SASS Wire Forum

Canada wildfires

Hey could you guys put those fires out please? They’re canceling baseball games down here!:P

They even canceled the NBA finals game last night and it’s inside!! Crazy :blink:

It's got me a little nervous and watchful.

I'm right beside a forest and brush area, designated as The South Nation Wet Lands, and I have the road and a small creek between the house and the bush, so, while I have the front and rear hoses connected and ready to go, in an abundance of caution, we should be OK.

The smoke from one fire in the area was a little thick yesterday, but thinner today. 

IMG_3055.JPG

IMG_3056.JPG

We have been battling the fires for some time now and crews are tired.

The Army has sent in help and help has arrived from the US, Australia and New Zealand, South Africa and elsewhere.

Thanks for the help.

My OP was in jest, I’m not blaming anyone except whoever started these fires.

Hope you’re safe Cold Lake Kid !!

15 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

My OP was in jest, I’m not blaming anyone except whoever started these fires.

Hope you’re safe Cold Lake Kid !!

Oh, I wasn't taking issue with the OP.  Gallows humor has it's place.

2 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I hope you and yours are safe @Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474

It’s a bit hazy here. It’s kinda cooler too, which doesn’t bother me a bit. 

I took these this morning around 08:00. 

IMG_6044.thumb.jpeg.f3c70f5dc6827a6cde1bc9ded8da414b.jpeg

IMG_6045.thumb.jpeg.f2587fe56d675b6d86ac863159c9685a.jpeg

Similar to here this morning. 

It has been clear here today, after a couple of bad, smoky days. 

I was coughing pretty good yesterday. We had small shower that helped clear things a bit and there is some rain predicted for next week that should help.

We have it pretty good around here, compared with the west. They really need rain. 

We’re seeing remnants of the smoke here in middle Tennessee, as far south as Nashville!!

I'm concerned about our range and our Cowboy range outside Ottawa, near the village of Cheney.

There is no water pumping equipment other than some solar and propane powered pumps for the toilet system.

Our club house, storage sheds, wagons, generators and a host of other equipment is right beside a large pine forest.

IMG_3439.JPG

2 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

I'm concerned about our range and our Cowboy range outside Ottawa, near the village of Cheney.

There is no water pumping equipment other than some solar and propane powered pumps for the toilet system.

Our club house, storage sheds, wagons, generators and a host of other equipment is right beside a large pine forest.

IMG_3439.JPG

There is a product called Thermogel worth searching.

4 hours ago, PowderRiverCowboy said:

Lol it’s funny we go through weeks of it , fire in California, Montana and Canada don’t see sun for weeks and nothing .

East coast babies get a couple days and it’s big deal 

IMG_1746.jpeg

Thanks for the tip.

The buildings all  have metal roofs, so that MAY help a bit.

I want to get the parking lot behind the buildings enlarged and cut some of those trees down. 

Just now, Oak Ridge Regulator said:

We’re not to worried about the smoke here in Vt we have been dealing with everyone’s pollution west of new York for close to 200 years, enough so it’s killed trees on most of our mountains and changed the ph of the rain that falls on our heads it’s just the fact that usually we don’t see it

19 minutes ago, Marshal Dan Troop 70448 said:

What a crock of horse poopy, wildfires have been going on thousands of years! It’s mainly bad forest management and dry conditions coupled by idiots that started the fires whether intentionally or accidentally! 

3 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Both abbreviate "CA."

Similar population numbers, too.

But "Canada" still deserves a capital "C..." despite being "ruled" by one who appears to be Emperor Gavin's cousin.  ;)

Edit:  Been to Canada a couple times.  Real nice folks!  :)

This is the regular summer atmosphere in northern CA.
Part of the "green" thing is remembering that Nature designed it to Burn.
There are species of pine trees that will not germinate without a forest fire.

Last season, I bought two cases of MERV-13 air filters in 20x20 inch size.
These are attached to Lakewood box fans from Walmart and filter the in-the-house air during the smoke season.
They are highly effective and turn black quickly with only modest run time hours.

It is probably too late (again) to buy a good 3M N95 can respirator for those needing to completely avoid the smoke particles.
We hit 500+ on the AQI scale many times last year.
(So far) summer here has been unseasonably cool.  We are enjoying that.  A lot.

18 hours ago, Marshal Dan Troop 70448 said:

Since it is readily apparent that they are unable to dazzle us with their journalistic brilliance, it appears that they are determined to try to baffle us with BULL$#it!!!

21 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Thanks for the tip.

The buildings all  have metal roofs, so that MAY help a bit.

I want to get the parking lot behind the buildings enlarged and cut some of those trees down. 

Most important thing you can do is make sure that all vents are covered with fine metal screen mesh. Like what you would use for window screen.  Read a study several years ago that said the main reason buildings burn is that flying embers gain entry via attic and soffit vents. You don't have any on your range, but dog and cat doors were also a significant point of entry.  The winds that accompany large fires carry burning embers. When these winds hit a vertical surface they are redirected upwards causing them to enter building via ventilation vents in he soffits and gaps between the walls and the roof overhang.

We've not had significant rain in about 6 weeks.  Thunderstorms pop up but pass us by.  Grass is not growing.  Pond is getting low.  Humidity in the 20s in the afternoon.  They've not issued no burn warnings yet but wind has been low.  1MPH and 22% humidity now.  That's not close to normal. 

Archived