SASS Wire Forum

Gun Buy Back Oops

Lawdog Dago Dom

Anyone who received those cards in exchange for a firearm that they surrendered should file criminal charges against those in charge of the program for fraud!!

2 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Anyone who received those cards in exchange for a firearm that they surrendered should file criminal charges against those in charge of the program for fraud!!

Anyone who takes part in these “gun buy programs” needs their heads examined!

5 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

This is actually justice.  I love it.

How is it justice?   Almost all the firearms turned in are things that have been gathering dust in the backs of closets since Grandpa died.  

I have a Davis derringer that I have held onto for years hoping to offload it at an illegal event where police who are not FFL holders trade tax dollars for crap firearms so some politico can claim he-she is not soft on crime. 

9 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

I have a Davis derringer that I have held onto for years hoping to offload it at an illegal event where police who are not FFL holders trade tax dollars for crap firearms so some politico can claim he-she is not soft on crime. 

I used to work with a guy that took 4 non-working bb/air pistols to a buyback in Tampa, Fl. He got $400 in cash for them. I think that they "wised" up and now require them to be actual firearms, working or not, pay with gift cards and don't pay as much.

I think that there are two types of people who sell guns at a gun buyback.  There are those who came into possession of a gun, possibly inherited or abandoned by a prior associate.  They have bought into the idea that guns are evil and want to make sure this demonic item never hurts anyone.  Therefore, turning it over to the police for destruction and getting a gift card is a solution to their perceived problem.  The painful part is when they turn over Grandpa's WWII Singer 1911 or war trophy Luger.

The other type of person is like myself.  I have this piece of crap gun that I don't consider worth anything, but I would be thrilled at getting $100 gift card for it.  I have a piece of crap bolt action .22 rifle from Western Auto that won't feed from the tube magazine anymore.   I'm just waiting for a gun buyback program in my area.  

Good point Pat makes. How do they legally take possession of the buy back guns without a NICS check for everyone of them? Also how about waiting periods and multiple turn ins, banned weapons etc. Just because you're cops, shouldn't be an exemption to the idiot laws that have been passed.

4 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

..How do they legally take possession of the buy back guns with a NICS check for everyone of them…

A FFL is required only for Sellers that are operating as a business so no NICS check is required?

5 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

A great place to get rid of a Jennings 22!

You might want to hold on to that Jenning pos. Look at the bids on Gunbroker and the like. For the life of me, I can't understand why the Jennings/Ravens/etc. get the traffic that they do....well over $100.:o

I remember reading a story about a woman who brought her husband's old WWII "bring back" gun...an StG-44. The cops actually didn't destroy the gun as they did the rest of the buy backs. If I recall correctly, they put it in a museum of some kind.

3 minutes ago, Matthew Duncan said:

A FFL is required only for Sellers that are operating as a business so no NICS check is required?

Here we have "universal background checks" , I can't legally give my gun to my wife without going thru an FFL to do the NICS check. Not that everyone does:ph34r:, but that's beside the point. What exempts law enforcement from the same thing. I can't just up and offer to buy everybody's unwanted guns for $100 a piece.

Too bad! I'd be a great way to get some pretty cool guns from Grandpa's closet!

2 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Here we have "universal background checks" , I can't legally give my gun to my wife without going thru an FFL to do the NICS check. Not that everyone does:ph34r:, but that's beside the point. What exempts law enforcement from the same thing. I can't just up and offer to buy everybody's unwanted guns for $100 a piece.

I live in the free State of Indiana

On 12/6/2023 at 10:39 AM, Cypress Sun said:

Actually, that's funnier than all get out.:lol:

Fit's right in with the entire Chicago persona.

I resemble that remark ;)

4 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

I checked the laws on it in California.  The laws pertaining to this waste of tax dollars have an exemption to the background checks and 4473 requirements.  Not sure how they manage to negate the federal law.

1 hour ago, Grass Range said:

Buy backs result in the antis crowing about how successful the program is so it gives them a feather in their caps. I would rather throw one away but I do not need the $50

And then claim how many they got off the streets:D. No, they just got them out of anti's and Grandma's closets. Seriously doubt criminals are turning in guns unless they just stole them!

17 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

I have a POS .22 caliber pepperbox like this one:

Screenshot_20231207-132249-239.thumb.png.721bd681e2aadbc6fae9809a6f26362d.png

and a beater bolt action Winchester .22 that someone gave me.  Stock has a huge crack in it, missing the rear sight, needs a new tube magazine follower.  I always manage to miss the events.  I suppose I could also try to get something for my "New Orleans Ace" boot gun.

What I don't understand about these programs is how the government entity can get away with destroying evidence.  They're "no questions asked," just turn it in and get your reward.Gangbanger turns in pistol he used in a robbery, or maybe a murder, walks away.  Government entity does all their back-patting publicity photos and press releases, then destroy all the firearms.  Now there is no firearm to tie the thug to the crime.

17 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I have a POS .22 caliber pepperbox like this one:

Screenshot_20231207-132249-239.thumb.png.721bd681e2aadbc6fae9809a6f26362d.png

and a beater bolt action Winchester .22 that someone gave me.  Stock has a huge crack in it, missing the rear sight, needs a new tube magazine follower.  I always manage to miss the events.  I suppose I could also try to get something for my "New Orleans Ace" boot gun.

Here’s my POS

IMG_4429.thumb.jpeg.e90b5973b42124e4fcad7f7773b929b1.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

What's wrong with that? ;)

It's a Davis, likely not going to fire no matter what.

Sure, it'd fire...probably when you close it...kind of a derringer slam fire.:o:blink:

3 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

What's wrong with that? ;)

It's a Davis, likely not going to fire no matter what.

:lol:
Oh, it fires just fine. 
It has the hardest to pull trigger I have ever encountered, but it fires just fine.

I first noticed the firing pin protruding shortly after I bought it. 
I bought it for $63 at Turner’s Outdoorsman in SoCal. It was a demo gun that had been dropped a few times. 

I bought it for SASS side matches, but never used it for one. 
I made the grip panels from oak. It came with black plastic ones. 

36 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

Sure, it'd fire...probably when you close it...kind of a derringer slam fire.:o:blink:

Luckily than never occurred. Before loading it I would reset the firing pins so that the upper barrel would fire first. Setting it up like that it was safe to close the barrels to the frame. 
I considered selling it but it would break my heart if I did and someone was injured or worse because of the protruding upper firing pin. I have never tried to disassemble it to see why it does that and repair it. 

Gotta proofread better 

38 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

I had to edit above. I meant upper not lower barrel. 

On the news they showed tables with revolvers.

There was a stainless vaquero. And a few pocket pistols. 

Everything they had was worth a lot more than a $100 dollar gift card.

Wish I had the funds. Set up a trailer across the street. Give the people $100 cash for the 

good firearms. 

Let the cops have the junk.

I don’t care what kind of POS gun I had I refuse to support these buy back programs! I’ll sell it at a gun show or destroy it or use it as a paperweight before I go to one of these antigun events !

Hmmm......maybe guys like Tony Soprano, and the other Mob guys, figured out how to get rid of guns used in certain business "practices" and started this whole thing.   If the guns are just destroyed without any checking for previous owners or crimes, bingo, we have a winner. 

12 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

You might want to hold on to that Jenning pos. Look at the bids on Gunbroker and the like. For the life of me, I can't understand why the Jennings/Ravens/etc. get the traffic that they do....well over $100.:o

I remember reading a story about a woman who brought her husband's old WWII "bring back" gun...an StG-44. The cops actually didn't destroy the gun as they did the rest of the buy backs. If I recall correctly, they put it in a museum of some kind.

They put in a museum but before they did they used a welder to make it permanently inert.

3 hours ago, Bailey Creek,5759 said:

On the news they showed tables with revolvers.

There was a stainless vaquero. And a few pocket pistols. 

Everything they had was worth a lot more than a $100 dollar gift card.

Wish I had the funds. Set up a trailer across the street. Give the people $100 cash for the 

good firearms. 

Let the cops have the junk.

A few gun shops in the DFW area did just that. Walked up and down the line of people offering them way more for their firearms than the libtards were.

Since then there have been no more "gun buybacks" in the DFW area.

Archived