SASS Wire Forum

Why don't they just say "THERE AIN'T NONE"?

Alpo

I do a search on German restaurants in my town. The name of two pop up. I look at them, and think to myself, "I don't recognize those street names". I pop them up on the map. They are in Tampa. That's 350 miles away.

So I try again, ignoring the map . Yelp. The 10 best German restaurants in my town. They only list four, and none of them are even in this county, let alone in this town. The closest is 75 miles away.

Obviously there are no German restaurants in my town. Why can't they just say that? Are there really people that would drive 75 miles to go to a restaurant?

75 miles one way for a quality meal at a good restaurant? Done it before, so yeah I have, probably not that uncommon especially with rural people where any meal is 20 or 30 miles in any direction. 75 miles is a bit far for average for most folks though. As per the search engines they seem to always want to report something even if it is wrong. 

What’s a restaurant? The places I liked have all been driven out of business by our covid nazi governor.

I think, now I may be wrong about this, that searches for anything like that replace the words “my town”, “my area”, “my location”, “near me” with “nearest me”...or something like that in the search software. 

Someone told me this a while ago when I asked a similar question at work. 

Been known to drive or ride a hundred miles to get a meal with certain friends!!  There’s a place in Kentucky with a famous pork chop meal and another in southeast middle Tennessee that a bunch of us cowboys are known to frequent that immediately come to mind.

45 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Been known to drive or ride a hundred miles to get a meal with certain friends!!  There’s a place in Kentucky with a famous pork chop meal and another in southeast middle Tennessee that a bunch of us cowboys are known to frequent that immediately come to mind.

A little far but I really like Patti's in Grand River, Land between the lakes.

In all of Houston, Texas, there is only one German restaurant.  Thankfully, it’s close by and the food is pretty good.

Tomball, Texas, is about 12 miles north of my house was a German community and has an Oktoberfest each year, except this one, but they have no German restaurants.  Slim pickin’s down here.

41 minutes ago, SOUTH-PACIFIC,SASS #59402 said:

ALPO YOU HAVE TO BE SPECIFIC PANAMA CITY OR PANAMA CITY BEACH FLORIDA

I did both. When I asked for Panama City I got listings for Destin, Fort Walton, and Niceville. When I asked for Panama City Beach it told me about the Hofbrau Munchen, in Pier Park. But when I clicked on the Hofbrau I got a notice that said that they were closed permanently.

I've been to Germany twice for the military.  I'll tell you one thing:  Those Germans know how to eat!  Their food is to die for.

My wife is of German and Belgian heritage.  If you've been paying attention, you know I'm more Scottish than William Wallace.  Given that haggis was my peoples' contribution to international cuisine, I always tell her, "My people know how to dress.  Your people know how to eat."

2 hours ago, Noz said:

A little far but I really like Patti's in Grand River, Land between the lakes.

When they re-open, it's gonna' be me 'n' you and the ladies!!  Pork chops and mac 'n' cheese!!

11 hours ago, Ozark Huckleberry said:

I just supposed it's because the programmers have had some experience with pregnant wives' cravings.

Oh my God. Every ice cream place in northern Indiana!

10 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Longest ride for lunch was 820 miles round trip! 

Our club put on a bunch of 500+ mile lunch rides one year after I had done a few on my own and convinced others that it would be fun. Myself and another member split the ride leader duties and we usually had 8 - 12 riders willing to ride that far in a day.:D

This was the patch that a rider received if he/she completed 10 of the 12 rides:

image.png.b88a9fdd30c1692e84be0b4a114f9a02.png

2 hours ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

Longest ride for lunch was 820 miles round trip! 

Our club put on a bunch of 500+ mile lunch rides one year after I had done a few on my own and convinced others that it would be fun. Myself and another member split the ride leader duties and we usually had 8 - 12 riders willing to ride that far in a day.:D

This was the patch that a rider received if he/she completed 10 of the 12 rides:

image.png.b88a9fdd30c1692e84be0b4a114f9a02.png

Many of our rides were like that! A dedicated few ever went more than once or twice.  We often restricted our group to no more than six, and no patches.  Nothing against patch holders, we just didn’t want the attention!

Our first trip with Lockjaw, my little rat rod, Schoolmarm and I drove up to Patty’s in eastern KY for lunch with friends who all rode their motorcycles. We took all backroads and made a day of it! Around 300 miles altogether.

Archived