SASS Wire Forum

Anything series worth watching on Netflix or Amazon?

Netflix:  Black Mirror (6 seasons worth)  Extraction, Glass Onion a Knives Out movie, The Witcher, Wednesday, Altered Carbon (season 1 only)

Amazon:  Good Omens, Reacher, The Expanse, Bosch, Tales from the Loop, Defiance, Warehouse 13, Burma: The Forgotten Army

The last series I watched on Netflix was Narcos/Seasons 1, 2, 3 and Narcos - Mexico/Seasons 1, 2, 3.

Narcos is an excellent account of bringing down Pablo Escobar and the Columbian Cartels

Narcos - Mexico is a great account of the beginning of the Mexican Cartel wars and finding the killers of DEA agent Kiki Camarena

Although both have a few historical inaccuracies, they are both worth watching, not just for entertainment but for an historical insight into how entire countries can be controlled by ultra rich drug lords/cartels and the struggles of clandestine "War on Drugs" campaigns on foreign soil.

• Like 1

Netflix:  an older animated Sci-Fi series; Love, Death & Robots.  Each episode is about 15 minutes long, so if you don't like one, you haven't invested a lot of time.  Some horror, some comedy... I enjoyed the variety.  You may have already seen it, but I've gone through it more than once and enjoyed it.  Good luck in your quest!!

Star Trek: Strange New World on Prime.

Several "original" characters, played by new people - Ethan Peck, Gregory's grandson, is a prefectly passable Spock.  Sounds just like Nimoy....  

In my opinion better writing than the original series, and of course the technical aspect is far superior.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Star Trek: Strange New World on Prime.

Several "original" characters, played by new people - Ethan Peck, Gregory's grandson, is a prefectly passable Spock.  Sounds just like Nimoy....  

In my opinion better writing than the original series, and of course the technical aspect is far superior.

It’s also on paramount along with Picard which isn’t bad . There’s also a third Star Trek series on paramount I couldn’t make it through because it gets so preachy 

7 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Reacher, Season 2  

yup - i love this series so far , i really liked the last one so im expecting it to be good , 

• Like 2

Got to using Netflix years ago when they mailed out DVDs.  Then got enough internet speed and box to stream.  Good for a while then they dropped a lot of good movies and put up crap for "someone else".  Got sick of seeing the crap showing up looking for something to watch so dumped them.  Now mostly YouTube and Tubi. Got Roxanne on now. 

@Chantry mentioned Bosch which is an Excellent 7 season series.

• Like 3

I never had Netfliz and don't see that I have a need. I have the Starz/Westerns channel and they have movies and TV series no commercials, also n that pkg is 5 other Starz channels all for $8.00 a month. I've seen movies that I missed in the 80's and 90's some are pretty good.

1 hour ago, Warden Callaway said:

Got to using Netflix years ago when they mailed out DVDs.  Then got enough internet speed and box to stream.  Good for a while then they dropped a lot of good movies and put up crap for "someone else".  Got sick of seeing the crap showing up looking for something to watch so dumped them.  Now mostly YouTube and Tubi. Got Roxanne on now. 

You have Roxanne on...on purpose?:P

• Haha 3

I have cable and there's a wide variety of shows to watch. INSP Channel, Grit Tv, MeTV, Starz westerns channel and 5 other Starz Channels plus I watch some of the cop shows on regular TV. I always find something to watch. Old westerns, All the Star Trek series etc.

• Like 1

I started watching a new series on HULU called “The Artful Dodger”. It is based on Charles Dickens characters from his story about the pick pockets in London about 1830.  They are grown one is a British Navy doctor. I believe it is set in Bermuda. It is a lot better than I can describe. Also, on public broadcasting there is a series called Miss Scarlet, about a lady detective in London same time period 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

@Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 what kind of shows do you like. That would help narrow it down. 

I love Sci-Fi, Star Trek, super natural type stuff.

Tired of cop shows and shows about “elites”, lawyers and dramas.

Can't. I like all types of shows. Sci-Fi, cops, mystery, some reality like Dr. Pol, westerns, action/adventure, war, historical... With a few exceptions, I'm not much into musicals, romance, and comedies.

I guess I'm wanting more than the pabulum that Hollywood feeds to the masses.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

Did you watch the first few seasons of The Walking Dead?

That's when it was a good show.

They certainly have milked that one for all it’s worth 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

Did you watch the first few seasons of The Walking Dead?

That's when it was a good show.

Yeah, when that d’bag with the barbed wire ball bat come on the scene it just got stupid. Then when Rick had an excellent chance to shoot that d’bag he didn’t. That was the last episode I saw. 

• Thanks 1

Okay.

Netflix

SERIES:

Peaky Blinders - English crime family early 1900’s

Band of Brothers - WW2 series

The Crown - series about the Royal family in Britain.

Breaking Bad - crime series. It’s pretty good. 
Better Call Saul - off shoot of Breaking Bad - never watched it. 
Loudermilk - dry humor about addiction 

Black List - farfetched crime series but pretty good. 
Dead to Me - dark humor. Crime

Godless - Western drama

Queen’s Gambit - chess championship humor, drama, pretty darn good

Away - space sci-fi

Several WW2 series

Supernatural - damn good 15 season show about 2 brothers fighting ghosts and demons. I highly recommend it. 
Money Heist - excellent foreign crime drama

Money Heist Berlin - see above 

MOVIES:

John Wick 1, 2 and 3

Love and Monsters - sci fi

Bullet Train - Farfetched crime, but good

Prometheus - Alien Space sci-fi

Monty Python’s Holy Grail

The Sting

Several Marvel and DC Comics movies, if you like that sort of thing.

Amazon Prime

SERIES

Stargate SG1 - Sci Fi

Stargate Atlantis - Sci-fi

Night Sky - Sci-fi with Sissy Spacek :wub:

Downton Abbey - wife’s favorite 

The Musketeers- 17th century France with swords

Outer Range - western sci-fi

Absentia - crime drama
House - medical drama

Mr Robot - high tech crime drama

Chuck - humorous secret agent 

The Feed - Sci-fi

Goliath - Billy Bob Thornton plays a lawyer. Pretty good

Upload - sci-fi humor. Funny!

The Boys - Super heroes portrayed what I believe to be realistically. It’s raunchy and hilarious 

The Man in the High Castle - sci-fi

The Expanse - in my opinion the best space sci-fi series ever. 
The Outlaws - British humor

Carnival Row - fantasy drama

Bosch - crime drama

I didn’t bother with FreeVee. Prime’s commercial laden TV. I don’t pay to watch commercials. Screw that noise. 

Do you have Paramount+ (plus) ? If so I have a few recommendations on there as well. 

Paramount+ has all the Star Trek series and movies. 

• Thanks 1