SASS Wire Forum

Widder, and other .32 H&R mag shooters...

Three Foot Johnson

@Widder, SASS #59054, and others - what are you loading .32 H&R mag with? These things are potent little buggers - even with minimum loads of Unique, Red Dot, Clays, and Trail Boss, I'm getting barely legal velocities, like 950+ fps with a 92 grain Lee SWC TC, Starline brass, and F100 primers. Recoil isn't a problem, of course, but dang, they don't need to be going that fast. :blink:

Right at 2.4 gr of Clays, Clay Dot, Red Dot, Promo. 78 gr to 115 gr

6 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I don't shoot them but my wife does.  We use Starline brass, Federal primers, 100 grain bullets with 2.3 of Clays.  Works fine. 

2.4 Clays is giving me right at 900 fps across the Chrony from the Single Six's, but Unique gives better groups. A minimum, 70% load of Trail boss is finally getting down around the mid-800 fps range, but ignition sounds erratic and extreme spread and standard deviation are increasing. Maybe I'll start experimenting with W231, Bullseye, and Titegroup.

I load 2 grs. Clays,  95 gr lead bullet with a small pistol mag. Federal primers.  My wife shoot them in her S/S Single Six's just fine.

I’ve used 2 grs. of Win 244. It’s made for pistol using coated bullets. Clean shooting and great metering. Also used  2.1 grains of red dot  with great success. Both with 78 coated and lead 88 grain bullets. Knocked down shotgun targets, and mild recoil.

1 hour ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

2.4 Clays is giving me right at 900 fps across the Chrony from the Single Six's, but Unique gives better groups. A minimum, 70% load of Trail boss is finally getting down around the mid-800 fps range, but ignition sounds erratic and extreme spread and standard deviation are increasing. Maybe I'll start experimenting with W231, Bullseye, and Titegroup.

I suspect 2.3 will get you around 850 or so out of Single Six's.  I tried 2.1, but was getting backed out primers that were jamming the gun.  2.2 solved that, but I bumped it to 2.3 just to be sure. 

I hadn't thought much about groups. 

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Since you asked-Look at IMR 4227 data

OLG 

I don't even see it listed in IMR's manual. The only published load I see is this -

32HRmagLoad.jpg

Three Foot, and others:

My 'Cowboy' loads for the .32 H&R are based on near MAXIMUM velocities, both for the pistols

and my Marlin rifle.    I'm not sure you want that info but if you or any of the Wire Pards

want it, I will be glad to share.

I got good load data for Clean Shot, Red Dot, Bullseye, Tightgroup, Unique, Universal Clays, and probably

a couple others.

My favorites with bullets weights from 73 to 100 grains are:

Clean Shot, Red Dot, Bullseye and Tightgroup.

..........Widder

For my wife, I load 2.3gn Titegroup and 78gn RNFP from Badman Bullets.  Velocity hovers around 900 and PF is about 10% above minimum.   She hasn't had problems knocking down target plates.  

Ruger 32 H&R Single Six with 4 5/8" barrels.   2.5 grains Promo/Red Dot with a 78 grain bullet.  About 830 FPS which meets the required power factor easily.  Because of the velocity, they bang the targets hard enough so spotters don't have an issue hearing them.  I'm very happy with the load.

I use a similar load with Red Dot/Promo for knockdowns.  The 78 grains work for most everything, including KDs, but I just like the bigger bang of the 100s making the KDs go down faster.

I don't have a .32 H&R mag rifle, so these will be strictly pistol loads for the time being. Not near as many pistol knockdowns - at least around here anyway.

I just *accidently* won a Marlin .25-20 though...  :lol:

21 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

@Widder, SASS #59054, and others - what are you loading .32 H&R mag with? These things are potent little buggers - even with minimum loads of Unique, Red Dot, Clays, and Trail Boss, I'm getting barely legal velocities, like 950+ fps with a 92 grain Lee SWC TC, Starline brass, and F100 primers. Recoil isn't a problem, of course, but dang, they don't need to be going that fast. :blink:

The 1999 version of the Alliant reloading data indicates much lower weight loads than current data and also in bullet weights closer to your 92 gr. You mention a "minimum" that may be a lot higher than really needed. However, if focusing on spotters hearing hits and your taking knockdowns, you may be stuck with shooting close to the legal limit of 1000 fps.

Old Alliant data:

90 LWC (target):

Fed 100:

Min COL 1.1:

Barrel length 5:

Bullseye - 2.2 gr, 800 fps, 9500 psi

Red Dot - 2.1 gr, 800 fps, 9400 psi

Green Dot - 2.2 gr, 805 fps, 9600 psi

Unique - 2.5 gr, 800 fps, 8400 psi

Herco - 2.8 gr, 805 fps, 8500 psi

Blue Dot - 3.7 gr, 805 fps, 7800 psi

On 3/11/2020 at 3:09 PM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Since you asked-Look at IMR 4227 data

OLG 

4227 either IMR or Hodgon are good ones that I use.  But, I also use unique because the powder load quantity is just about 50% less so the powder last twice as long.  Also, when you look at the load data in the book, start at 10% less and adjust from there.  I use 100 gr coated bullets as well.

Charlie

Might be obvious but wadcutter data doesn't translate to other bullet profiles. Due to the different OALs case volume is significantly different.

83 grain Wadcutter OAL 1.095 

85 grain HP OAL 1.290

4 hours ago, Cusz M. Dutch SASS Life 55326 said:

Do try and get close to that 1000 with the heavy 100 grain slugs.    I stopped using this great round because of spotters not doing their job and calling misses.

I had to load my wife's .32s up to the max for the same reason - spotters were calling hits as misses.  Cap 'n ball shooters with .36  caliber guns report the same problem.  Locally we are painting targets after every shooter so these bad calls can be challenged.

I've never had that problem with spotters missing the bang of the 78 grain bullets going at 850 FPS.  The only time I've had problems, and that was with 38 specials, were dead targets with soft 105 bullets.  If the target is firmly attached to the stand, it can be a very dull thud that is hard to hear with earplugs.   All of the targets around here are free hanging and they ring nicely.  Me, Miss Jewel, Misther Completely and JM Brown all shoot 32's with around 80 grain bullets and don't have any issues.

There are 115 & 120 gr cast bullets available - just sayin .....

4 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

I have a Lee 120 grain RN mold - 311-119-1R. Long discontinued, I think. 

That should work. I went to 115 gr - heavier than quite a few .38 shooters use. No problems with hits being called or KDs where I shoot.

Archived