SASS Wire Forum

How Proud are you of your main match guns?

Blastmaster

As the title hints toward. How fond are you of your main match two pistols, lever rifle and SG and what would you have to have if the devil came up with a fist full of money and wanted to purchase them?

I have two Rugers with a lot of blueing worn off from use, a 73 with numerous dings/dents and scratches that occured over the years, numerous 97's that would be considered shooters but nothing worth taking a second look at... BUT ya know? My main match guns (the ones I just described) and I have been together for many a year and have been down a lot of trails and matches together. All work great, all shoot POA, I know them, I trust them and all that good stuff. I can look at them and remember a whole lot of good times. What would I take? I really don't know and that is what prompted this post.

So what would you take? :rolleyes:

Blastmaster

Howdy Blastmaster,

Although I'd like a '73, I am pretty content with my guns. My single-shot low wall could use some slicking though. I have a hard time ejecting. Also, I wish my Pietta C&Bs had lower hammers so I could shoot duelist again.

Love my '87, '97 (both old Winchesters), Colt SAAs, and Marlin.

Regards,

Allie Mo

About $10,000 apiece MIGHT tempt me, provided I could replace them for what they cost me! Considering the gunsmith that fitted the two cylinders (.44-40 and .44 Mangle-em) to each Ruger is long gone somewhere, and the 2 Rossi's, one in each of those chamberings, are well broken in...NO SALE! ;)

Ride easy, but stay alert! Godspeed to those still in harm's way in the defense of Freedom everywhere! God Bless America! :FlagAm:

Your Pard,

http://www.engravingv.blogspot.com/ Craig Vitello did my engraving and you'll have to scroll down quite a ways (second from the last) until you see the

"KK" Rugers. He is amazing and so is his lovely bride Mean Marie. So to the question. Would I sell them? yes, I would for about $4,000@. They are original 45LC Ruger V's with an Olgelsvy action job.

KK

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Heck, no. And I have similar back ups for them too.

(2) 5.5" K-Bisley Vags in .44,

Browning B-92 in .44,

Stevens M311D in 12 ga.

I got them all pretty cheap too. One KBV was a gift from Aunt Mabelle too.

Same with Calamity JoAnne's shooters. She likes them a lot.

Mustang Gregg

Well,I shoot 3 open tops and a 75 Remington depending on the mood I'm in the day I go out.None have had extensive work done on them.So if someone came up and offered me retail or above I'd sell em.I'm a dealer so I'd pocket the bucks and reorder new ones at cost.Same for my 73's.

In my case, I bought most of my main match guns between 25 and 12 years ago at wholesale. Back when I was working a some nice gun stores, there real were deals to be had. I have never paid more than $700 for a Colt SAA (all but one under $600) including 1st gens, and I bought all my original Winchester 92s and 73s as well my original Spencer for $500 or less. I would be insane to sell them for what I paid for them.

There are a few Italian guns that are not so precious, but I still got them wholesale and would have a hard time replacing them for what I have in them. I have bought some guns since I left the business, but I pay attention to the price and generally get them at the best deal I can find.

So, no, I wouldn't sell my guns for what I paid for them. It wouldn't pay off. Besides, I like them, otherwise I wouldn't own them.

My "normal" main match guns are a set of consecutively numbered, 3rd gen Colt SAA's, in .38 Special, tuned initially by Goatneck Clem with a some extra tweaking and one-piece ivory grips by Alan Harton.

My rifle is a '73 Uberti saddle ring carbine tricked out by Cody Conagher. It has been totally reliable for many years.

The most recent addition is an SKB 100, with a complete Dirt Merchant job. Although a "field grade" model, it was in like-new condition when I bought it off Gunbroker.com.

Bottom line is that it took a while to assemble this group and I don't think I'd be interested in selling any of it off for any price. They are quality pieces that have a track record of reliability.

If it ain't broke...

Regards, TJH

As the title hints toward. How fond are you of your main match two pistols, lever rifle and SG and what would you have to have if the devil came up with a fist full of money and wanted to purchase them?

I have two Rugers with a lot of blueing worn off from use, a 73 with numerous dings/dents and scratches that occured over the years, numerous 97's that would be considered shooters but nothing worth taking a second look at... BUT ya know? My main match guns (the ones I just described) and I have been together for many a year and have been down a lot of trails and matches together. All work great, all shoot POA, I know them, I trust them and all that good stuff. I can look at them and remember a whole lot of good times. What would I take? I really don't know and that is what prompted this post.

Everything is for sale at some price!! For what i got in 'em, maybe. B)

Blastmaster

Blastmaster

Parts is parts.

They're tools - albeit good tools. I'd sell any and all of my cowboy guns if I recovered enough out of them to buy newer more interesting ones.

I use Rugers and Rossi's, worked over by Munden and Nate respectively, with a Colt thrown in for variety. I'd love to go up to custom Colts from

Eddie Jannis, and a Henry or two from Nate, and some day I might just buy them. If someone wanted to buy me out of what I have now and speed

that up, I'm fine with the concept.

I've bought and sold every gun at one time or another, the only two guns I have that have been since day one are the Colt 1911 I customized some

15 or 20 years back, and a Colt .22 Peacemaker I bought some 25 years ago. Those guns have some memories associated with them, but even

they will go to my sons at some point, before I pass on. I want to see the looks on their faces, long before they have to read the will.

Shadow Catcher

Well, most of em I'd want ta keep. There are some if I thought about parting with Tuweep would put up such fuss it just wouldn't be worth it. Plus there are some it would take a lot of dinero to get.

Have one set of Vaquero's we're working on. Put low profile hammers and Magic Seven springs in/on them and just not happy with them. Going to get some springs from Longhunter to replace the Sevens with. Maybe will need to put the old hammers back on them. Could not use them to shoot duelist if I did that. The Seven springs work real good in my 32's that I do shoot duelist with.

I some times wonder if I'd like shooting a 97 or 87 better than Stoegers. Don't get me wrong I like my Stoegers. It is the old what's around the bend or on the other side of the mountain thing.

Crosscut Jack

I love my .44 S.S. Rugers and usually shoot the 4.5" and 5.5", but sometimes I like to use the 7.5". I started CAS with a .357 Rossi 92 SRC which I already had and shot very well. When the firing pin broke, I decided a rifle in .44 to match the Rugers would be good. I decided on a Marlin CB Limited. I do love the way the Marlin shoots and the extra 4" of barrel length works for me. I still like to use the Rossi occasionally. After debating for a couple of years, I purchased a new Cimarron 73 24" barrel rifle in .44 Spl. I have not yet used the 73 for match use but have used it for long range pistol caliber matches. I like my Norinco 97 but have been debating on going to a double. I wouldn't let the Rugers or the Marlin go as it would be almost impossible to replace them. The Norinco maybe if I found the right double to replace it. I usually regret parting with any firearm.

I have 4 Marlins all done by the one and only Spur, they will never be for sale, at least as long as I'm still breathing. I have had a variety of Rugers. I sold my main match Old Model Vaqueros,in order to fund some remodel projects on our new home. I really regret selling those because they are the guns that I won Winter Range with and now I don't have them to give to my son. Lesson learned I guess. They went to a good home and the new owner enjoys them.

You would take Happy? Meaning you are not? :rolleyes: Or is that the name of a gal? LOL

carry on...

Blastmaster

Happy proud ;)

No for selly means I

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Be kind of tough for me as they have my alias engraved on the grip frames. Either that or I'd have to see my alias as part of the package. I mean who in their right mind would want to be called Iron Pony? I am and all but no one's ever accused me of being in my right mind. :lol:

It is hard to put a price on them

I shoot 2 USfa rodeo’s, a Uberti 1873(24”barrel) and a Pedersoli hammer SxS

And for me it isn’t the guns but the countless hours I spent on them,

I polished, sanded and changed about every part in them so I know every part in them by hart, so I wouldn’t sell them even if someone offers double the money(or more)

Bear

Rance <_<

Still thinkin' a litttle about this one..

First thought.. yep... Mine have about 7 years wear on them..

For the right money.. I'd sell and replace them..

With probably the same type guns... Maybe..

But I shoot original Vaquero's.. kinda hard to get them now..

My rifle has my name etched into the wood.. hate to part with that.. :blush: kinda

Still thinkin' <_< Might... ain't sayin' I would..

maybe for.. double the money invested.. might think of taken that...

That would be about $2370 invested for one yellowboy..

and they'd have to buy my backup that's identical to it..

except it's gots Lacey's name etched on it...

Whoops.. Lacey won't let me sell her guns...

Nevermind :blush:

...'51 Richards Mason Navy Open Top conversions have been slicked up a bit, POA is POI, and are very reliable as long as I do my part (shoot .38 Special full of Ffg Schuetzen Black Powder). And no I would not sell them

...OM Rugers have been slicked up by the Joe Brisco and they for sure aren't for sale.

...the 2 marlins ain't special, but they've been with me for too long and are very reliable, nfs.

...beat up stoger sxs's work like tops, look like junk, and nfs.

...the '97 fixed up by Joe Brisco ain't for sale either...

Mine are nothing fancy and show use, (some a LOT of use), but IF I HAD TO, I'd rather they went to a friend for "fair" money than to a stranger for more.

There was a time I woulda said "NEVER", but that was before I heard three words "You have cancer". Those words will change yer perspective instantly and forever. Guns are just steel and wood. They are NOT all that important in the grand scheme of things.

I'm fixing to GIVE away a couple of non-CAS guns soon, and may well sell some more. I hope to hang onto my bike as long as I can ride, but the medical bills might get it too. It will be whatever it is. Nobody said I gotta like it.

I have 4 Marlins all done by the one and only Spur, they will never be for sale, at least as long as I'm still breathing. I have had a variety of Rugers. I sold my main match Old Model Vaqueros,in order to fund some remodel projects on our new home. I really regret selling those because they are the guns that I won Winter Range with and now I don't have them to give to my son. Lesson learned I guess. They went to a good home and the new owner enjoys them.

Wow!! sold your winning Winter Range shooters.. :(

Perhaps you can be the Devil with a fist full of dollars (well, ya know, maybe not a big fist full) and try to buy them back.....

For the chill-tren don't ya know.

Good luck,

Blastmaster

Guns are just steel and wood. They are NOT all that important in the grand scheme of things.

You are correct, guns are just steel and wood... Just like a wedding band is nothing more than a gold alloy thingy.

Both can be objects or they can be symbols of something greater. Owners choice.

I think every thing has its price ! :unsure:

But for the most part I like my main match Guns and i will just keep them ! :wacko:

I am very proud of my guns.They are the best I can afford.I have a pair of Cimarron Nickle Ps that I worked on and put thurderstorm hammers in.A pair of AWAs that a pard on the wire let me put on layaway for back ups.A pair of 92s I traded for and Nate slicked up, a 73 that a pard on here held for me for 3 months until I had the money to pay him, and two pards I shoot with worked on it is very very slick and short stroked.A pair of Baikals done by Spur I bought used.Am I proud of them YES I am.

Archived