SASS Wire Forum

Youth pump 20 ga choices

Dirty Dan Dawkins

I figure someone on here has been down this road with their kids....

Remington 870 or Mossberg 500?

Looking for my boys......I have had several Mossberg's and one 870.

I'm leaning towards the 870.

Either will serve your purposes, but I wouldn’t go with the 20ga.

Ammunition is much harder to find and lighter loads like we use in CAS are nearly impossible!

My grandson said that the 20ga recoil was worse than the 12ga for him. Both of those shotguns are fairly lightweight.  That makes recoil more noticeable.

18 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Either will serve your purposes, but I wouldn’t go with the 20ga.

Ammunition is much harder to find and lighter loads like we use in CAS are nearly impossible!

My grandson said that the 20ga recoil was worse than the 12ga for him. Both of those shotguns are fairly lightweight.  That makes recoil more noticeable.

THIS ^^^^

You can get either with a "Youth" stock, about an inch and a half shorter than a "Standard" stock. You could get a "Standard" stock "take off" on eBay to replace it with when he grows into it.  

Or... if you want to go "Tactical", you can get an M4, 6 position stock. 

I We* started my son, Sassparilla Kid, off with a standard-sized single shot H&R Topper in 20 gauge.  He had no problems with it whatsoever; in fact, he did quite well with it, taking his first ducks and doves.  

*Baby shower gift from his Great Uncle Frankie.  He had his first shotgun before he was born.  ^_^

Anyway, for his tenth Christmas I "upgraded" him to the 20 gauge 870 Youth Model, just as @Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 described.  Although he's something like 6' 3" tall now, back then he was just a li'l kid and handled the 20 just fine.  (Not so the H&R Topper 410 "Youth Model."  That thing was brutal - even I didn't like it, and we happily gave it to someone else.)  But his Remington he enjoyed for all his "growing up"  years ~ still keeping an eye out for an adult size stock set.  That said, I would not hesitate to start another kid with a 20 gauge.

Oh... his "adult" favorite field shotguns are his O/U CZ Woodcock 12 gauge and his Winchester Model 12 16 gauge.

Here's the Kid with his 20 ga Topper at about age 8, and the Model 12 some fifteen years later.

image.jpeg.d6a847b5633e1216ecff5010d6f572cc.jpeg    image.jpeg.f77fc18f7a68408f7d0da02b2ab4f865.jpeg

If he's right handed either is a great gun. If left handed, the tang safety on the 500 is a huge advantage.

17 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

If he's right handed either is a great gun. If left handed, the tang safety on the 500 is a huge advantage.

True. I have been told that the safety on an 870 can be reversed. I have not done it, however.

As a left hander...I have only had one left handed gun. And reversed one safety. All they did was mess me up. I don't know why anyone would think a top tang safety would mess up a left hander...my safety of choice. About the most ambidextrous safety there is. The only gun I ever fired that I didn't like was a friends 11-87. For some reason it would spit out unburned powder right into my face...and a Henry big boy in 45 colt. Every shot was like a smokey glaucoma test. It lasted two matches

I just bought a 20 gauge 870 Fieldmaster. I bought the 12 gauge last year and really like it. I have not even cleaned the new one yet but I'm already impressed. It is a quality arm.

20 double with light hand loads

Then a 10 gauge double with light handloads.

All with black powder

More fun

On 11/9/2023 at 11:21 PM, watab kid said:

buy them a 12 ga , its a myth that the 20 kicks less - it kicks harder and with light loads a 12 will serve them better longer , 

BS I have both, the 20 kicks much less, less shot less kick, just that simple. I can shoot 100 round sporting clays with a 20 no problem, with a 12 I'm done after a box. I've never had any more trouble finding 20 ga shells than 12.

On 11/14/2023 at 9:49 PM, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

BS I have both, the 20 kicks much less, less shot less kick, just that simple. I can shoot 100 round sporting clays with a 20 no problem, with a 12 I'm done after a box. I've never had any more trouble finding 20 ga shells than 12.

ok , i guess we all have our oppinions and depending on where you are availability ...ill stay with my thinking based on my experience , i have no issue with 300 sporting with my 12 in a day 

Archived