SASS Wire Forum

CAS Shotgun

Wyoma

If you had an old Winchester Model 97 with a 30" barrel and were planning on using it in CAS would you shorten the barrel?

3 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

You should be more concerned about the chamber length. 

OLG 

This +

I'd cut it unless it is a collector item (trap, black diamond, etc). Outside of CAS, there is no real collector value for run of the mill 97's. Cutting it will actually make it more valuable to a CAS shooter as they won't have to pay someone to cut it down.

I have two with short barrels and two with long barrels. Not afraid to use the long barrel ones for CAS...but some stages you have to be more careful with a long barrel. The long barrels are great for cowboy clays though.

You could purchase a shorter barrel, install a take down extension, adjusting sleeve, lock and screw and then you can switch back and forth simply by performing the take down function.

Of course this won't work on a solid frame, here you would just change the barrel.

Buy a sxs with two sets of barrels. Much easier to switch back and forth.

I'm debating the same thing right now. As it cannot use steel shot, they are only useful for CAS or home defense. I just hate chopping a nice one. The one I'm looking at has had the bolt smoothed so it doesn't cut my oversize paw.

1 hour ago, DeaconKC said:

I'm debating the same thing right now. As it cannot use steel shot, they are only useful for CAS or home defense. I just hate chopping a nice one. The one I'm looking at has had the bolt smoothed so it doesn't cut my oversize paw.

I don't know the laws in AR, but in TN you can do all kinds of hunting with lead shot; just not waterfowl.  I use my SASS SXS for squirrel and rabbit hunting often; no real problem with the Stoeger with IC and M chokes, but the TTN with cylinder bore requires to get really close to those tree rates.  I often wish it had longer barrels with choke.

7 hours ago, Wyoma said:

If you had an old Winchester Model 97 with a 30" barrel and were planning on using it in CAS would you shorten the barrel?

Would I?

Yes, immediately.

Should you?

That's up to you.

I am a firm believer that it is important to use "optimized" tools or equipment to achieve the best results. 

A 97, in our game, under most conditions, is a better optimized tool with a shorter barrel (I like about 20", others will debate 18.5 to 22).

It swings quicker, is more maneuverable around and thru doorways and windows.

A shorter barrel moves the center of balance towards the shooter making it easier to hold on the shoulder while loading.

For our game, a shorter barrel has more benefits than a longer one.

But for some, a 97 is not just a tool or piece of equipment.

It is a piece of heritage or an antique.

For some that history may outweigh the desire to optimize.

If you never shoot thru windows or doorways - perhaps maneuvering is of lesser importance.

I would cut mine (and have cut many) - should you cut yours is a different question.

9 minutes ago, Diamond Jake said:

I don't know the laws in AR, but in TN you can do all kinds of hunting with lead shot; just not waterfowl.  I use my SASS SXS for squirrel and rabbit hunting often; no real problem with the Stoeger with IC and M chokes, but the TTN with cylinder bore requires to get really close to those tree rates.  I often wish it had longer barrels with choke.

Jake, I don't hunt anymore and if I need to I have a nice 20 Gauge SxS or can swap out barrels for my 870. SO this would be strictly for CAS or WB.

7 hours ago, Wyoma said:

Already have. I acquired a nice 1957 takedown edition back in 2004 and promptly chopped off 8 in. for CAS.

Probably should have bought another shorter barrel, but I did it so...

Have used that '97 exclusively ever since with no action work and nary a problem. (just jinxed myself, didn't I?)

I would like to have a solid frame '97 though, orig or import, I don't care. Yes, short barrel.

Please, don't cut it.   Long barrels are cool and a lot of fun.   Plus, there's no going back.   There are plenty out there with short barrels, if that's what you want, get one of those.   Don't cut an existing long one.

I started with a 20" 97, and I did okay with it.  I wanted to get a long barreled one just to have one.  Found a 30" full choke 97, and after trying one time, it became my regular main match shotgun.    On the one hand, I found the long barrel to just be fun and it generated a lotta funny comments.   On the other hand, I found that with the longer barrel I hardly ever miss the SG targets anymore.  That's a big plus.

I only shoot long barrels on revolvers, rifles and shotguns. Once in awhile I have to step back from props but not that often. Drawing the revolvers takes a bit longer and with the 24” rifle barrels it does travel farther when shooting targets farther apart from each other. No I am not one to cut a barrel and still enjoy our game. I want a 30” Winchester rifle but have not found one I can afford yet. It is your gun so do what works better for you. Long guns are fun! Diamond Curly

9 hours ago, Outlaw Gambler said:

You could purchase a shorter barrel, install a take down extension, adjusting sleeve, lock and screw and then you can switch back and forth simply by performing the take down function.

Of course this won't work on a solid frame, here you would just change the barrel.

This used to be a non starter as take down extensions were non-existent.  Now Numrich has them for about $90.  But if you were to purchase all of the parts required you'd be very close to the price of another 97

I got one 97 that is rooouuugh to look at.  The barrel got cut to 19".

I got a much better one with the original 29" barrel that will not be cut.  Would be good for dove, squirrel, bunnies or informal clays.

I got a spare 22" barrel that is usually on this nicer gun.

Haven't seen it in person yet but all the pics say it's in superb shape.  1931.  I guess it made it 90 years without anyone harming it, so I don't think I will.

Archived