SASS Wire Forum

For 5 minutes - YOU are King/ Queen of SASS

Creeker, SASS #43022

Eleven 11 pages, anyone? This has been a good one!

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So do you Tennessee folks put jalapeños in your corn bread? Fresh or the pickled kind, if you do?

1 hour ago, Yul Lose said:

So do you Tennessee folks put jalapeños in your corn bread? Fresh or the pickled kind, if you do?

Yeah, sometimes when we get a little extra money we'll put jalapeños in there. Pickled if it's in winter. Fresh if it's in summer. You can tell when we're living high on the hog cause we put potatoes in or pinto beans. We don't usually invite folks over then so they don't think we're being uppity.

Oh yeah. Cowboy shootin'.

Almost strayed off track there.

Don’t let ol’ TW fool ya’! He’s a proponent of one of MY favorite ideas to improve SASS matches!!

Last month at Wartrace, he successfully promoted a real live cookout after the mid-month match!

Evabody brung somethin’!! There was burgers, hotdogs, ‘tater salad, beans, ‘n’ all sorts of stuff ta’ dress up yer sangwidge too!

We all had us a good time and folks was a talkin’ ‘n’ laughing ‘n’ cuttin’ up! 

What SASS’s really all about, OR SHOULD BE!!

HELLUVA GOOD IDEAR!!

Interesting reading, kind of.  It looks like SASS and most of the local clubs pretty much have the rules right to keep the maximum number of people happy.  Yes, there are a lot of tweeks that some people would like to see but most of those have also been countered by others that think the existing rules are OK.  Looks like maybe a couple of clubs need to enforce rules more consistant with the interpretation used by the majority, and maybe an overjealous TO here and there.  I think we should be proud and happy that SASS and most of the local clubs/ranges have listened to us and created a place where we can go shoot and have fun.  If you want to shoot fast you can do that, if you want to improve marksmanship you can shoot sharpshooter, if you want to run some cool older guns you can shoot Wild Bunch or Cody Dixon.  Dress up like Roy Rodgers or just pull on a pair of boots and a henley tee shirt and either way you're good to go.  I see no reason to believe that SASS and our local clubs would ever stop listening to their members and try to keep most of us happy.  There is no way an organization this size can be all things to all people, but they are trying, and I think, doing a good job of it. 

15 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

The bunkhouse boss makes cornbread pizza.

What you describe is called cornbread pie at deer camp.  Never heard of putting cream corn in the batter, but other than that, yeah, whatever you wanna throw in there.

2 hours ago, Stump Water said:

What you describe is called cornbread pie at deer camp.  Never heard of putting cream corn in the batter, but other than that, yeah, whatever you wanna throw in there.

Eleven pages of ??????????  and it is not even winter yet,  Stand by 

Settle Down, TJB!!  We’re swapping recipes here!!! <_<

Turn back the clock 25 or 30 years. Tap into the roots of SASS and make it about fun again.  

On second thought, Never mind. I have no say in this.

14 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

Turn back the clock 25 or 30 years. Tap into the roots of SASS and make it about fun again.  

Pat,

not attempting to be confrontational - legit question; I was around 25 years ago, what "roots" would you tap into to make it about fun again?

Separate question:

Do think the "game" changing is the reason for diminishing numbers?

or

Is it the major demographic of the game are aging out of the game?

29 minutes ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Pat,

not attempting to be confrontational - legit question; I was around 25 years ago, what "roots" would you tap into to make it about fun again?

Separate question:

or

I was not around 25 years ago, joined in late 2007. 
I wholeheartedly agree that our membership is rapidly aging out. 
Speaking for myself, regarding fun, riding a barrel mounted on springs (with my weight) isn’t fun as it brings memories of a torn medial collateral ligament the first time I tried in 2009. Or standing on a sheet of plywood mounted to bed springs while shooting brings to mind an older lady shooter in 2010 who lost balance and shot a hole in the plywood. MDQ and have never seen her again. Or riding an ore car then seeing a shorter shooter slam into the stopping tires because they couldn’t reach the brakes. Yeah good times!

How about carrying the gold?, or maybe having flyers that give the shooter a candy bar as a bonus? Maybe shotgunning those plastic pumpkins over a line for a couple cookies? Anyone remember snakes (cut up hose in a hula hoop that you knock out of the ring with shotgun) Wait… we still do those once in a while!

Thing is, an imaginative MD can make it fun AND a shooting match. I heard Creeker is one of those and someday I hope to attend one of his matches. 
Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

17 minutes ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Pat,

Separate question:

or

I am sure there are enough people shooting in SASS that remember what SASS matches were like years ago. 

Regarding separate questions:

1. I do think the game changing is the reason for diminishing numbers. It’s the reason I did not renew my membership.
It’s all about speed now. Light loads, fast stages for the sake of starting and ending matches quickly. 10-10-4 stages with close targets and the only difference between stages is the myriad of sweeps.

I do think aging has a lot to do with many leaving. It’s not my reason for leaving though. 

9 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

I am sure there are enough people shooting in SASS that remember what SASS matches were like years ago. 

I do remember what the matches were like - that's why I asked you the question.

I still pay my SASS dues; I still shoot.

I don't recall anything that was dramatically "better" back then.

And I remember a LOT of things that were worse.

I think an AWFUL lot of the "It was so much funner back then" are looking at their rose colored memories of theirselves being 25 years younger - not any particular aspect of the game that phased out.

23 minutes ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

I do remember what the matches were like - that's why I asked you the question.

I still pay my SASS dues; I still shoot.

I don't recall anything that was dramatically "better" back then.

And I remember a LOT of things that were worse.

I think an AWFUL lot of the "It was so much funner back then" are looking at their rose colored memories of theirselves being 25 years younger - not any particular aspect of the game that phased out.

Like I said before. I really have no say in this. I am no longer a SASS member. 

My input won’t do anything but irk people. It just ain’t worth it. 

8 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

Like I said before. I really have no say in this. I am no longer a SASS member. 

My input won’t do anything but irk people. It just ain’t worth it. 

Well how about enlightening some of us that weren't here 25 years ago then?

For what's it's worth, back in August my son and I drove 5 hours to shoot an "old school" match and it was a blast. I plan on doing it again next summer if they have the match. While we both loved it, we absolutely wouldn't want to do that on monthly basis and I wouldn't want more than one stage like those at a big match(state or above).  

I personally believe the biggest reason for the decline is the economy and sporadic availability of ammo/reloading components.

I've only been in SASS since 2016, so I don't know what I don't know. 

When it comes to growing SASS, I do think SASS has a huge marketing issue. 

Prior to 2016 I had never heard of SASS.  I owned multiple single action revolvers, a few lever actions (mostly rifle calibers), even a SASS legal SxS shotgun, on top of that I already reloaded.  Never heard of SASS.  I just so happened to be testing a black powder load at my local range when another shooter noticed I was shooting black powder and asked if I shot SASS.  He then invited me to the next monthly match, and I was hooked ever since.  

While the cost of components and an ageing population of our current members is a factor, I still think SASS has a marketing issue when it comes to drawing in new shooters.    

Declining numbers are probably a combination of a few things

already mentioned:

In no particular order........

1. economy.   Cost has sky rocketed since covid.

2. AGE and incurring health issues.  I'm still a perky old feller, but

I gotta watch my activities a little and not over do it.

3. with age, travel is a little harder for many.

4. death

I really don't buy into the belief that the game changing has

diminished that many shooters.   Remember, those 'old timers'

are the first to acknowledge that they basically enjoy the

friendship and commorodery and social environment.

If that is true,  then shooting at big and close targets would

not be a reason to leave.

And if you look at it from a reasonable perspective, our targets

aren't really that Big or Close.   It just seems that way because

of the old way of shooting smaller targets a little further away.

After all, how many of you actually shoot CLEAN all the time?

They can't be that big and that close if we still miss them.

Just my thinking.

..........Widder

31 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

They can't be that big and that close if we still miss them.

Just my thinking.

..........Widder

I can relate to those.

Clubs I shoot at has lost member due to health and age and some just moved from area due to new jobs.

The fun is still there as well as the comaradie. Its one reason we come early before a match.

I'm not as fast as I was. Past wins are still there in memories and those I use to beat are now slaughtering me in time. But, I enjoy shooting and trying to stay in the middle of the pack. 

Its also a great activity that keeps the mind sharp and keeps one from being a couch potato.

But as I said before, its not a good feeling when spotters call a miss and you see as you turn around a spotter seeing he changes from a closed fist (clean) and sees the spotter next to him/her hold a finger up and changes his/her call to a miss. No matter what one says, it comes out equal because maybe sometime you may have a miss and its called clean.  Its that match were a miss call can be a difference and in nearly 20 years I can only recall once were a miss wasn't called. One reason I would like to see more reactive type targets. It would also enhance the game having targets drop and one reason I like the Texas Star for rifle and pistols and using shotgun knockdowns for same.

On 11/8/2023 at 8:37 AM, Blackwater 53393 said:

Don’t let ol’ TW fool ya’! He’s a proponent of one of MY favorite ideas to improve SASS matches!!

Last month at Wartrace, he successfully promoted a real live cookout after the mid-month match!

Evabody brung somethin’!! There was burgers, hotdogs, ‘tater salad, beans, ‘n’ all sorts of stuff ta’ dress up yer sangwidge too!

We all had us a good time and folks was a talkin’ ‘n’ laughing ‘n’ cuttin’ up! 

What SASS’s really all about, OR SHOULD BE!!

HELLUVA GOOD IDEAR!!

You boys need to come South to Florida.

SW FLORIDA GUNSLINGERS have hot dogs and chips and most times some kinda desert included in your match fee. I also bring beer, so ...

C'mon down!

Howdy! Don’t know much about the rules cause I ain’t been shooting long, and even had take a break from it this year due to cost of ammo and fuel prices, so if someone knows why this rule is what it is, please let me know! I shoot my dad’s 1894 marlin carbine 38/357. First couple of matches I went to, the timer operator watching me warned me about having it on quarter cock on an empty chamber. My daddy always taught me to keep a gun with an exposed hammer on quarter or half cock in case you dropped it so it didn’t go off. Always thought that was safer than hammer down.

Also, after reading the discussion on the starting line, I would like to thank all the folks I shot with at the southeast regional last year. The theme was the movie a million ways to die in the west (a movie I haven’t seen) and after reading the little booklet about the stories and starting lines, I didn’t feel comfortable quoting it. No one got frustrated and Krazy Kajun told me I could choose my own lines (mostly Clint Eastwood quotes) so thanks again!

52 minutes ago, Long Colt Luke said:

Howdy! Don’t know much about the rules cause I ain’t been shooting long, and even had take a break from it this year due to cost of ammo and fuel prices, so if someone knows why this rule is what it is, please let me know! I shoot my dad’s 1894 marlin carbine 38/357. First couple of matches I went to, the timer operator watching me warned me about having it on quarter cock on an empty chamber. My daddy always taught me to keep a gun with an exposed hammer on quarter or half cock in case you dropped it so it didn’t go off. Always thought that was safer than hammer down.

Much like having the hammer on a revolver down on an empty chamber is the safest way to carry it, the hammer down on an empty rifle chamber is safest.  No matter what happens, the empty chamber precludes any accidental discharge.

Just now, Blackwater 53393 said:

Much like having the hammer on a revolver down on an empty chamber is the safest way to carry it, the hammer down on an empty rifle chamber is safest.  No matter what happens, the empty chamber precludes any accidental discharge.

Completely agree on the empty chamber deal, just curious why a quarter cock or safety cock on an empty chamber ain’t safe. I can’t pull the trigger on my marlin unless the hammer is all the way back. Thank you for the help though. Is that pistol still doing good for you?

Only had it out once!  Worked fine!

6 hours ago, Long Colt Luke said:

In a hunting scenario, having a lever gun with a loaded chamber and the hammer resting on half cock is considered a "safe" method.  In SASS we need one rule that works across the board for all actions, hammer down on an empty chamber is safe for everything, the hammer not fully down is a good indicator that something might have gone wrong at the loading table.  Everything aside habitually leaving a gun with an exposed hammer on half cock risks breaking the tip of your sear should the hammer get hit or dropped.  A broken sear is obviously preferable to a negligent discharge but if the chamber is already empty you gain nothing by resting the hammer in the half cock notch.

Thank you, never even knew you could break a sear from that. Coming from a hunting background I was a little thrown at first, but I have gotten used to the hammer down method. Thanks again for the information.

Archived