SASS Wire Forum

Alabama cheated out of championship game

I was amazed that there wasn't a "running into the kicker, 5 yard penalty, First Down!" called on that.  Even though it was clearly unintentional, it should have drawn a flag.  

But "cheated" is a bit strong.  If The Tide was that good, it shouldn't have been that close a game. 

Slight change of topic - Did it seem like the bowl games yesterday had an extraordinary number of injuries?

Anybody notice we actually have an Extraordinary (new normal) number of meaningless bowl games.

By the way, Bama Lost.  Plain and simple.  Not "Cheated" and the kicker put on a fine act.

18 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Anybody notice we actually have an Extraordinary (new normal) number of meaningless bowl games.

By the way, Bama Lost.  Plain and simple.  Not "Cheated" and the kicker put on a fine act.

I commented about that to my wife yesterday, or maybe it was Sunday.  43 bowl games is indeed excessive.  And the whole, complex, convoluted system of National College Football Champion Bowl Series (whatever it's called) is idiotic.  I miss the days of 3 or 4 bowl games and whoever won the Rose Bowl was considered to the the champion college football team.

The Transperfect Bowl looked like an interesting matchup. I mean Auburn, still with that indecisive identity after all these years- War Eagle or Tiger- goes to the Trans Bowl.
And Maryland, amid tier ACC team vs a mid tier SEC team. Didn’t figure Maryland to trounce them but with Auburn, you never know how they’ll show up.

so many players opted out for the Pros the teams that played were not the same teams. I think FSU lost 11 starters and LSUs Heisman quarterback did not play

PLUS ONE for the Subdeacon.  I "was" relying on college Football for entertainment after NASCAR quit being NASCAR.  Now, unfortunately, College Football has become a JOKE!!

1 minute ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

PLUS ONE for the Subdeacon.  I "was" relying on college Football for entertainment after NASCAR quit being NASCAR.  Now, unfortunately, College Football has become a JOKE!!

Yeah, as far as I am concerned football season is over. Don't care who plays on Thursday and Bama shouldn't have even been in the playoffs. It should have been Georgia or FSU but FSU had the rating but did fall way off after all their players left them so it wouldn't have been much of a game if it had been them.

TM

3 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

They're still playing football? Didn't notice. It seemed meaningless all the way back when I went to Ohio State University, and it still does.

NASCAR went the way of modern archery where they’ve tried to take out of them as much of the human element as possible. 

Football at all levels has become about self and money. 
Arch Manning- $2.8 million NIL and he’s a freaking backup making over twice the starters NIL deal.

Marvin Harrison jr. $1.8-2 million net worth $5-6 million

That kid from Buford Dylan Ravioli or whatever chose Nebraska over Georgia signed NIL deals not even out if high school.

2 hours ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

NASCAR went the way of modern archery where they’ve tried to take out of them as much of the human element as possible. 

Football at all levels has become about self and money. 
Arch Manning- $2.8 million NIL and he’s a freaking backup making over twice the starters NIL deal.

Marvin Harrison jr. $1.8-2 million net worth $5-6 million

That kid from Buford Dylan Ravioli or whatever chose Nebraska over Georgia signed NIL deals not even out if high school.

Yeah, the portal and allowing the colleges to pay their players has ruined it as far as I am concerned. It just isn't the same. Everyone jumping around just for the almighty dollar and no concern for the education they are supposed to be getting.

TM

I was rootin for Bama, but they lost.   They had their chances to increase their score and/or keep the ball longer towards the end

of the game but their performance was a little lacking on certain plays and therefore........... they came up short.  Just like when 

the QB fumbled during a run.

Michigan had their misques also.  

Being an E.TN native (born and raised), I'm a Vol fan basically.   But if I were a high school star, knowing my families financial 

situation, and a nice NIL package was staring me in the face, I would have to consider going with the $$$.

I wouldn't sell my loyalty to my country or friends,  but choosing between one college over another when SERIOUS money is

involved can sure enhance an athlete's life..... and in some situation, enhance the life of his Mom and Dad.

Now, for the record, I haven't been offered any NIL money to keep shooting at my local Cowboy clubs.

Matter of fact, they charge me to shoot with them.   Where's MY money?   :lol:

..........Widder

I don't like the portal (free agency) nor do I like the 'pay for image' scam and lastly I hate the 'Opt Outs' by the stars that hope to go pro.  They will play if they have a chance at the National Championship but not if it is a lower tier bowl.  Maybe they will stop playing in a playoff game if they get too far behind.  They travel, party, and practice with the team but don't play with their 'mates'.  TEAM?

I watch less and less college football.  And don't get me started on the Arab Golf League.

As for the punter call, could have been,  seemed the punter kept his leg extended and did a dive like a European Soccer Player.  Compare it to the late hit out of bounds on the UM QB late in the 4th Quarter.  It wasn't called either and was just as big a play.  Best if the Zebras stay out of the game if possible IMO.

I believe that I heard there were 43 bowl games.  Teams are supposed to have 6 wins to be eligible.  The committees for some of them surely drag the dredges to find an eligible pair of teams. 

That aside, with the transfer portal and players opting to not play (they're going Pro and don't want to get hurt) some of the schools should have just forfeited vs. playing. 

Far, far too many bowl games. 

Cut it back to the original 5 or 6 and go from there.  And the transfer portal shouldn't be available until after the season is over, including bowl games. 

Just my thoughts, 

BS

12 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

43 bowl games is indeed excessive.  And the whole, complex, convoluted system of National College Football Champion Bowl Series (whatever it's called) is idiotic.

3 hours ago, Barry Sloe said:

I believe that I heard there were 43 bowl games.  Teams are supposed to have 6 wins to be eligible.  The committees for some of them surely drag the dredges to find an eligible pair of teams. 

Far, far too many bowl games. 

BS

Everybody gets a trophy.

51 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Everybody gets a trophy.

Pretty much 

Someone told me there are 130 division 1 teams plus another (roughly 300) division 2 teams of which 24 fight it out for their championship. Don’t know if D2 are bowl eligible or not but if there are 42 division D1 bowl games (84 teams) roughly 65% play in a bowl of some kind!

wow!

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

12 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I was rootin for Bama, but they lost.   They had their chances to increase their score and/or keep the ball longer towards the end

of the game but their performance was a little lacking on certain plays and therefore........... they came up short.  Just like when 

the QB fumbled during a run.

Michigan had their misques also.  

Being an E.TN native (born and raised), I'm a Vol fan basically.   But if I were a high school star, knowing my families financial 

situation, and a nice NIL package was staring me in the face, I would have to consider going with the $$$.

I wouldn't sell my loyalty to my country or friends,  but choosing between one college over another when SERIOUS money is

involved can sure enhance an athlete's life..... and in some situation, enhance the life of his Mom and Dad.

Now, for the record, I haven't been offered any NIL money to keep shooting at my local Cowboy clubs.

Matter of fact, they charge me to shoot with them.   Where's MY money?   :lol:

..........Widder

Well said, Widder.  

I'm not a NASCAR fan but they're still racing right? The college bowl games are still being played right? I don't get what all the grumping is about, of course I don't watch either so................

While I understand not wanting to get injured in a meaningless game before potentially embarking on a lucrative professional sports career, I loathe the guys who tell the team, "Yeah, I helped get you there, I'm one of you, but for now, in the most important game you will play in college, you are on your own, I'm not playing." 
If you're on the team, you play unless you're injured.  Your team helped position you for that potential big contract, you don't just say, "Thanks for the lift!" and let them down.

Subdeacon Joe is right but to get back on Alabama. NOBODY in Louisiana likes  Nick Satan after he left LSU!  I live on Alabama Street and have requested the town change the street name. I have a friend that looks like him and acts like him. I am getting where I hate to look at him. Joe Burrow was a class act but this last quarterback for the Tigers had no class. Irish ☘️ Pat

21 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Yep...he was out there on the next time they had to punt and did fine!!!  He should get an Oscar for his performance!! LOL!

When your center can't snap the ball to your QB, in shotgun formation, after 12 games played.......you don't deserve to be in the hunt for a national championship. Except maybe pee wee football.

1 hour ago, Capt. R. Hugh Kidnme said:

When your center can't snap the ball to your QB, in shotgun formation, after 12 games played.......you don't deserve to be in the hunt for a national championship. Except maybe pee wee football.

Exactly!  

I kept thinking “He has only one job…”

1 hour ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

Exactly!  

I kept thinking “He has only one job…”

I disagree Charlie.  The Center has a terribly difficult job.  First he has to hear the count then see that the QB is actually looking his way.  Next he has put the ball somewhere near where the idiot that get's all the glory is standing. Then he can't hike the ball too hard because it might jam his pinky.  We all know what that means, doctor- doctor.  Then with one arm between his legs he has to block the nose guard.  Now a Nose Guard is the biggest, meanest Homo Sapien the coach could find that mostly understands the spoken word, often they have a high percentage of Neanderthal DNA.  The Nose Neanderthal wants to push our boy the Center left or right so his cousin, a real knuckle dragger with mountain gorilla DNA, called a middle linebacker can rush though the hole.  The center wants to prevent the gorilla from making the popular, egotistical. well paid face of the team resemble mashed potatoes. And that is all he has to do, simple so very simple.

Archived