SASS Wire Forum

An internet question about food storage

On the internet many folk seem to wet themselves over the possibility of getting sick about improperly stored food.

there was a question that I answered, I share the response here.

How come my friend always eats food that’s been left out of the fridge (rice, cooked meat, etc.) overnight and has never gotten (noticeably) sick? He’s done this for years, how is he not always sick?

my response:

The SERVSAFE guidelines are there because you might get sick, not because you will get sick. Remember, people lived for millennia without refrigerators and the somehow lived to be old enough to raise children and fight wars.

I know folks who absolutely lose it over me eating cold fried chicken that was prepared at breakfast and served.  I take it with me and eat it in the afternoon for my late snack or for a cold supper on the road!!

I tell ‘em that their ancestors took cold fried chicken on picnics for hundreds of years and that the human race has survived and flourished!!

Many of them approach apoplexy when I show them a smokehouse and bacon, sausage, and hams hanging in the unrefrigerated open air!!

I can't even begin to count the number of "dashboard dinners/lunches" that I've eaten over 40+ years of being in the construction industry. Put it on the dashboard in the morning, hot by noon.

2 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

I can't even begin to count the number of "dashboard dinners/lunches" that I've eaten over 40+ years of being in the construction industry. Put it on the dashboard in the morning, hot by noon.

+1 :) can't beat beef stew heated on the manifold during a cold winter day at work!:rolleyes:

Quite a bit of canned Chef Boy R Dee mystery food, or soup.:P  When my buddy was driving over the road, he had pix of pretty slick meals cooked on the engine. Got some odd looks from cage drivers when he'd pop the hood to stir or turn the entre'!!! 

Not exactly on point.  When were deployed to Saudi Arabia for desert storm, the empty aluminum aircraft pallets sat out in the sun.  Drop your MRE entre' on a pallet and have a hot meal in 15 minutes.  Nothing like a good, Hot, Tuna Noodle Casserole!!  

The more we isolate ourselves from germs, the more susceptible we become to them when we are exposed. Kinda like building up a resistance. If you live in a sterile environment for a few years, what will one little germ do to you?

Sam Sackett 

Just now, Sam Sackett said:

The more we isolate ourselves from germs, the more susceptible we become to them when we are exposed. Kinda like building up a resistance. If you live in a sterile environment for a few years, what will one little germ do to you?

Sam Sackett 

George Carlin once said we should eat one pound of dirt a year to keep our immune system in good order! Funny but maybe he wasn’t too far off! :lol:

There’s a lot of truth in the old adage “You’ve gotta’ eat a peck of dirt before you die!”

My dad used to say that any time someone dropped a particularly tasty morsel!

I used to laugh at that when he said it, but my old racing partner had a mother who was an RN when he was a child.  She kept him scrubbed and practically sterile!!  He was sick all the time.  She finally took him to a pediatrician who was old and wise.

The doctor examined him closely and ran some tests. He called Bill’s mama into the room where he had the boy sitting on the exam table. He looked her square in the eye and told her, “Woman! You’re gonna hafta put that boy on the ground ‘n’ let him eat some dirt or he’s gonna DIE!”

2 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

+1 :) can't beat beef stew heated on the manifold during a cold winter day at work!:rolleyes:

You'd be amazed at the number of canned and cooked but not refrigerated meal I've eaten hot courtesy of a  deuce and a half exhaust manifold and the several dozen that were heated over a rolled string of C-4 or cans of  surplus "canned heat" at a nickel a can from the Boy Scout store in the basement of our local library.

I'll make a skillet of some sort of meat, potatoes, and eggs all scrambled together in the morning, have breakfast from it, put a lid on it, and nibble on it for lunch and dinner.

Pizza will stay out overnight and be breakfast in the morning.

A stick of butter gets put in a butter dish that stays on the counter.

Mustard and catsup, with a couple of exceptions, don't go into the fridge.  

31 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

George Carlin once said we should eat one pound of dirt a year to keep our immune system in good order! Funny but maybe he wasn’t too far off! :lol:

My Mother was an Registered Nurse with a BS in Nursing from the University of Rochester, NY, class of 1939. She always said every child should eat a tablespoon of dirt every day. Not far off from George Carlin.

CJ

When grandpa turned 100 a city news reporter asked grandpa what he attributed to his long life.  Grandpa said he’d reckoned it was the teaspoon of black powder he took with breakfast every morning.  When grandpa die at 104 years of age he didn’t leave much behind except a fifty foot crater where the crematorium once stood.  

As Jim celebrated his hundredth birthday he was asked to what did he attribute his long life. “Abstinence from alcohol.” He replied. Just then loud noises were heard from the kitchen. “What is that.” He was asked. “My older brother coming home drunk” was the reply.

On 6/4/2023 at 8:46 PM, Sam Sackett said:

Sam Sackett 

I have known a few immigrants who came here for a chance at a better life. Frequently the first job a woman can get is as a nanny. A young Russian doctor couple came here and after getting their licenses got jobs in a Brooklyn hospital, also had a baby and hired Svitlana to be his nanny. Instructions for his bath were “if you touch his pp after you have washed it you must wash it again”. I predict this kid will have many childhood illnesses.

It was.never the germs or bacteria that bother me if something was left out. It was mostly the taste that bothered me something just don't taste good as left overs. I have also eaten enough of those non food group where I don't worry about getting sick.

I just told my wife and daughter the other day about how to tell if your pizza is really good, it is good if it has sat out on the counter all night and it taste even better cold

OMG!!!!  This is some great stuff from you folks!!!  I always enjoyed my mom's home made Chili or Italian tomato pasta sauce the next day than when it was freshly made.     

4 minutes ago, Lone Spur Jake SASS #7728 said:

OMG!!!!  This is some great stuff from you folks!!!  I always enjoyed my mom's home made Chili or Italian tomato pasta sauce the next day than when it was freshly made.     

Soups, stews, and sauces are often better the next day.

there was a diner sign:

SOUP

Today’s.      25¢

Yesterday’s 50¢

Once I have yoked a turnip green from my garden and ate some of it raw and a friend who was nurse immediately warned me of all the germs I was getting from the dirt still on the plant.  He mentioned I could get seriously sick from it.

I replied i have ate dirt in different countries and several states while crawling in it as a soldier and made it this far with no symptoms.  He kept insisting I clean it and cook it first.  

Btw dirt at Fort Carson Colorado tasted worse than most other places.  

Archived