after a couple of years are still

shooting in blue jeans, work shirts,

work boots, and maybe some sort of

non-descript flop hat. Yes, they are

spoiling the ambiance (and the fantasy)

for the rest of us. Understanding

what to do with these folks are

the “hard” cases for Match Directors"

Can anyone tell me where this attire is prohibited by the rules? If Tex doesn't want folks dressed like this at shoots, he should change the rules to so state that work shirts, blue jeans and work boots are prohibited. He should also be prepared for some shooters to stop shooting. This "jaw boning" is getting old. There was a post a few weeks ago indicating that many shooters had to wear work boots because of foot issues and Tex needs to get off their case! I do not know what a non-descript flop hat is, but the rules currently only disallow one type of hat (Shady Brady) and no hat is required by the rules except in only a couple of categories. Except for work like boots, I try to stay in costume as well as possible. I will not have my shoot ruined by what others wear.

Now Tex wants match directors to enforce rules that do not exist. This is a bit confusing.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess one person's fantasy is another person's nightmare...

hard to get excited over this one...

Tex is just going to run people off.He runs his mouth because he has a place to do it.He does not show the cowboy way.I dress up because some cowboys sold me some stuff cheap and some gave stuff to me.Every one dont have the money that Tex has.I love the dress up,but if someone dont have what Tex thinks they need should we not let them shoot?They can shoot with me anytime.

If you want to read it I suggest the following:

From the Shooters Handbook under Clothing and Accouterments:

"Cowboy Action Shooting is a combination of historical reenactment and Saturday morning at the matinee. Participants may choose the style of costume they wish to wear, but all clothing must be typical of the late 19th century, a B-western movie, or Western television series.

SASS puts a great deal of emphasis on costuming because it adds so much to the uniqueness of our game and helps create a festive, informal atmosphere that supports the friendly, fraternal feeling we encourage in our competitors.

All shooters must be in costume, and we encourage invited guests and family also to be costumed. Shooters must remain in costume at all match events: dinners, award ceremonies, dances, etcetera.

All clothing and equipment MUST be worn appropriately, how it was intended and how it would have been worn in the OLD WEST or as seen on B-Western movies and television."

Bottom line is dress up like a Cowboy or Cowgirl, go shooting, and enjoy yourself.

Take care,

Barry Sloe

I have a very simple question for Tex...

Participants may choose the style of costume they wish to wear, but all clothing must be typical of the late 19th century, a B-western movie, or Western television series.

Uhm... Given that rule, what are his objections to blue jeans?

Tex "stirs-the-pot" like a big broken spoon. :rolleyes: A broken spoon moves alittle bit of soup, but doesn't do much to mix any "flavor" :rolleyes:

I dress within the SASS guidelines. Depending on weather, sometimes a little more and sometimes a little less.

If Tex don't like it.......To damn bad, I not here for his approval. <_<

I'm here to PLAY make believe cowboy for a few hours.

Respectfully,

LG

All clothing and equipment MUST be worn appropriately, how it was intended and how it would have been worn in the OLD WEST or as seen on B-Western movies and television."

Bottom line is dress up like a Cowboy or Cowgirl, go shooting, and enjoy yourself.

Take care,

Barry Sloe

I agree, the costume Tex describes ( blue jeans, work shirts, work boots, flop hat) could come from the old west, movies, B-Western movies, and television. All within the rules. If Tex wants only suspender pants then he needs to get his request on the TG agenda. :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

The way I see it, if anyone allows himself to get run off by an article in the CC, then they probably aren't very serious about shooting SASS.

The way I see it, if anyone allows himself to get run off by an article in the CC, then they probably aren't very serious about shooting SASS.

Naw, I don't think his articles are gonna run any of us off, but we are tired of his rhetoric, and IMHO it sets a bad example for possible new shooters. And most of us are very serious about shooting SASS. Instead of berating us all the time and making up rules that don't exist he could try encouragement and options. The very costume he discribes can be found in many a B-Western and Saturday matinee. There is even a feature artical in each months CC on side kicks, remember Dub, he was the one that wore blue jeans, work shirts, and a flop hat :wacko:

Maybe he's fergotten there are two costume categories he can shoot in that fit his fanatsy, Classic Cowboy and B-Western ;)

I am still trying to figure out what a Shady Brady is, or isn't.

The only objection to blue jeans I can imagine involves zippers. Is Tex going to require all of us to open our fly.

. . .

but we are tired of his rhetoric,

. . .

Jefro :ph34r:

Please describe, 'WE'.

Your opinion, (which you are certainly entitled to)

does not include, "me".

As for cost. I also am not, 'rich', like some have said about another,

" ... Every one dont have the money that Tex has ... "

But going to a, 'thrift' store, or Salvation Army, or the like,

one can find clothes very reasonable,

I wear, suits, and they can be bought for 5.00 to 20.00,

all they need is the belt loops taken off, and buttons sewn in,

and buttons sewn on top of the zipper fly.

(Not aware of any, 'button/fly' police)

Also shirts, 2.00 to 5.00, just cut off the 'collar'.

I have three, 'suits' (Jacket Pants, Vest AND shirt) and with the alterations,

none cost me over 30.00, including the alterations !

In fact, in one of them, when I got it home,

I found, 4, $5.00 bills folded up real small in one of the pockets.

Another quote:

"The way I see it, if anyone allows himself to get run off

by an article in the CC,

then they probably aren't very serious about shooting SASS."

I totally agree, but I would add:

".. or a post on the SASS Wire ..."

So, in conclusion, post your opinion,

you have EVERY RIGHT to !!!!!!

(Unless you think the way B.O. is taking this country,

is the right way)

but do not dare to say, 'WE',

when you mean: 'ME'.

Put some SAND in your boots and say: 'I' or 'ME', or even, 'the spouse and I".

Because quite simply, your, 'WE', does NOT INCLUDE, 'ME'.

Please describe, 'WE'.

Put some SAND in your boots and say: 'I' or 'ME'

Well excuuuuuues me :huh: How bout a bunch of us, or just me. ;) FWIW I too enjoy the dress part, I always wear a vest, suspenders, silk scarf, pocket watch, and a nice beaver hat, but no boots......shoes. However I don't look down on those that wear jeans, nor do I expect the MD take action upon those that do........that's what Tex is advocating. Sorry can't put no sand in my boots cause I wear shoes. ;) Good Luck :)

I am one of the us . I like the dress and I like to play cowboy.I dont like someone to tell me how to treat people that dont dress the way he or you want.

Who is, US ?

Tex uses 'us' in his article. He assumes he speaks for others whose shooting experience is adversely affected by what other cowboys are wearing. Do you find that as objectionable as Jefro's use of 'us'?

BTW, I would fit into Jefro's us, I wear civil war era shirts and boots, Frontier Classic suspender pants and a black Stetson slouch hat. I couldn't care less what the other cowboys (and cowgirls) I shoot with wear. I'm just glad to be there shooting with them.

I am one of the us . . .

Great, that is your opinion.

Glad you stand up for, your opinion.

If you will notice, I did not state a opinion on,

what the dress, should be, or should not be.

I objected to someone else stating what, "MY' Opinion was!

That poster, Assumed, my opinion about Tex's writings,

was the same has his, by stating, 'WE'.

That would not be the case.

Unless their is some sort of 'secret' rule here,

where one can not express a opinion,

unless they have had, 'x' amount of posts ???

Or, if someone has, 'x' amount of posts,

they are untitled to state, 'WE' meaning everyone ?

I am not aware of such a rule,

if their is one,

can someone please enlighten me?

Try as I might, I just cn'at think of a shoot that was spoilt by how another Pard dressed. I don't care how they dress,don't care if they shoot real Colts,bp or smokeless,sxs or pump guns..... I got to shoot and play BANG/CLANG for a few hours.. :)

Tex,step away from the bp ,Pard,it's short circuiting yer brain pan.

Tex uses 'us' in his article. He assumes he speaks for others whose shooting experience is adversely affected by what other cowboys are wearing. Do you find that as objectionable as Jefro's use of 'us'?

No, It is a different format. Completely Different.

Also if one reads the entire article,

you can see the context in which he states, HIS OPINION.

And my opinion is....Tex should worry about what he is wearing not what I'm wearing, so long as it is within the the rules. Furthermore, if you read the entire post Jefro's intent seems pretty clear, just as Tex's does. Seems to me as if your response could be fairly described as a tempest in a teapot. That's the view from my saddle.

Yex is just describing what any old ranch hand would have worn...

At the risk of incurring everyone's rath, I think Tex may have a point. How would you feel if you attend a shoot, dressed like most of us do (in the spirit of the Old West) and all the rest of the shooters are in modern jeans, modern cowboy boots, and long-sleeve shirts (plain, not cowboy), and no hats? Would you really feel that you are at a SASS shoot? Sure, an occasional shooter dressed like that does not really detract from our cowboy game, but the point that I take away is that the slippery slope is there. Not enforcing the "encouragement" (read: rule) that folks dress as described in the SHB ( and as quoted by Barry Sloe) can lead us down that slope.

I am fully supportive of the new shooter who doesn't have all the gear or clothing, and will bend over backwards to allow him/her time to "gear up". Shucks, I often loan guns, gear, and even ammo to those folks while they work on getting into the game, gear-wise. However, at some point, I expect that they will get there, meaning step up to playing cowboy like the rest of us. A shooter who has been playing with the minimums for a long time does not, IMHO, meet the requirement of the SHB, pg. 1: "The truly unique aspect of Cowboy Action Shooting™ is the requirement placed on authentic period or western screen dress. Each participant is required to adopt a shooting alias appropriate to a character or profession of the late 19th century, or a Hollywood western star, and develop a costume accordingly." Jeans, long-sleeve shirt, and modern cowboy boots are simply not prescribed therein. Or do you choose to ignore that part of the SHB? I think a lot of people now do so....

I don't want to drive off shooters who want to play our game; however, I also don't want shooters who do not want to play our game, which includes some costuming, within the parameters of the SHB.

I must admit........

sometimes I wear........

under my SASS clothes.......

MODERN BVDs!!!!!!!!!

:o

:lol:

Sorry, I'll go back to the Saloon now!

:ph34r:

Pretty sure I saw John Wayne in a pair of blue jeans, mebbe even more than once. I know I saw Roy and Dale wearin' denim. I forget which EoT dvd has General Grant saying something along the lines of "Half the shooters dress up to shoot, the other half shoot so they can dress up!" Seems like there is room for all around the fire.......

At the risk of incurring everyone's rath, I think Tex may have a point. How would you feel if you attend a shoot, dressed like most of us do (in the spirit of the Old West) and all the rest of the shooters are in modern jeans, modern cowboy boots, and long-sleeve shirts (plain, not cowboy), and no hats? Would you really feel that you are at a SASS shoot?

Howdy

It does not bother me one bit. Heck, in these parts we get plenty of shooters who make no more effort than wearing a pair of jeans, a Sears work shirt, and a cheap cowboy hat. Does not bother me one bit. Does other guys not going to the same effort as me somehow cheapen my effort to dress up like a cowboy? I don't think so. Dressing up cowboy is reward enough all by itself, I don't need everybody else doing the same to make me feel better. It's kind of like anything else in life. Doing your best at something should be reward enough by itself, we don't need everybody else doing the same to validate what we are doing.

And I don't buy the line that it's OK to show up like that for your first match, but after a few months (or years) you should be making more effort at your costume. Baloney! Nothing in the rules says that a pair of jeans, a work shirt, and a 'flop hat' are not acceptable. What is plainly not acceptable is what is at the end of the Shooter's Handbook. Sneakers, T-Shirts, Ball Caps, and Shady Bradys.

What ticks me off at a match is guys who are concerned about what other shooters are shooting and what other shooters are wearing. It sure as heck does not spoil the ambiance for me, or anybody I know, if somebody shows up in 'blue jeans, work shirts, work boots, and maybe some sort of non-descript flop hat.'

If you don't know what a Shady Brady is, it is a cowboy hat that looks like the wearer had it on when he hit a pheasant while doing 80mph on a motorcycle.

Shady Brady

I agree with Doc Shapiro. This stuff is why I never read what Tex has to say anymore.

If dress is an issue. (And at times I have seen some shooters pushing the envelope) Shouldn't a person with such influence lobby to change the rules.? Or where was Tex's when the rules were written?

Though I agreed with some of Tex's points. I disagreed with the article when many of his points don't break any rules???

I think it is necessary to re-read the reply from Checotah....there are far to many shooters that shoot in our 1800s or B-western game ... but shoot in the same clothing that they wear to work in 2011.....maybe they just add a hat of some type.....but do not meet the intent of the game....I know...get the boiling oil ready for me...

Does anyone reading this thread believe that match directors should be penalizing shooters that don't meet Tex's ideas of dress even tho the shooter meets the rules as written?

No. I only bring it up if someone is shooting a category such as B Western or Classic Cowboy.

Archived