Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

Has Anyone shot one of these


Rye Miles #13621

Recommended Posts

Anyone shoot one of these. I’m thinking about this for home defense 

image.thumb.png.7eda9433b62804927dec7378f76a8e43.png

Edited by Rye Miles #13621
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

I tried one out at a match. It was fun w/AA Lites, wouldn't want to use high brass shells in it. Shot 5 rounds out of it, hit the knockdown once. If you were to practice with it often, it could be a very effective HDW. I do think that there are many better HDW guns however that don't require the use of both hands, carry more ammo and are easier to reload.

 

Remember that the people who say "How can you miss with a shotgun?" have never shot a shotgun in competition or under duress.;)

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

 

I tried one out at a match. It was fun w/AA Lites, wouldn't want to use high brass shells in it. Shot 5 rounds out of it, hit the knockdown once. If you were to practice with it often, it could be a very effective HDW. I do think that there are many better HDW guns however that don't require the use of both hands, carry more ammo and are easier to reload.

 

Remember that the people who say "How can you miss with a shotgun?" have never shot a shotgun in competition or under duress.;)

I have a mix of revolvers and semi autos in my house for HD. I know what you mean. I thought this would be good for a basement gun. I’ll have to try one before I buy.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Closest I can come is one of these...

 

TerminatorShotgun.thumb.JPG.a805a6342d2d22ad100eb33b3c861983.JPG

 

Fun to shoot, a little "flippy" but not hard to control at all.  Recoil is not excessive.  And not SASS Legal for some unknown reason.  (But it should be!)

Got permission to pair it with these at one local club...

AllThree.thumb.JPG.5a13c280f6c9927d99b4fb4c0ec9c050.JPG

 

Used 'em with my Lightning rifle.  Shot the match clean.  :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That looks like the Mossberg version and if it is the safety will rip the shit out of your hand between thumb and first finger if your shooting anything more than lite game loads, I shot a few over the years and they don’t seem to point well and pumping the action is a bit awkward, they look like they would work great but a pistol is way faster. My house gun is a mossberg 500 with a pachmayr vindicator pistol grip, not really much bigger but points better, never hurts my wrist, carries a few more rounds and sports a streamlite laser/light. Try before you buy on either the Remington or mossberg shorty. If you should happen to find one of the Remington semi auto shortys don’t buy that either they are WAY to much fun to shoot, a guy could use up all his ammo with one of those around

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I fired one with a true pistol grip, recoil was significant.   The grip on this might reduce the recoil a little, but the gun is going to roll upward more.

 

I would not choose one for self defense

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm in CA and not allowed to defend myself until the bad guy kills me first.
However, I have a house cat that identifies as a saber tooth tiger.. mebbe he will defend the home.

We aren't allowed to own mare's leg weapons, but I do have a legal 870 with extended magazine when ANTIFA/BLM comes calling.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Oak Ridge Regulator said:

That looks like the Mossberg version and if it is the safety will rip the shit out of your hand between thumb and first finger if your shooting anything more than lite game loads, I shot a few over the years and they don’t seem to point well and pumping the action is a bit awkward, they look like they would work great but a pistol is way faster.

 

Your description pretty much describes my first impression with it also. 

 

Would be a good get out of the basement gun though!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bgavin said:

I'm in CA and not allowed to defend myself until the bad guy kills me first.

 

Garbage, and you know it.  Or you should.  In spite of the official push to ban all firearms California is actually pretty good about allowing home self defense.  Maybe certain DAs would give you grief, but in general CA allows it.  A couple of years back a guy in Kelseyville even followed some home invaders outside a killed one of them outside and wasn't prosecuted as he had a reasonable belief that the thug would return and harm him.  

Edited by Subdeacon Joe
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That hand loop on the forend looks like it would do a job on your hand with a heavy load.

 

Quote

Remember that the people who say "How can you miss with a shotgun?" have never shot a shotgun in competition or under duress.

 

Have never shot one period.  And have never thought about the external ballistics of the shot column.  What is it?  It spread 1" for every yard of travel from the muzzle?  So that 3/4 inch diameter mass of shot, at normal house ranges will be maybe 5" or 6" diameter at the target.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is that a Mossberg? 
 

Rye, that corn cob pump forend is the best. My very favorite slide grip. 
I would lose the smooth would butt grip. Get one with texture so your hand doesn’t slip and get munched by the safety. OR you could wrap that grip with skateboard tape or buy some rubber grip sheets from Talon. They make excellent grip wraps. 

@Oak Ridge Regulatoris right. 
Don’t put a pistol grip on it. One firing with your wrist out of alignment with the direction of the gun and you will regret it. 

Please let me know if that’s a Mossberg. It sure looks like one. I want another shotgun with that corncob slide.:D

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

 

Garbage, and you know it.  Or your should.  In spite of the official push to ban all forearms California is actually pretty good about allowing home self defense.  Maybe certain DAs would give you grief, but in general CA allows it.  A couple of years back a guy in Kelseyville even followed some home invaders outside a killed one of them outside and wasn't prosecuted as he had a reasonable belief that the thug would return and harm him.  

Joe is right. 
 

The law states (paraphrasing) “If a resident shoots an intruder the police are to assume the intruder was there to commit harm.” Look it up. You’ll find it in the penal codes. 
 

Just make sure any gun you have for home defense is totally legal. That includes legal magazines. 10 rounders. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Buddy of mine had the Mossberg with the full pistol grip.

I didn't know the trick of pulling hard forward on the slide -- the instruction I received later was, "Try to pull the gun in two, then fire!"

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

Is that a Mossberg? 
 Please let me know if that’s a Mossberg. It sure looks like one. I want another shotgun with that corncob slide.:D

That's absolutely a Mossberg. However I wouldn't want one. My house gun is a Mossberg 500 with the 7 round magazine and 20" barrel. I reduced the OAL with a M4 6 position stock. 

I've fired shotguns with no shoulder stock and I do NOT recommend it. That Shockwave has a 14" barrel on it, and while it's very maneuverable, I don't think that an 18" barrel with a M4 stock tucked into your side would be much less so. Plus, if you had a standard 500 you could get multiple other barrels for it. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am not 100% percent sure but I believe if you replace that grip with either a stock or a pistol grip it becomes a shot barrel shotgun in the eyes of the ATF and therefore requires registration and tax stamp. Heard this from a very large gun dealer who was selling them at a show, he said you cannot change the grip without changing its legal status. I figured he was a FFL holder and was selling them so Itook him at his word YVMV

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

That's absolutely a Mossberg. However I wouldn't want one. My house gun is a Mossberg 500 with the 7 round magazine and 20" barrel. I reduced the OAL with a M4 6 position stock. 

I've fired shotguns with no shoulder stock and I do NOT recommend it. That Shockwave has a 14" barrel on it, and while it's very maneuverable, I don't think that an 18" barrel with a M4 stock tucked into your side would be much less so. Plus, if you had a standard 500 you could get multiple other barrels for it. 

I thought so. Thank you. The reason I asked is I saw two Shockwave type guns at the last gun show I went to that looked just like Mossbergs. I don’t recall who made them. 
 

I also have a Mossberg 500 7-shot 12 gauge. I put an Adaptive Tactical stock and forend on so I can collapse the stock fully and shoulder it but still be able to load and fire indoors easily. It sit in my gun safe at the ready. I put a side saddle on it with 6 more rounds. 
 

If I got a Shockwave I would convert it to 1 3/4” mini shells. All you need is an easy to install adapter in your loading port and Wallah! A shotgun that doesn’t kick the snot out of you. Aguila’s mini shotgun shell Buckshot round is 6 #4 pellets at 1200 fps. I think that would put a dent in someone’s (butt). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

 

Garbage, and you know it.  Or you should.  In spite of the official push to ban all firearms California is actually pretty good about allowing home self defense.  Maybe certain DAs would give you grief, but in general CA allows it.  A couple of years back a guy in Kelseyville even followed some home invaders outside a killed one of them outside and wasn't prosecuted as he had a reasonable belief that the thug would return and harm him.  

Tsk, tsk.
You, of all educated people, should realize SARCASM when you see it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Racking a shell into the chamber of that gun would be a deterrent..

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Canton Chris said:

Racking a shell into the chamber of that gun would be a deterrent..

Years ago a buddy of mine owned a tricked out competition 1911, which also served as his nightstand gun, and he owned a Remington 870 that he always kept the magazine, but not the chamber loaded. 
One weekend his wife took their daughter to spend a weekend at her father’s. My buddy Paul was working all weekend so he stayed home. 
In the middle of the night he heard two guy’s voices coming from his living room. He peaked out and saw them in front of his entertainment center. 
He started to grab the shotgun but he had cleaned it the day before and didn’t reload the magazine. 
He got his .45 out of the drawer, stuck it between his knees, racked the slide on the shotgun then tossed it on the bed and came out of his room with his .45 to confront these 2 guys in time to see them both going out his front door at the same time as fast as they could go. :lol:
He called the police and filed a report but nothing came of it. 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

We need a sarcasm font, right? :)

:P Isn’t this a sarcasm emoji??

 

BTW that is a Mossberg Pat

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Rye Miles #13621

One thing I would like you to know. If you buy this please use the forend strap when cycling the action. 
When I lived in Oregon I heard of a couple people that nearly blew their hand off because they removed the strap and got a bit over zealous racking the slide. Their hands slipped off the forend. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

@Rye Miles #13621

One thing I would like you to know. If you buy this please use the forend strap when cycling the action. 
When I lived in Oregon I heard of a couple people that nearly blew their hand off because they removed the strap and got a bit over zealous racking the slide. Their hands slipped off the forend. 

Thanks, I’ll make sure I remember!! B)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Thanks, I’ll make sure I remember!! B)


Here’s an idea for the rear grip. 
 

image.thumb.jpeg.72b9ee2c0b425c45c9869ea1c3342a4d.jpeg

 


Below is what I would go with. I have Talon grip wraps on a few of my Glocks. Definitely worth the money, but take my advice, do not put the granulate one on a shotgun. It’s like 80 grit sandpaper. You could grip the heck out of it and your hand will not slip, but your skin will feel really odd for a day or two. The rubber is my favorite. 
 

TALON GRIPS for Shockwave Raptor Grip for Mossberg 500 Series and Remington 870 (Wrap Only) https://a.co/d/6VOUGHh

————————————————————
 

Some others that may be okay. 

 

500, 590 Shockwave Raptor Shotgun Grip Wrap https://a.co/d/9OBmKGV
 

https://www.handleitgrips.com/product-page/shockwave-skull-textured-rubber-gun-grip-wrap

 

 

 

Edited by Pat Riot
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.