SASS Wire Forum

Vikings Fought Dirty

Subdeacon Joe

Crafty bunch aren't we??   Ever wonder why there are so many attractive Norse women?    Vikings did not bring home ugly ones.   LOL      GW

Bottomliners Comic Strip for February 08, 2021
Well poop... this was s'posed to be in the "Cartoon" thread.  :huh:  :rolleyes:

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck."

If they bathed more often, took care of their grooming, etc... wouldn't be more accurate to say they fought clean?

I still hold to the theory that the whole Viking Age was caused by Scandinavian cuisine. 

They weren't commerce raiding or looking for lands to colonize.  The Vikings were just looking for a meal that was fitting to eat.  If you had to live on stuff like lutefisk and hakarl, even English food could look good. 

I remember a passage in James Clavell's novel "Shogun" in which the English sailors were very impressed with Japanese women because they did not have fleas.  I guess the Vikings bathed their English captives pretty quickly.

4 hours ago, DocWard said:

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck."

If they bathed more often, took care of their grooming, etc... wouldn't be more accurate to say they fought clean?

My definition of a "fair fight"  Six or seven of my friends hold the other guy down and I beat hell out of him and then shoot him a few times.

We bathe more often now... But, we still fight dirty.

HJVFOTO-C-HVKHRS1-3AVATAR.jpg.7e12210f0f975d6f644f447b553ef388.jpg

HJVFOTO-C-HVKHRS-88.thumb.jpg.ca604a075c3b18fc77e84d7bd8ef8f12.jpg

On 2/15/2021 at 8:33 AM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Bathed every Saturday?? Wow, pretty clean for back then!:P

They got away with it because they were pagans.

The whole 'Cleanliness is next to Godliness' thing didn't come into being until centuries later.  During that time, regular bathing was considered impious- not to mention unhealthy. 

I've read about an abbess from the era that bragged that the only part of her body that had been washed since she'd taken her vows was her fingertips.

47 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

I've read about an abbess from the era that bragged that the only part of her body that had been washed since she'd taken her vows was her fingertips.

Enforced celibacy.

On 2/15/2021 at 9:18 AM, J-BAR #18287 said:

I remember a passage in James Clavell's novel "Shogun" in which the English sailors were very impressed with Japanese women because they did not have fleas.  I guess the Vikings bathed their English captives pretty quickly.

Prolly before they got in a boat with 'em!

JHC what dat smell meme - Imgflip

1 hour ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I read that Marines at Fort McHenry in the War of 1812 [US 1812, not Russian] bathed every two weeks because bathing was considered to be unhealthy.

............ that being the case; ..... why'd they make them bathe so regularly ?

:huh:

On 2/16/2021 at 6:06 AM, Whiskey Business said:

Good to see your back pard.

Bottles, give this man the best on my tab.

Yeah, wait till you see my front, you might change your mind. BaaHaaHaaHaa!!!

Big (What's got him a bigger front than Back) Jake #1001

Archived