SASS Wire Forum

Hell on Wheels love affair with brass frames

What is it with "Hell on Wheels" and brass framed cap and ball revolvers?

Except for a couple of confederate models, all full-sized fighting revolvers of the 1860s were iron framed, but in a sneak peek at episode 107, everybody in the lynch mob was packing a brass framed revolver...Colt Navies, Colt Armies, Remingtons...all in brass.

I like the show, but couldn't they afford any historical consultants?

Apparently not. Don't know how much they spent on building the train from scratch so it would be historically accurate; but it would have been well worth it to divert a few of those dollars ($30-$40 per gun) to make the firearms a little more correct.

Of course, listening to the Armorer and prop man, spending a little extra is the least of their problems when it comes to firearms. I've seen newbies on the BP forums that know more than these guys.

Fingers (Show Me MO Smoke) McGee

Frontiersman, Pistoleer, Soot Lord and C&B Collector

I have given up on the whole thing. It has nothing to do with history and, whats worse, is not very interesting to watch. The bad gun choices are the least of their problems.

Except for a couple of confederate models, all full-sized fighting revolvers of the 1860s were iron framed, but in a sneak peek at episode 107, everybody in the lynch mob was packing a brass framed revolver...Colt Navies, Colt Armies, Remingtons...all in brass.

You mean they're not all Model P's and 92's? :huh:

I'm glad we are past the day of John Wayne using model "P"s and Winchester 1892s to fight the Civil War. :)

But, this isn't much better in terms of armament. And, unlike in John Wayne's day, the proper guns are readily available in the form of fairly inexpensive replicas.

I would not know what they use.

Found it so boring and slow moving, that I turned the channel.

Maybe I just watched a bad part. But they lost me before they got me

to watch anymore.

Did not see anything that would make me want to try it again.

I enjoy it, look forward to it each week. Westerns to watch ain't exactly falling out of the sky. At least they got the cap and ball part right. It's a lot better than watching American Idol or some Real Housewives from Hell. But to each his own...

Guest Texas Bounty Hunter

I have enjoyed watching a western on cable with out all the Profanity of Dead Wood ;)

If you want accurate history you need to watch the "history channel"This is just entertainment -nothing more ever comes out of Hollywierd <_<

I have enjoyed watching a western on cable with out all the Profanity of Dead Wood ;)

If you want accurate history you need to watch the "history channel"This is just entertainment -nothing more ever comes out of Hollywierd <_<

IMNSHO, the History Channel isn't any better.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

If you want accurate history you need to watch the "history channel"

You mean the Pyramids really were built by space aliens? :o

IMNSHO, the History Channel isn't any better.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

You got that right. Here is a tip for watching the History Channel, if the question is "COULD IT BE???" The answer is no.

Apparently not. Don't know how much they spent on building the train from scratch so it would be historically accurate; but it would have been well worth it to divert a few of those dollars ($30-$40 per gun) to make the firearms a little more correct.

Of course, listening to the Armorer and prop man, spending a little extra is the least of their problems when it comes to firearms. I've seen newbies on the BP forums that know more than these guys. I agree with you on this, that guy bother me with his knowledge of guns and loading

Fingers (Show Me MO Smoke) McGee

Frontiersman, Pistoleer, Soot Lord and C&B Collector

Brass frames look good on teevee.

BINGO we have a winner.

If the target audience for the show I would imagine that the percentage of those who would know the difference is very very small.

And as Cemetery said, brass frames look good on teevee

Hey give them a break. At least it's a western, not one of those insufferable "reality shows"! Now if we could just get around all that Political Correctness.

+

I have given up on the whole thing. It has nothing to do with history and, whats worse, is not very interesting to watch. The bad gun choices are the least of their problems.

Yup!

Sorry but it is a typical Hollywood western, has nothing to do about history, but all those westerns with John Wayne and Clint Eastwood, Gene Audrey,Roy Rogers and all those guys we grew up with were all about history and being very very accurate for the time period, right :unsure:

Sorry but it is a typical Hollywood western, has nothing to do about history, but all those westerns with John Wayne and Clint Eastwood, Gene Audrey,Roy Rogers and all those guys we grew up with were all about history and being very very accurate for the time period, right :unsure:

No they were not that historic, but they (well most of them) were good stories, with good plots, good characters and good acting. You can get away with a lot if you have that. Sorry to say, Hell on Wheels is neither authentic or good story telling. Comparing it to John Wayne or Clint Eastwood movies only makes that more obvious. Personally, I always thought Gene Autry and Roy Rodgers movies were pretty bad and didn't watch them.

I like the show, and yep, the guns are all about how they look.

When Kevin Costner was making "Wyatt Earp" he was told the buscadero holster he wanted to use was not correct. He said he didn't care because it looked good.

And that's how they do it.

After careful consideration I have decided I don't care. :P

And I think the first few episodes were very slow but it is gaining momentum now and I'm enjoying it.

And I like the wacky looking Swede. :lol:

Just my opinion as a viewer who'd rather watch even a mediocre western than Real Housewives or Fear Factor. :rolleyes:

And I think the first few episodes were very slow but it is gaining momentum now and I'm enjoying it.

Just my opinion as a viewer who'd rather watch even a mediocre western than Real Housewives or Fear Factor. :rolleyes:

Bob If they ever do a movie version of the Munster s the fellow who plays the Swede should be a shoe in for the part of Herman,In fact all they would have to do is put neck bolts and big boots on him and you have Herman Munster. Adios Sgt. Jake

I sure do not mind looking at brass C&B pistols. I shoot them most of the time instead of the ROA's which sure are not the best of style in my eyes. If all you are seeing in the show are the brass guns then you are missing at least a fair western compared to all the reality shows that are on all the channels. It is at least an effort to be period correct even if they are not steel framed revolvers of that era.There are articles everywhere where at least six or more westerns are being considered for different channels and I am looking forward to them as well. If you do not like the show that is fine but why rain on someone elses parade just to make you feel better. Just my view. DC who would rather shoot C&B brass or steel framed

Howdy:

Hmmm...History Channel?? It is not history and poor entertainment at best. It is not even as good as Peabody's Improbable History of years back. At least that program made no attempt to claim that it was accurate or probable and it was entertaining. I think Peabody's pet boy Sherman , I believe, grew up to direct the current History Channel. Perhaps he was a consultant on the gun with brass frames foe Hell on Wheels.

STL Suomi

Like you. I don't care if they are historic or not. Just want a good show.

Think that slow moving at the start was to slow to hold me.

But gald others are liking it. Might give it another try. But they are going to

have to show me something if they want folks like me to watch. Western or not. If it's

not good. I am not watching.

I enjoy it, look forward to it each week. Westerns to watch ain't exactly falling out of the sky. At least they got the cap and ball part right. It's a lot better than watching American Idol or some Real Housewives from Hell. But to each his own...

+1 B)

To me a lot of the story is just the dream so many immigrants had when they went west. And true to life, some were very sucessful, but many others existed day to day, or worse, forced into something like prostitution simply to survive...

Love the show, but like all works of fiction, sometimes it strains credibility.

For instance, how can they be deep into Cheyenne country and not have laid 40 miles of track yet?

Somebody needs a new odometer. :lol:

I'ma startin' to like "The Swede" myself. I still think it's a little slow but I'll take it for what its worth and it does leave me wanting more....I'll be tuning in or at the very least runnin the DVR! I'd say as far as I'm concerned, mission accomplished AMC! For me it's about the best thing going Sundays at 9pm CST. ;)

I didn't care for the first couple episodes, and like UB, it has now grown on me - finally hooked me with last week's episode. :)

My only concern is the soapy sub-plot with Colm Meany and the widow - what's with that? :wacko:

Harvey

Who loves C&B, especially Sam Colt's style - but it would be nice to see some more steel frames... :ph34r:

Archived