SASS Wire Forum

Reseating Bear Load Bullets

I recently bought HSM 325 gn 45 Colt +P ammo from the local Bass Pro Shop. I am shooting it out of my Henry Big Boy. It shoots just fine but due to the bullet sticking out .25" higher than a standard round of 45 colt, it does not like to feed from the tube. The only way I can shoot the ammo from the factory, is by single loading it through the ejection port. I bought it so that I can use it as a self-defense round while out camping and such.

For all the reloaders out there who have far more experience than me, what's your opinion on reseating the bullet to standard depth. I reseated one and when I shook the bullet, I couldn't hear any of the smokeless powder bouncing around like I can on the normal bullets that I haven't messed with and I am not sure how much compression is happening if there is any. Is compression something I should worry about as a problem with smokeless powder (I understand that it's not needed but will it affect the pressure curve upon being fired if it is compressed)? I am mostly trying to avoid blowing myself up. If all else fails I at least bought some expensive brass. 

• Confused 1

DO NOT DO IT!!!!  Seating the bullet deeper will raise chamber pressures to dangerous levels. Doesn't matter if the load is compressed or not.

Buy different ammo that will cycle in your gun.

Edited by Sedalia Dave
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Being +P ammo, I'd highly recommend against seating them any deeper. Bad things may happen, don't chance it, even with the one you already did. A bomb in front of your face will ruin your day and your gun.

• Like 4

Pushing the bullet further into the case will reduce the powder space and result in higher pressure. Also when attempting to push a bullet further into a case where it has already been seated and crimped often results in swelling the bullet nose to the point it may not fit in the chamber. I have seen bullets deformed in this manner actually engage the rifling when chambered. Don’t do that!

• Like 1

Your options:

- Sell them as factory ammo for a reasonable price and buy different ammo.

- Pull the bullets and reload them per established/published specs.

- Blow your gun up, cause possible injury to yourself or others because you seated a round that was already at max deeper into the case creating dangerous pressures.

I'd go with option 1 or 2.

• Like 4

Or maybe chamber a single round through the loading port, then fill the tube with regular 250 grainers.  

You'll have to remember to just cock the hammer for that first shot, though.

Edited by Abilene, SASS # 27489

Sometimes a long round that is NOT fired (by mistake, or having to clear the gun) will not eject through a port.  Jams the gun royally then.  

Use shorter ammo - do not reseat the slug on an already high-pressure load!

good luck, GJ

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Jedediah Westwood said:

the bullet sticking out .25" higher than a standard round of 45 colt

What does 'standard' mean to you, max SAAMI spec of 1.600" or the rounds you shoot normally?

If the AOL of this ammo is above 1.600" and this issue is not noted on the box then I would return it to Bass Pro and expect full refund.

If the AOL is below 1.600" I'd ask Henry why their rifle doesn't eat those rounds.

• Like 4

Per HSMs FAQ:

45 Colt ammunition OTHER than Cowboy Action ammunition is for use ONLY in the OLD STYLE LARGE FRAME Ruger Blackhawk (post 1973, not the pre 1973 3-screw) including the ORIGINAL Ruger Vaquero and Ruger Bisley version of the Blackhawk, the Thompson/Center Contender, the Magnum Research BFR, or any firearm chambered in 454 Casull or 460 S&W including the Taurus Raging Judge.

It is NOT for the NEW STYLE SMALL FRAME Ruger Blackhawk and its variants like the NEW Vaquero or the New Flat-top Blackhawks.

It is NOT suitable for the Colt Single Action Army, Colt Cowboy, Colt Anaconda or Ruger Redhawk, Taurus Judge, any Smith and Wesson revolvers including the Governor or any vintage or replica firearms.

We have no information on any rifles that can safely shoot this ammunition at this time.

https://hsmammunition.com/faqs/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I wasn't planning on using it in my revolvers, it was always intended to be used in my Henry lever action. I saw this on their website and saw a statement from henry that their frames can handle +P ammo.

On 4/18/2024 at 1:36 PM, Manchester said:

Per HSMs FAQ:

45 Colt ammunition OTHER than Cowboy Action ammunition is for use ONLY in the OLD STYLE LARGE FRAME Ruger Blackhawk (post 1973, not the pre 1973 3-screw) including the ORIGINAL Ruger Vaquero and Ruger Bisley version of the Blackhawk, the Thompson/Center Contender, the Magnum Research BFR, or any firearm chambered in 454 Casull or 460 S&W including the Taurus Raging Judge.

It is NOT for the NEW STYLE SMALL FRAME Ruger Blackhawk and its variants like the NEW Vaquero or the New Flat-top Blackhawks.

It is NOT suitable for the Colt Single Action Army, Colt Cowboy, Colt Anaconda or Ruger Redhawk, Taurus Judge, any Smith and Wesson revolvers including the Governor or any vintage or replica firearms.

We have no information on any rifles that can safely shoot this ammunition at this time.

https://hsmammunition.com/faqs/

If it were me, I would pull the bullets, fertilize the lawn with the powder and reload them with 200gr RNFP at CAS powder facto levels.

course, I have the tools and time to do this (just pulled 175 .45 Colt cartridges--took me 90 minutes including times of verbal outrage directed at myself)

IDEA:  can you hook up with one of the Rio Salado Cowboys and work a deal with him; either trade out or see if he would let you use his equipment under his instruction and guidance to 'fix' this problem?

we cowfolk are a friendly lot and often willing to go the extra mile for pards

Since there is no standard specification as to what constitutes "+P" ammo, I'd simply disregard such a claim.  Since the rifle is chambered in 44 Magnum, this is probably a better indication that +P ammo is ok.  None of which should be construed that you could reset the bullet further in the case and be safe. That is simply asking to be added to the 2024 Darwin Award (winners?)  IMO, I'd be satisfied to just singly load it until it was gone, or as suggested above, disassemble it and reload based on published data. 

On 4/17/2024 at 1:53 PM, Sedalia Dave said:

DO NOT DO IT!!!!  Seating the bullet deeper will raise chamber pressures to dangerous levels. Doesn't matter if the load is compressed or not.

Buy different ammo that will cycle in your gun.

i agree - do not do it , 

• Like 2

As others have already stated, seating the bullet deeper on factory loaded ammo is not a good idea for many reasons.  This is especially true with +P ammo since it is already flirting with maximum chamber pressures.  Simply put, don't do it!  Either find another gun to shoot them in, sell them or trade them off, or disassemble and reload them to suitable specs, which in my opinion would be more trouble than it's worth.  Be safe out there, good luck and good shooting to all.  

I use the data from the Hornady manual for the 250 grain XTP bullet in .45 Colt and avoid +P anything.  I have an older Marlin 1894 that feeds reliably with the Hornady data.  Please do not re-seat, just like everyone said, it is dangerous.  

• Like 2

This situation shows why in the 1920s it was SO important to have a committee of the major gun makers agree to follow some standards with respect to how to make ammo and firearms work safely regardless of who made each of the "parts"

I won't use ammo from a maker (like HSM) that fails to comply with SAAMI standards!   Too much possible risk. 

The bottom line to me is - if you feel the need to shoot a very capable handgun rifle - then look for something designed to be more powerful than a .45 Colt!

good luck, GJ

Edited by Garrison Joe, SASS #60708
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

The bottom line to me is - if you feel the need to shoot a very capable handgun - then look for something designed to be more powerful than a .45 Colt revolver!

good luck, GJ

I thought about saying the same thing and suggesting he swap out the Henry 45 for a Rossi in 454. 

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1045485396

• Like 1

Rule of thumb:

Don't re-seat bullets in cartridges that you did not load yourself or do not know powder VOLUME and type.  "Rattle testing" isn't diagnostic.  

Edited by Dusty Devil Dale
  • Like 1