SASS Wire Forum

How do ya talk? Where you live

Rye Miles #13621

Mine is generally correct. Arkansas/Missouri with some leanings toward the Tenn,Ky patterns.

Mine is generally correct. Arkansas/Missouri with some leanings toward the Tenn,Ky patterns.

That's why you're always welcome over here!! ;):lol:

That was fun, mine said the the south was the most similar, it also named Jackson Miss. Augusta GA. and Winston N Carolina (?) as the 3 citys I have the most similarity with. Not bad for a native Californian

Tried it and just got sent back to the beginning.

Yup. Tried it four times and just kept getting sent in a circle back to the start.

had a problem with this question "What do you call a traffic situation in which several roads meet in a circle?" none of the answers were four letter words I can't say on here without getting in trouble..... :huh:

Having grown up in California, Virginia, Colorado, Washington, and Texas I'm sorta a linguistic mess! :wacko:

But somehow I ended up plotted in Salt Lake City, and Stockton and Santa Rosa, Ca!

Hmmm.... Never been to SLC.... :mellow:

Having grown up in California, Virginia, Colorado, Washington, and Texas I'm sorta a linguistic mess! :wacko:

But somehow I ended up plotted in Salt Lake City, and Stockton and Santa Rosa, Ca!

Linguistic?

Well, okay, if that's what you want to call it.

Had a college language professor in 1962 who bragged he could usually tell within 50-100 miles where some one was from by the way they spoke. He didn't miss very often.

He also said that within 50 years or so everyoe would meld together because they would get most of their language patterns from Walter Cronkite and other TV "voices", and that it would become ingrained to the point we would all have "TV commentator voices" and that the deep south, the "down eastern" areas, and the greater New York area would be the last places to lose their regional accents and usage.

He wasn't far off.

had a problem with this question "What do you call a traffic situation in which several roads meet in a circle?" none of the answers were four letter words I can't say on here without getting in trouble..... :huh:

Cluster**** ain't no 4 letter word....😜😜

I took this twice and got drastically different results. I am from southeastern NC with mother & father from Maryland & South Carolina respectively. Most of my answers showed a blue or white tone on the answer. The only change I made between the first and second attempt was that the 1st time I chose y'all as I would speak to my family and the 2nd time I chose you all as I would use at work or in written communication. The use of y'all got pretty close to me with Winston-Salem NC, but the 2nd time put me in the Cleveland/Akron Ohio area because I call a combination vehicle a tractor-tailor. Looks like 1 answer can make a big difference.

I am originally from southern VA but spent time as a kid in GA, Washington state, OK, MI and NC. This little exercise put me near Mobile, AL. I know people from that area that speak differently and use different words than me. Did the same group that set up Obama-don't-care do this website????

Moscow with influences of Barcelona?

I must have done thomething wrong, tovarich. :huh:;)

Santa Rosa? Weird. The choices for me were Modesto, Fresno, or Bakersfield. Been through Modesto and Bakersfield, have a brother in Fresno. I was raised in N. San Diego Co. CA. Spent three years in Chico, CA, and moved to Sonoma Co. CA in 1982. Been there pretty much since, but with a 3 year hiatus in Lake Co. CA.

My Dad was from Rock Castle Co, KY, my Mom from Carbon Co, PA, both moved to CA in 1947.

Moscow with influences of Barcelona?

I must have done thomething wrong, tovarich. :huh:;)

Eble ĝi estas havi Esperanton kiel duan lingvon por tiom longe ke paneas viajn rezultojn, Bob.

minneapolis/st paul , madison , rockford

interesting pinpointed where i lived the most of my life since college , i have been here since '82 mpls/stp , prior to that i was in quad cities , but was flying/working all over the south , grew up in iowa , so it placed me fairly well ,

Santa Rosa? Weird. The choices for me were Modesto, Fresno, or Bakersfield. Been through Modesto and Bakersfield, have a brother in Fresno. I was raised in N. San Diego Co. CA. Spent three years in Chico, CA, and moved to Sonoma Co. CA in 1982. Been there pretty much since, but with a 3 year hiatus in Lake Co. CA.

My Dad was from Rock Castle Co, KY, my Mom from Carbon Co, PA, both moved to CA in 1947.

Eble ĝi estas havi Esperanton kiel duan lingvon por tiom longe ke paneas viajn rezultojn, Bob.

Yeah, that might have done it. Damn Circle Trigon! ;)

It gave me the cities of Springfield, Wichita, & Amarillo, and I've never lived anywhere but Indiana and other than my mom being born in AZ and spending the first 6 weeks of her life there, my parents always lived in Indiana, and my grandparents too (except for the very brief time my maternal gp's lived in AZ as previously noted). In fact I think all my ancestors settled here straight from Germany, just not sure how many generations back that was. It did have the Midwest lit up in red though, and most of the other parts were at least orange except the Northeast...that was as blue as blue can be.

Dear heart, that odd braying sound in the distance is me a-laughin' ...

Glad to see I am not the only soul with a low opinion of those aggravating remnants of Victorian village-level, horse-and-buggy traffic handling!

minneapolis/st paul , madison , rockford

interesting pinpointed where i lived the most of my life since college , i have been here since '82 mpls/stp , prior to that i was in quad cities , but was flying/working all over the south , grew up in iowa , so it placed me fairly well ,

Me too. Interestingly enough, I'm a native Californian, even if I've lived in other places. I guess all the places I've lived have had an influence on my morphology.

Archived