SASS Wire Forum

Questions about .38-55

From what I read here on the wire, .38-55 seems to be a fairly popular caliber.   I'd like to ask a few questions about it.

1.  Is the .38-55 that was chambered in the Winchester 94, the same .38-55 that was chambered in the Marlin 1881?

2.  How difficult is it to get brass?

3.  Is commercial ammo available?

4.  Is it true that if all else fails, you can create .38-55 brass simply by running .30-30 through a full length sizing die?

Thank you to those in the know for the answers.

Reasons why I am asking these questions:  I am considering getting a Marlin 1881.   I wanted one in .45-70, but they seem to be hard to find/super expensive, or both.  Of the other calibers that I have seen listed for this rifle, .38-55 seems to be the one would be the easiest to tool up to reload for, and they seem to be available in this caliber for far more reasonable prices that some others.

I shoot a Marlin  model 336cb in 38-55. Brass was not too hard to find, I found some Winchester and was fortunate to acquire some new Starline brass as well. I reload my own as factory ammo is difficult to find and very expensive. It’s a great long range caliber to play with. Good for hunting as well. There is a good discussion on the Starline site you might want to check out regarding question #1.

You cannot make 30-30 into 38-55 by just using a die, you have to fire form it as dies don't make anything bigger. It usually works fine as it is just a bit shorter then the longer 38-55 brass, do it all the time in my re-barrelled Winchester 94 and my 38-55 Buffalo Classics.

• Like 1

I use a marlin 336cb in 38-55 and a 1885 in 38-55.  Their are some commercial loading for it hsm makes a cowboy load, winchester makes a jacketed soft point for hunting. They do get a bit pricey. I find brass is not to hard to find, dies and lead are as easy to. My reloads chamber better than the factory stuff. If you can find it 9.5 grains trail boss under a 249 grain head seem to hit well and don't kick.

It is best to slug the barrel for whatever rifle you use for best accuracy

brass and bullets are out there and available mostly...  don', be afraid to get into it

making 38- 55 from 30- 30 seems like a stretch... 

• Like 1

Many years ago I bougth a brand new Winchester Legiondary Frontiersman commemorative at an auction. Loaded up some cartridges using .375 jacketed bullets. That thing shot all over the place with keyholing. I called Winchester to ask them about the bore size and they wouldn't tell me anything having to do with that. I slugged it and found it was .377". Bought some .379" cast bullets with gas checks and never looked back. It became quite accurate. Won a few big bore matches with it. Starline has brass now and then. It's up for backorder right now which means you have a good chance of getting some rather quickly.

SAAMI specs for 38-55 are shown on their web site. https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/11/ANSI-SAAMI-Z299.4-CFR-Approved-2015-12-14-Posting-Copy.pdf   Page 137.

There are SAAMI specs for 38-55, but unfortunately every manufacturer doesn't follow them. Some make barrels for .377 bullets and some for ..379. Some cut chambers for .377 bullets but barrels for .379, making accuracy a bit of a problem. I reamed out my Buffalo Classic and now it shoots great. Slug your bore and chamber cast your chamber to know what you really have and it helps.

I went to the 38/55 because recoil was becoming an issue with both my Marlin and Rolling block in the 45/70.  Highly recommetnd the 38/55.  There are factory and handloads that take this into another realm for hunting if you think you need it.  Orginal Factory spec ammo works fine for deer hunting.  

I have 3 38-55s. A HiWall , a Uberti-Win 94 and a Marlin. 

i shoot long brass in hiwall. 10.0 Unique with a 260 grn bullet. Absolute tack driver. 

short brass in lever guns. The Marlin 336 has a very tight bore.  Bullets that won’t chamber in Marlin go fine in Win 94. I had a custom chamber checker made. 

In lever guns I shoot 9.6 grns unique with a 245-255 cast bullet. 

38-55 is a great caliber. Just takes tuning to your gun. 

Double check on the 1881 Marlin. Originally Marlin didn't want Winchester's name on their rifles so they came up with the 38-56 on early rifles. Completely different cartridge than the 38-55. Later when the 38-55 got much better traction than their 38-56, they began chambering their rifles in the 38-55.

2 hours ago, Doc Neeley said:

Double check on the 1881 Marlin. Originally Marlin didn't want Winchester's name on their rifles so they came up with the 38-56 on early rifles. Completely different cartridge than the 38-55. Later when the 38-55 got much better traction than their 38-56, they began chambering their rifles in the 38-55.

There was also a .38-56 that the Colt Lightning was chambered for.   From what I have read, it is not the same as .38-55 the way .45-85 was the same as .45-70 just with a much lighter bullet.

I lucked out. Got 250 pieces of Starline short brass, a Lee mold that drops at .379-.380, and pounds of Unique. Shoots well in two Buffalo Classics (Kaya's is more accurate than mine?) a Winchester 1894, and a Marlin. I just shoot the same load through all. Chambers fine in all.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Doc Neeley said:

I don't think I've ever heard of a Marlin 1881 in 38-56. That was only in the 1895, as far as Marlin guns go. 

• Like 1

Actually, the .38-55 was introduced by the Ballard Rifle Co. in 1876, based on their earlier .38-50 Everlasting.  Winchester didn't chamber a rifle in it until the 1894.  Marlin using it in their mdl 1881, far earlier than Winchester.  The four "dash calibers" that Marlin refused to put on their rifle barrels were the 25WCF, 32WCF, 38WCF & 44WCF, using instead the 25-20, 32-20, 38-40 & .44-40 nomenclature.

Whereas the .32-40 was also introduced in the mdl 1884 Ballard and subsequently used by both Marlin and Winchester.  It was never a "WCF" cartridge.  That distinction was reserved for the .32-20.

7 hours ago, Griff said:

Actually, the .38-55 was introduced by the Ballard Rifle Co. in 1876, based on their earlier .38-50 Everlasting.  Winchester didn't chamber a rifle in it until the 1894.  Marlin using it in their mdl 1881, far earlier than Winchester.  The four "dash calibers" that Marlin refused to put on their rifle barrels were the 25WCF, 32WCF, 38WCF & 44WCF, using instead the 25-20, 32-20, 38-40 & .44-40 nomenclature.

Whereas the .32-40 was also introduced in the mdl 1884 Ballard and subsequently used by both Marlin and Winchester.  It was never a "WCF" cartridge.  That distinction was reserved for the .32-20.

I think the 25-20 was a Marlin cartridge originally, and is stamped as the "25-20M" on many Marlin 1894s.  Not because they refused to put Winchester's name on the gun, but because it was not invented by Winchester.  Additionally, Marlin seemed fine stamping "38-W" and "44-W" on their 1889 rifles, which I've always found interesting.  

Always something I think, when I see the misattributed "WCF" suffix that many like to put on the 25-20, 32-40, 38-55, and some of the Sharps cartridges.  

And I'd think a 25WCF would refer to the 25-35, but I don't usually see people use that vernacular for that cartridge.  

Bought some .379" cast bullets with gas checks and never looked back.

Can use Gas Checks in Cowboy Long Range matches.......

I stand corrected...Can Not be used in Match rifles/Revolvers.....That's where I got confused

Edited by Rancho Roy
fix

To make 38-55 brass from 30-30, just shoot 30-30 cartridges in your 38-55 chamber. There will be zero accuracy but the cases will form to your chamber perfectly. We did this all the time for the 7mmTCU in Thompson Contenders for Silhouette shooting. Fired 223 ammo in a 7TCU barrel.....

All vintage 38-55 need a bore slugged and a chamber cast. There are two lengths of 38-55 brass and the groove diameters are all over the map! Usually .379-.380 bullets will give good results in just about any 38-55.

Starline offers both length brass

Up until 1929, the 38-55 was the benchrest record holder.....Then the 222 Remington came out.....

Although 375 Winchester brass will easily chamber in a 38-55, do not load it! Bad things will happen in vintage firearms. Never understood why they didn't make the 375 cartridge just a bit longer so it wouldn't chamber in a 38-55....Infact, 375 brass is actually a tad shorter than 38-55!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rancho Roy said:

Can't use Gas Checks in Cowboy Long Range matches.......

Au Contraire.  as per the SHB, pg 30:

- Regardless of category or caliber, bullets used in long range and precision rifle matches must be made of pure lead or lead alloy having a plain base, gas checked, or paper patched configuration.

Emphasis added.   Local rules may vary.

• Thanks 1

- Regardless of category or caliber, bullets used in long range and precision rifle matches must be made of pure lead or lead alloy having a plain base, gas checked, or paper patched configuration.

Emphasis added.   Local rules may vary.

THANK YOU! I stand corrected! Now I'm going to use gas checked bullets as all my "buffalo" rifles shoot much more accurately when using Gas Checks

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Rancho Roy said:

THANK YOU! I stand corrected! Now I'm going to use gas checked bullets as all my "buffalo" rifles shoot much more accurately when using Gas Checks

The only long range rifles I don't use gas checks in are a '74 Sharps in 40-90SBN, the 1885 in .32-40, and the 1886 in 45-70, as none moves fast enough to warrant it.  But the .30-30 has never had a plain base bullet in it.  At 2200 fps I can't imagine the leading I'd have, even with 18-20 Bhn bullets.  (That is until the boating accident claimed them)! :ph34r:

This has been a fascinating discussion.   Thank you to everyone for the information.

I have to admit that after reading all the info here, and the article on Starline's website about it, that I am a little hesitant to look into this caliber.  That might be silly, but I have to be honest.   The only reason that I considered it to begin with was that of all the calibers one can get an 1881 Marlin in other than .45-70, this was the only one that seems to still be around and popular.  I'd still prefer a .45-70, but they seem to be harder to find for some reason.  (And more expensive.)  

But, since I am in no hurry, I'll just bide my time, work up my extra funds, and then pull the trigger when the time is right.

• Like 1

I would love a 38/55 .

Problem is I already have 6or7 30/30's that I shoot regularly. 

It's too easy to mix up the brass .

So instead I do 30/30 & 45/70 .

Rooster