SASS Wire Forum

Jeanie and I went to the Sams Club in Johnson City today.  Among other things, they were sold out of toilet paper.

As Jeanie was putting our cart in the cart rack a man asked her: "Do you like Angel Soft?"  He was selling (scalping) Angel Soft toilet paper out of the back of his pickup for $5.00 for a package of four rolls.  We didn't buy any but I wonder how many packages he sold there in the Sams Club parking lot and what his markup is.

Duffield

I have been trying to trade this for a 2020 Toyota Camry. N.I.B. Never been open

TP.jpg

There wasn't always Charmin or Great Northern TP. Many rural people didn't have catalogs to waste either. They had rags and they washed them by hand....that's right, you've heard the term....ass rags.....it's true. 

I hope it never comes to that but if it does...........

21 hours ago, Duffield, SASS #23454 said:

Jeanie and I went to the Sams Club in Johnson City today.  Among other things, they were sold out of toilet paper.

As Jeanie was putting our cart in the cart rack a man asked her: "Do you like Angel Soft?"  He was selling (scalping) Angel Soft toilet paper out of the back of his pickup for $5.00 for a package of four rolls.  We didn't buy any but I wonder how many packages he sold there in the Sams Club parking lot and what his markup is.

Duffield

Most jurisdictions have price gouging laws. I woulda dropped a dime on that POS. :angry:

wow2.jpg

I believe it was at a Gorman-Rupp seminar ... there was a discussion of the difference between American sewage pumps and European sewage pumps.
The rep said Europeans commonly use cloth instead of toilet paper and so European sewage pumps have special alloys, hardened impeller plates and very, VERY sharp cutter impellers -- they are "cutter pumps" and designed to handle this particular payload.

American sewage pumps are not so designed; the cloth goods that do get flushed, end up as shredded debris wrapped around impellers and shafts, and are known by profane and not repeatable in polite company names.

We're already seeing people buying up napkins and paper towels as substitutes for toilet tissue: this will not have any great impact on our municipal sewage treatment plant, though I predict it will enrich the pocketbooks of local plumbers, clearing householders' lines of the stuff (by the way, flushable wipes aren't, please don't!) -- my concern is for long term stupidity, people continuing to panic buy the stuff, folks who are honestly without will turn to cloth as an alternative and we'll have considerably more maintenance as a result!

On the other hand I'm just a poor dumb hillbilly, what do I know, eh?

There was a run on ammo and guns today at the cabelas in hamond Indiana. All 9mm sold out. Shotgun shells lined many cart,along with a lot of others calibers. There’s no wait for gun sales in indiana

12 hours ago, Chicago kidd said:

There was a run on ammo and guns today at the cabelas in hamond Indiana. All 9mm sold out. Shotgun shells lined many cart,along with a lot of others calibers. There’s no wait for gun sales in indiana

And the rest rooms had no toilet paper.

12 hours ago, Chicago kidd said:

I was at the Bass Pro Shop in Denver yesterday, looked at the ammo selection. A few boxes of 10mm, a few of .45, nothing else on the handgun shelves. 

20200314_144256.jpg

20200314_144345.jpg

8 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Image may contain: possible text that says 'ISOLATED FROM SOCIETY, NO SPORTS, TOILET PAPER HOARDING, NOTHING BUT CANNED & POWDERED FOOD, WE TRAINED FOR THIS VIRUS'

A bit tricky to quarantine anybody.

The very cheapest TP in the rest of the world is brown, the roll is coreless and has the texture of crepe paper.

back in the mid 70s, a friend of mine got a job offer to run the UN Computing Center for the study of crops in the semi-arid tropics in Hyderabad, India. The job came with a house and seven servants. Jim and Ellie asked around about how to best use their 3000# moving allowance. No one answer was TP.

18 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Hey, Indians, the ones in Asia, used their left hand, some still do.

The Arab world and a good portion of Asia uses left hands - they are generally washable and eco friendly.

STL Suomi

Archived