SASS Wire Forum

Prayer Posse - Velvet Glove

Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217

01/18/2020 35 minutes ago.

"Michele has had such a good day today that I could not wait to share it with you. I was greeted with a smile this morning and a hand reaching for mine. After a few minutes, I told her today was her spa day which got me a smile. I trimmed her toe nails, gave her feet a good scrub with a facial scrub powder, then used a moisturizing cream on her feet, legs, hands, arms, and face. You should have seen the smile when I was rubbing those feet! After this I took her hair down, removed all the tangles and then gave it a good washing. She even tried to assist me. It must of felt good. Last week one of my god daughters taught me how to put her hair in a bun so I did that as well. I handed her glasses to her and she put them on herself. I asked her to grab my hand which she did, I asked her to touch my face which she did. She was very content stroking my beard. I told her she was married to an old man and I got an eye roll from that. I asked her if she wanted me to brush her teeth and when I started the brush toward her mouth, she grabbed my arm and pushed it away. I tried two more times and got the same result. I then asked do you want to brush your teeth. She took the swab from me and started brushing her teeth. After that she could not stop looking at me and touching me, my hands, shoulders, and especially my face. She rubbed on my face and beard till she fell fast asleep. She is resting quite comfortably now. I am so thankful that the good lord blessed me with a good day. Prayers are continuing to work, I can't thank you enough. God bless."

:wub: 

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

01/19/2020 pm Michele is showing great improvement.

"Michele had another good day. I was greeted with a smile and hand grab. I started her day with placing moisturizer on her hands and feet. I handed her her glasses and she immediately placed them on her face. Next I started reading her cards to her. The next thing I know, she removes the card from my hand and places it in front of her face. She studies the front of the card intently and then she opens it up. As I watch her,... I realize she is reading the card! She finishes that card so I hand her another and she does the same thing. I watch her eyes as they move across the words. I am totally stunned. We went through several cards and then she drifted back to sleep. Later that morning one of her sisters and her husband stopped by. Michele woke up and her sister started handing her cards and again Michele read them. Her sister asked if she remembered this one cow girl and Michele took her hand and made a so, so gesture with it. Michele interacted well with company today and then she would have to take a nap. She held her moms hand as her mom spoke to her and would give a faint smile every now and then. I got to see her stubborn streak today when I tried to brush her teeth. She held my arm back and gave me one of those "no" looks. No doubt what she was communicating. We watched her right leg and arm twitch as she was dreaming today. Overall another good day. Keep up the good work my prayer warriors. Good night and God bless."

Good news!!

01/20/2020 pm. "Today has been one of those sleepy, recovery days. I managed to wake her for 30-40 min and get some interaction out of her. We caressed each others hands until she drifted off to sleep and began to dream. All her vitals are good. Neurologist said she would have some days like this. After her two active days in a row, I am not surprised. Thanks again for the continued prayers. Good night and God bless."

01/21/2020 pm. "This update per family and friends. Michele had a very active and stubborn day. Lot of movement and she kept trying to remove all her lines. She had to be restrained. She appeared restless. Surgeon visited her and will contact me this week to schedule her gall bladder removal. Unfortunately this is all I have for today. Keep the prayers coming. Goodnight and God bless."

sometimes i wonder if they are trying to tell us something - i know we all think in rational terms of what well people think , but , wonder if sometimes we miss the signals of those that are having rational thought without the ability to communicate ? i only mention this because my aunt - she was a county nurse - when she fell and broke her hip in later years and had a stroke in the interim , actually refused some attention , not sayin thats whats going on -just wonderin if we miss things sometimes , 

i am hopeful and prayerful for a complete recovery , my prayers will never cease 

im happy to hear that - i meant nothing ill , i do not know her and was randomly reading the updates and reflecting of past life , sometimes my mind wanders to other instances that may have no relevance at all , i only hope for the best and pray for a full recovery , 

i agree , 50 is a relatively young age , not fair to be stricken at such a young age , not fair at all , please know i have kept her in my prayers , 

FWIW i read this often hoping for good news and am always expecting to read that one day i will get the opportunity to shoot a shoot before im gone with velvet glove , there are far too many of us passing away without such opportunities these days , please keep delivering the good news we all hope for , 

01/22/2020 pm "This update from family and friends. Michele had a very active and alert day. The physical therapist was able to get her to sit on the side of the bed and he mentioned she responded well to requests. Surgeon is delaying gall bladder surgery for a few weeks. Yet another positive day. Thank you my prayer warriors. Good night and God bless."

01/23/2020 pm. "Some good news today. They were able to reduce Michele's trache from an 8 to a 6. She is breathing well and keeping her oxygen content from 96-100% while I was there. The procedure made her sleep most of the day. Her sister Betty was able to wake her and get her to brush her teeth. When I arrived this afternoon, I got a quick glimpse and then she stroked my beard a few times and drifted back off to sleep. At 430 she woke up a little more and we spent some quality time caressing hands and she stroke my beard some more. I even got a few smiles out of her. I spoke with the case manager today and maybe next week Michele will be moved to a rehab facility where she will receive a demanding physical therapy program. Thanks again for all the thoughts and prayers. Good night and God bless."

Prayers still going Up from Way Up Here ....

Our Church Board sent Prayers Up for Healing this Wensday. 

God Bless

Jabez Cowboy

01/24/2020 pm. "Michele had a very active and restless day. She seemed very anxious and could not seem to get comfortable. I'm sure I would be the same is I had to lay in bed for nearly 2 months. She kept trying to remove her gown and bed sheets. When I got there the respiratory therapist was working on her and brushing her teeth. I got a quick smile and then she passed out stroking my beard. She really wore herself out today. As she was sleeping, I saw considerable movement of her right foot and right hand. All good signs. Tomorrow is her spa day so I hope she is awake and alert to enjoy it. Keep up the good work my prayer warriors. Good night and God bless."

I had a fall in June and the result was very similar to a stroke.  Everyone associated with her should realize she is still in there, she just has trouble communicating.  She will need infinite patience.  Simple things can be insurmountable.

01/25/2020 pm. "Michele had a good day. I was greeted with a nice smile when I walked in the room. I asked her if she was ready for her spa day and her eyes got real big and I got another big smile and a head nod yes. I started with a foot scrub and I asked her if it felt good. I got another head nod yes. The content look on her face was priceless. Her mom started with moisturizer on her feet, legs, hands, and face while I continued washing her hair with a shampoo cap. Michele helped me put the cap on and even helped placing her hair under the cap. As I was washing her hair she was getting a scalp massage at the same time. Between her mom and myself, we relaxed her so much that she fell fast asleep. She got a good 4 hrs nap and then was awakened by a special 4 legged furry friend. The interaction between them was priceless! Michele could not stop petting and caressing her. The respiratory tech placed a speech valve on her trache today. While we did not get her to speak we did hear sounds whenever she would cough. I watched her fall asleep and then called it a day. Such a positive day for her. Keep the prayers coming. Good night and God bless."

01/26/2020 "My angel had another good day. She was very active and alert most of the day. So active in fact, we thought she was going to try and crawl out of bed. She responded well to us although we did not always understand what she was trying to communicate. She is fist bumping the nurses now and waving buy when visitors leave the room. The thing that brought us all to tears was when she blew her mother a kiss goodbye. Not a dry eye in the room. The nurses are still so impressed with her progress and calling her their miracle patient. Her mother let her read your facebook replies and I honestly think she is able to read them. Some even made her smile. I will have to continue this when I see her next. Thank you all for the thoughts and prayers. Good night and God bless"

I Have been reading through all of this and I am very pleased to see this very brave woman’s progress, coming back from a stroke.  Who knows how and why these things happen?  Much of it brings sadness and tears to the eyes, but In many ways, Michelle’s difficult journey back is very positive and inspirational.  Keep pushing back, Velvet.  My prayers are with you.  That good fight is one you can win.  You are an inspiration to all of us. 

My prayers have gone out for Michele, her family, and circle of close friends.  And, thank you Allie Mo, for transferring these updates on Michele’s progress to the Wire.  

Cat Brules

01/27/2020 pm. "This update from family and friends. Michele had another good interactive day responding well to requests. My dad said she showed good hand eye coordination with her left hand. Nurses still impressed with her progress. Please keep the prayers coming. Good night and God bless."

Many prayers, a lot of love, and some very good medical people appear to be working here.  This is the nightmare that we all worry could happen to our family or good friends.  It's great to see such progress being made, and such a community gathering of prayers and spirit in support.   Let's all hope and pray the improvements keep on coming.  

REALLY GOOD NEWS :wub:

01/28/2020 pm "I just received some very good news today. Michele is being moved to the rehab center tomorrow to begin very intensive therapy. We have been waiting anxiously for this to happen. She had a very interactive and alert day. Her cousin from Louisiana visited with her most of the day. She really liked what she saw with Michele's progress and interaction. Michele is definitely trying to communicate, still not talking yet. Nurses are going to miss her but they know this is part of the improvement process. Still more answered prayers. Keep them going. Good night and God bless."

18 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

REALLY GOOD NEWS :wub:

01/28/2020 pm "I just received some very good news today. Michele is being moved to the rehab center tomorrow to begin very intensive therapy. We have been waiting anxiously for this to happen. She had a very interactive and alert day. Her cousin from Louisiana visited with her most of the day. She really liked what she saw with Michele's progress and interaction. Michele is definitely trying to communicate, still not talking yet. Nurses are going to miss her but they know this is part of the improvement process. Still more answered prayers. Keep them going. Good night and God bless."

This is Fantastic News!! :wub: :wub:

01/29/2020 pm "This update from friends and family. Michele had a slight setback today. She developed a fever that prevented her from getting admitted to rehab. They are thinking she may have a uti due to the catheter. Hopefully she will be admitted tomorrow. She had a good interactive day and had some voluntary movement of her right arm. She continues to show some improvement each day. I will take those baby steps all day long. Keep the prayers coming. Good night and God bless."

01/30/2020 pm. "So sorry. I got busy with work and forgot my daily update. Per family and friends, Michele had a good day, mainly resting. My mom observed some more voluntary movement of her right arm. The best news though came from her sister Betty. Betty asked Michele a question and she received a verbal " un huh" answer. She asked another question and received the same answer. These are the first words she has spoke since Dec 4. This actually made my day! Yet another baby step as a result of all the prayers. Please keep them coming. Good night and God bless."

01/31/2020 pm. "My angel was admitted to CHI rehab center this afternoon. Yet another blessing. She will begin her intensive therapy tomorrow, 3 hrs a day. I was told by her mom, aunt, and uncle that she tried to communicate with them by saying 3 words. They were not quite sure what she said but at least she is trying. She tried so hard to talk to me this evening but could not quite get the words out. She was very active this evening and I saw voluntary movement of her right leg and right hand. Keep the prayers coming. Good night and God bless"

2 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:
01/31/2020 pm. "My angel was admitted to CHI rehab center this afternoon. Yet another blessing. She will begin her intensive therapy tomorrow, 3 hrs a day. I was told by her mom, aunt, and uncle that she tried to communicate with them by saying 3 words. They were not quite sure what she said but at least she is trying. She tried so hard to talk to me this evening but could not quite get the words out. She was very active this evening and I saw voluntary movement of her right leg and right hand. Keep the prayers coming. Good night and God bless"

Best news so far!!!

We'll keep on with the work of the Prayer Posse.

Do your best to keep her from getting discouraged when she has trouble communicating!!  It’s important to keep her spirits up now more than ever!!

Still sending out prayers for a speedy and complete recovery!!

02/01/2020 pm. "Michele's first day at rehab was a busy one. She did very well but it completely wiped her out. She passed out at 530 pm and was snoring quite peacefully. My mom and her mom arrived this morning and found Michele sitting up in her wheelchair. She was very curious and messing with everything. She figured out how to unlock her seatbelt and my mom told her that she would fall out of the chair if the belt was unlocked. Michele looked at her and responded "I know it" 3 times. Shortly after I arrived, her occupational therapist arrived and gave Michele a shower. Michele helped the therapist out by using a wash cloth and by helping wash her hair. After her shower we went through her mail. She read all the cards intently. Some even making her smile. I was leaving for an errand when I told Michele I was going to steal a kiss. As I approached her face, she placed her hand behind my head and pressed me to her lips. It was the sweetest gesture. I brought her back some puzzles and we played with them for a while. It was amazing watching her put them together. Shortly after that was when she passed out. Overall a very good productive day. Keep the prayers coming. Good night and God bless."

Rockin’ good news!!

02/02/2020 pm. "Michele had a very active night. So active the nurses had to give her anti-anxiety meds so she would sleep. The meds worked so well, she spent the majority of today sleeping. We got her awake this afternoon and she interacted well with us. I brought her the latest SASS Chronicle and she did read some of it. I did not get to hear her say anything this weekend which was disappointing. No therapy today but another busy day will begin tomorrow. Thank you all for the thoughts and prayers. Good night and God bless."

02/03/2020 pm. "This update from family. Michele had another busy therapy day today. My dad got to hear her speak 2 different times. The great news is the trache got removed today. I know she has got to be happy about that. My dad handed her the comic section of the newspaper and she read them intently. He said she really watched the tv today also. So overall, another positive, productive day. Prayer is working. Good night and God bless"

Archived