to the mix, though.

Laz

I've uses Tri-Flow for about 25 years and it's as good as it gets for both smokeless and BP.

+1

Everytime I visit the local hardware store, part of their inventory of lubricants is some lube with TEFLON.

Is it sticky?

Does it gum up?

etc.....

..........Widder

Heavens YES Widder!! I can't speak of them hardware store lubes, some can be gummy but RemOil has teflon. I use it on guns, tools cameras, leather, wood, and something else, I usually CLEAN with it. It's pretty effective on carbon fouling.

Is it sticky?

Does it gum up?

etc.....

..........Widder

I've used CLP on all of my guns (except black powder guns!) since the Marine Corps replaced LSA (aka whale sperm) with CLP in the early 80's. It has Teflon and it does a wonderful job. It's worth noting that it must be used sparingly in desert climes as it will attract dust and sand and gum up pretty quickly, but that's true of any liquid lube.

For high dust areas Dry Slide works well. Basically Graphite in a carrier that evaporates and leaves the graphite behind.

A little messy but it works very well.

Food grade lubriplate is the best as it resists being washed away by water. For grease you can't beat lubriplate either.

Military has been using lubriplate for years.

JMHO YMMV

Widder....IIRC peanut butter is a preferred lubricant...especially if Purdy Boy's guns needs some slicking up ;)

I've started using Mobile 1 grease on the arbors of my c&b guns. Works well so far.

For high dust areas Dry Slide works well. Basically Graphite in a carrier that evaporates and leaves the graphite behind.

A little messy but it works very well.

Food grade lubriplate is the best as it resists being washed away by water. For grease you can't beat lubriplate either.

Military has been using lubriplate for years.

JMHO YMMV

True dat. Lubriplate was the official lubricant of the M1 Garand.

I've uses Tri-Flow for about 25 years and it's as good as it gets for both smokeless and BP.

I've also used Tri-Flow for at least 15 years with no problems.

I've also tried a spray dry graphite two weeks ago with a revolver that seems to need a little extra lubricant. That almost locked it up at the last shoot. I'll be going back to Tri-Flow.

Edit,

Pro One XPL-101 works really well also.

I haven't put it in any CAS guns just yet, as I'm out at the house. But this stuff is where it's at for mil-spec guns. It's still lube when it's dirty, and I've seen it get reeeaaally dirty. I kinda want to try it on a BP gun, but I haven't gone to the dark side just yet. One of my favorite things about this stuff on modern guns though, is that cleaning a properly lubricated gun is just about as easy as whipping the grease off. Most of the carbon stays in the grease on AR's and belt fed guns.

http://mil-comm.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=46&Itemid=

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/573734/mil-comm-tw25b-gun-grease-1-1-2-oz-tube

Turn on heat, toss in egg. What's missing?

You gotta crack the shell and pour the stuff out of the shell and into the pan. Throw the shell away

Well,

I went back to the local hardware store and read the info on the bottle.

in BOLD print it read: "Highly Flammable". and something about being aware of white smoke.

anyhow, I decided NOT to get it.

But I've made note of all the good info above, which I think will help alot of the pards who might have read this thread.

Thanks everyone.

..........Widder

For the past ten years I've been sold on Amsoil MP for cleaning, lubricating, and protecting my firearms. It bonds with the metal and lifts all foreign material away. I spray my guns down with it before inserting them in to their sack ups This starts the cleaning process. Then when I get around to cleaning them I spray them again and wipe the exterior down with a rag, spray a patch run it through a couple times then a dry patch til clean, using a brush if nessecary. Then spray them down again before putting them back in their sack ups.

One time I forgot to clean my bp gun for a month. I was worried but once I got everything soft and cleaned the guns as above there was no damage at all. That sold me on the MP. I was originally informed about it by a past world champion bp shooter who I met at my first large match and became friends with. I first got my supply from Ol Dead Eye then found a local distributor. Now I buy it buy the case and sell a can here and there to those looking for it.

Ps. My bp guns are cleaner when I pull them out of the sack ups than they were when I put them in. It does have the tendency of washing away other lubes when you spray the gun down.

Ive used Tri Flow for so many years I did not know there was anything else to use. I know at It must be 35 + years.

Howdy,

CLP has PTFE which is the generic name for.....you guessed Teflon.

Reed da label on da bottle.

Also on da bottle is CLP has a two hour cure time, takes a while to let soak into dirt etc.

And shake well as it tends to settle out....duh

Best

CR

Archived