SASS Wire Forum

yellow fuel can

Alpo

Just awakened from my mid-morning nap. During my nap I was having a dream that involved a very convoluted oil change in a vehicle, and at some point we poured 2 gallons of oil into a yellow plastic five gallon jerican (or 19 liters, if you prefer).

When I woke, I sat there wondering about the yellow can. They are supposed to be color coded. Gasoline is supposed to go in a red can. Kerosene in blue.

What are they supposed to put in yellow? I've seen yellow cans, so I know they exist. Diesel? Hydraulic fluid? What?

2 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

All well and good unless you’re colorblind. ;)

Yup. However they do plainly in raised lettering state what the can is meant for. Blue says Kerosene, Yellow says Diesel. At least that’s the cans around my place. 

Drinking water jugs are blue as well, however they are of a completely different design that I have seen and experienced.  

At my house yellow is 2-st gas.  Oil/gas mixed.   Helps prevent straight gassing a chainsaw.   As above they are supposed to be diesel.
  Diesel fuel pumps should be green covers on the handle.  Except bp stations which use green on gas due to green being a corporate color.  also diesel price on signs should be green vs red for gas.  Again bp uses green for gas.   I refuse to buy gas at bp as I have pulled in to them more than once expecting diesel and finding lots of green handles, yet no diesel.  

Yellow 5 gallon for the tractor, red 5 gallon for gasoline, one gallon red with with 2 Cycle writ large next to the spout for devices.  Works well for me.  BTW, in a pinch, or if it is getting old, you can feed a little 2 cycle into a gasoline powered pickup.  

On 12/10/2023 at 1:36 PM, Renegade Plowboy said:

Yup. However they do plainly in raised lettering state what the can is meant for. Blue says Kerosene, Yellow says Diesel. At least that’s the cans around my place. 

Drinking water jugs are blue as well, however they are of a completely different design that I have seen and experienced.  

Also my blue water jugs are thinner plastic and 6 gallons rather than 5 gallons for gas (red) or diesel (yellow).

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

On 12/10/2023 at 10:30 AM, Texas Joker said:

Screenshot_20231210_092921_Brave.thumb.jpg.20591dc5ed54efda48d533e96c1548c6.jpgScreenshot_20231210_092914_Brave.thumb.jpg.21a7259865c477246120d51aeea524a3.jpgScreenshot_20231210_092602_Brave.thumb.jpg.662adf558dd30e715ab31367153fc124.jpg

Hess stations used to have green handles on their GASOLINE dispensers and a different color handle (black maybe?) for diesel. One of our drivers didn't notice, filled the bucket truck up with gasoline instead of diesel. He got about a half a mile or so before it died. I got there to pick him up at the same time as the wrecker to tow the truck away to the mechanic. Our driver asked what happened and was told. He said "Let me guess...you filled up at the Hess with the green handle." Driver said "Yes". Tow truck driver told us that he was out there about twice a month for the same thing. As far as I know, Hess never did change the color on the handles before they sold out to another company.

On 12/10/2023 at 8:39 AM, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

guess my understanding was wrong , and the local fuel stations color coded handles on the fuel pump handles are as well , but thats OK i been wrong before and dont mind admitting when i am , i like to learn something new every day , 

8 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Hess stations used to have green handles on their GASOLINE dispensers and a different color handle (black maybe?) for diesel. One of our drivers didn't notice, filled the bucket truck up with gasoline instead of diesel. He got about a half a mile or so before it died. I got there to pick him up at the same time as the wrecker to tow the truck away to the mechanic. Our driver asked what happened and was told. He said "Let me guess...you filled up at the Hess with the green handle." Driver said "Yes". Tow truck driver told us that he was out there about twice a month for the same thing. As far as I know, Hess never did change the color on the handles before they sold out to another company.

BP fuel stations are backwards as well. They use green for gasoline, and black for diesel. My guess is because their trademark colors are green and pump more gas than diesel so they put the green on the more abundant gas pumps. Everyone else that I can think of right now are black for gasoline and green for diesel.
E-85 is yellow hose and handle. E-15, E-20 is blue hose with blue handle. 

9 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

More than one of my guys filled diesel bucket trucks with gas the same way at BP! The mechanic foreman would always read me the riot act like they did it on purpose!

Archived