SASS Wire Forum

Gonna have to start shooting B Western FC Blackpowder

Key Hay

Down to my last lb of titegroup and Clays. Only thing I've seen on the shelves is blackpowder or substitutes. SASS may have to make FC blackpowder categories for those like B Western if powder don't start showin up.

Just shoot Frontier Cartridge and dress any way you want.

Too invested in B Western garb to switch now.

So shoot B western with BP, no rule against it.

Just shoot Frontier Cartridge and dress any way you want.

Ah, just one of the many beautiful things about black powder is one may shoot it in any category! The couple of years I shot Classic I only used BP.

RR

Good advice!!!

we've started shooting frontier cartridge duelist (my wife and I) with hodgdon triple seven. You can find it everywhere, and talk about the guns looking like their new again. Two wet patches and nothing left in the barrels, not even lead...!

Almost forgot how much fun it was to make smoke. We shot black powder years ago and had a lot of fun with that. Only problem is I think the 777 makes more smoke :huh:

we've started shooting frontier cartridge duelist (my wife and I) with hodgdon triple seven. You can find it everywhere, and talk about the guns looking like their new again. Two wet patches and nothing left in the barrels, not even lead...!

Almost forgot how much fun it was to make smoke. We shot black powder years ago and had a lot of fun with that. Only problem is I think the 777 makes more smoke :huh:

I shoot 44 Specials and Magnums. Should I get FF or FFF?

Fillmore

SUBSITUTES!!!!.... Get a rope!...I've had to do it...but I hated it....and would deny it under oath....Holy Black is the only true powder... band together and make a 25 pound order and split it up.....just don't advertise it.... if you thinks subs clean easy...the real thing is much easier...water is God's universal solvent

Fillmore

I used both, FFF worked better in my 44-40.

SUBSITUTES!!!!.... Get a rope!...I've had to do it...but I hated it....and would deny it under oath....Holy Black is the only true powder... band together and make a 25 pound order and split it up.....just don't advertise it.... if you thinks subs clean easy...the real thing is much easier...water is God's universal solvent

Ol' Dash, that's my main man !!! Real Black all the way pard!!! You tell 'em and I got plenty of rope! :P

Rye

I had an unopen 8 pound keg of Unique and some other besides when we started shooting again. Then late last fall I fell upon an 8 pound keg of Titegroup. So I'm fixed for awhile. And I hope it'll bridge us over until this shortage ends. But we're lucky that Grafs is just up the road and they have about every brand and type of BP available - even their own brand.

Fillmore

Hodgdon only recommends FF so that's what I load in my .44s. That granulation meters so well I am not tempted to use FFF. I once accidentally loaded FFF into 357 mag cases. They had noticeably more recoil than those loaded with FF.

Down to my last lb of titegroup and Clays. Only thing I've seen on the shelves is blackpowder or substitutes. SASS may have to make FC blackpowder categories for those like B Western if powder don't start showin up.

C'mon in - the water's just fine! :)

Hodgdon only recommends FF so that's what I load in my .44s. That granulation meters so well I am not tempted to use FFF. I once accidentally loaded FFF into 357 mag cases. They had noticeably more recoil than those loaded with FF.

What about my 1858s?

Fillmore

Key Hay...if'n ya gonna shoot substitutes and you choose Hodgdon Triple Seven FFg I got recipes for .38's and 12g shot shells if ya need them.

Just wonderin'....in the B Western Black Powder category does the face mask have to have sequins on it.....or is that just a requirement in the Zorro category? :D :D :D

Fillmore

With 777 you want FF for cartridges. FFF is OK for C&B.

Same situation locally. Everyone has BP subs on the shelves. I've turned wuss the past several months and have been shooting smokeless since cleaning guns takes more energy than I have after a match. With the powder situation I'm about ready to pull the BP out of the closet and return full time to the darkside.

I've been using FFG (triple seven) in my cartridges and 12 gauge s/g loads, but the 1858 c&b revolvers seem to like the FFFG a lot better.

+1 BP is the way to go! Flames and smoke!

I did shoot the 2013 Oregon Blackpowder State match in B Western category (and was not the only one, had some stiff competition). Although SASS doesn't recognize it there are a lot of state matches where it's welcomed.

I used APP (Thanks to Cascades Annie) for the match.

+1 BP is the way to go! Flames and smoke!

+2 Subs are OK (I'll never put anyone down for it 'cause we're all here to have fun), but there's nothing as satisfying as dirty, filthy, flaming, spark-spitting, real black powder! :P

Just got back from Sportsman's Warehouse. Got 1K Federal Small Pistol primers and found Trailboss on the shelf!!! Got 2 canisters. Maybe I'll find someone who wants to trade for Clays or Titegroup.

Fillmore

Either will work fine with BP - sounds like FFg is the way to go with 777

CR

Talon, is that what PWB is shooting at EOT...? ducky

Archived