SASS Wire Forum

Prayer Posse - Velvet Glove

Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217

A little more Knee Mail coming from North of the Medicine Line.

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply
02/22/2020 pm. "First, let me begin by saying thank you for all the get well cards. Michele thoroughly enjoys them, they make her smile. Michele had another good day. We began with her mail. She is opening her own cards now without my help. Next she got to see what her Pappa Freddy and Nara sent her, 3 separate packages. After that it was off for a ride outside to enjoy the beautiful day. I think she smiled the whole time we were outside. Once back in her room we did her homework for the day which she did very well. After that we played with the puzzles her papa sent. After that she was ready for a nap, so I put her back to bed and she fell fast asleep. I do want to point out she talked to me more today and I was able to understand most of what she said. Thanks again prayer warriors. Good night and God bless."

02/23/2020 pm. "Michele had a PT therapy session and the tech told me she walked 18 ft assisted with a walker. Tech also told me that the nerves were firing in her right leg because she could feel the muscles contracting. Michele's mom got to visit today and Michele greeted her with a hug and kiss. We got to see Michele do a silent laugh when we were kidding with each other. Another good positive day. Good night and God bless."

02/24/2020 pm. "Michele continues to show improvement. She did well with her therapies today. I was able to visit her this afternoon and was greeted with big eyes and a kiss. She was also visited by two of her "sisters" and between the 3 of us we had her grinning and silent laughing. The level of improvement I am seeing is very impressive. Her determination and all the prayers are helping her body heal. Wed will be her last day at the rehab hospital. She will be moved to a skilled nursing facility that specializes in rehab of stroke victims. I hope and pray she continues to improve at this facility. Good night and God bless."

02/25/2020 pm. "Got to see my angel for a little bit this evening. I got to see that beautiful smile followed by a hug and big kiss. I was able to understand more of her words when she spoke. She read her cards for the day and then started to pass out. I kissed her good night as she drifted off. She will move to a skilled nursing facility tomorrow. I pray she continues to improve each day. Good night and God bless."

27-FEB-2020

Good going, VELVET!:)

I know from experience that “skilled nursing facilities” all pay the most attention to the patients who get the most attention from their families and extended families and friends who come to visit the patient.  

The rehabilitation facility obviously is not the same as the hospital.

Whether we believe it or like it or not, it is true that patients in these rehab facilities receive unequal treatment.   Those patients who have frequent, regular visits from family and friends who become involved, and ask pertinent questions, boosts the amount and quality of care the patient receives.

So, it is important to visit the patient AND “visit” the caretakers, doctor(s) and other medical staff.  Meeting the caretakers, and medical staff and learning and using their names has tremendous positive impact on the patient’s recovery.

Cat Brules

02/26/2020 "We got my angel moved today to Canyon Springs rehab. She looked a little worried at first, however the kind staff immediately put her to ease. Her new therapy program begins tomorrow. Please keep her in your prayers that she continues to recover. Good night and God bless."

Having recently done a stint in a physical rehab facility, I can attest to what Cat Brules posted above!  Schoolmarm visited almost every day and several of my cowboy friends and band members stopped by. My mom and my sister-in-law also came by once in a while!  Between that and my determination to recover, PLUS my singing, (once my throat and neck healed from surgery) for the technicians and residents had the attendings waiting on me hand and foot!!

(Maybe my singing had them wanting to get rid of me!!  I don't know!!)  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

02/27/2020 pm. "I am being told Michele had a good day today and did well with her therapies. She seems to have adapted to the new place. I hear that she ate apple sauce today. That means her swallow reflex has improved. I am so proud of her. Thank you for the continued prayers. Good night and God bless."

:wub:

02/28/2020 pm. "Got to see my angel this evening. She was fast asleep. Between her therapies and entertaining her sisters today, she was completely wiped out. I did speak to her nurse and she said she did good in therapy. Michele was able to swallow ice chips 25 times today. So well that they are scheduling a swallow study for Monday. All I have for now. Good night and God bless."

02/29/2020 pm. "Michele enjoyed a spa day today. After her spa treatment she had only one therapy session. Once that was complete we went for a ride outside to enjoy the beautiful day. I was able to understand more of her words today. After her ride outside, we went back to her room so she could read her cards and open her packages. Thank you all again for the cards. She really enjoys reading them and they put a smile on her face. After that we took another ride outside. Once back inside we watched a little tv together. Later that evening she started getting tired so I put her back to bed and she fell fast asleep and began dreaming. Good night and God bless."

03/02/2020 pm. "I got in earlier today and was able to see my angel this evening. She was asleep but I was able to wake her. She looked great despite a hard day of therapy. She is doing great with all her therapies. Her speech therapist had her swelling ice chips, lemon water, and chocolate ice cream. She did so well that they scheduled her swallow test for next Monday. I am so impressed by her determination. She did get moved to a private room today so now she has more room to entertain company. Good night and God bless."

Re Michele Hunter (Velvet Glove) from Freddy 03/04/2020 am. "Sorry, forgot my post last night. I was able to see Michele yesterday evening for a couple of hours. The therapists did their job well because she was passed out. I was able to wake her for a short time so she could read her mail. After that we held hands till she fell fast asleep."

03/04/2020 pm. "I was able to see my angel this evening. I found her awake and alert visiting with one of her sisters. She was definitely contributing to the conversation even if it was only one word. She continues to improve even if it's only baby steps. I stayed with her till she fell asleep and started to dream. Good night and God bless."

03/05/2020 pm. "Michele looked absolutely great this evening. She was very alert and communicating better today. I was able to understand more of her words today. Her friends Artie and Sadie sent her a portrait of herself. Absolutely amazing. It made her smile so I hung it on the wall in her room. Thank you Artie and Sadie. She is scheduled for gall bladder surgery next Friday so the drain tube will be removed at that time. More positive steps! Good night and God bless."

03/06/2020 pm. "When I arrived at the rehab, Michele was already in bed. She was sleepy but she woke up to read her cards and visit with me. I understood more of her words today. She wanted to snuggle so I lay beside her, holding her until she fell fast asleep and started to dream. The weather is supposed to be beautiful tomorrow so hopefully we can go outside for some fresh air. Good night and God bless."

03/07/2020 pm. "Michele had a busy day today. Her therapy started at 0830 and she was awake and alert till 5pm. When I arrived she read her cards, opened her huge package from Papa Freddy. Shortly after that, she had company from our dear friends Ken and Sheila. After their visit, we went for a ride outside to enjoy the beautiful day. Once we were back to her room, I treated her to a spa day and then we played with a puzzle. I received permission to feed her ice chips today which she took with no problems. Later that afternoon she wanted to sit beside me on the couch. So I moved her to the couch and we snuggled till she got sleepy. Then it was off to bed and she was fast asleep within 10 min. So, another good positive day. Good night and God bless."

03/08/2020 pm. "Michele had another good day and is getting quite mobile in her wheelchair. She is getting discouraged that she can't make all of her words come out right. She got so upset today that she started to cry. Tomorrow she has her swallow test. If she passes that, the feeding tube can be removed. Friday she will have her gall bladder surgery and get that drain tube removed. Prayer warriors, please keep her in your prayers because she will need your help this week. Good night and God bless."

More prayers for this fair lady.

Let here keep up her spirits and continue to get better.

03/11/2020 pm "I just received some good news. Michele ate her first solid food today since the stroke occurred. She did not eat much but at least she ate something. She will keep the feeding tube until she starts eating enough to maintain herself. She continues to do well in therapy. My dad said she was very positive today. He got her to play name that tune and it made her smile a lot. Good night and God bless."

One hour ago, 03/13/2020. "Michele just went back for her surgery. Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers. Just a note, the rehab is in lock down due to the Corona virus and will only allow family in. As far as I am concerned, if you want to visit, tell them you are family."

1 hour ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

One hour ago, 03/13/2020. "Michele just went back for her surgery. Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers. Just a note, the rehab is in lock down due to the Corona virus and will only allow family in. As far as I am concerned, if you want to visit, tell them you are family."

We are.:)

A few minutes ago. "Michele made it through surgery just fine. Already on her way back to rehab. Thank you prayer warriors. CDC just placed all nursing and rehab facilities on total lock down. They will not even allow family in to see Michele. I spoke with her nurse and she is resting comfortably."

23 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:
A few minutes ago. "Michele made it through surgery just fine. Already on her way back to rehab. Thank you prayer warriors. CDC just placed all nursing and rehab facilities on total lock down. They will not even allow family in to see Michele. I spoke with her nurse and she is resting comfortably."

Outstanding news about the surgery.

03/15/2020 pm. "I went to the rehab today to drop off Michele's cards and pick up her laundry. Since I could not enter the rehab, the nurse was kind enough to facetime me so Michele and I could see each other and talk. Michele looked good however she was upset that she could not receive visitors. I pray this situation does not depress her and set her back. She is not in any severe pain since the surgery because she refuses the pain meds. She does have an ice pack over the surgical site. Good night and God bless."

03/16/2020 pm. "I checked on Michele this evening. She is severely depressed. She refused to get out of bed and do her therapy sessions today. The Dr has prescribed an anti-depressant for her. I am hoping that maybe she has some discomfort still from the surgery that is contributing to the depression. I am going to call in the morning to see if I can speak to her and hopefully cheer her up. Good night and God bless."

03/17/2020 pm. "Well my prayers were answered. They were able to get Michele to do some of her therapies today. She is major depressed. Nurses say she removed items from bedside table drawer and threw on floor as well as removed pictures from the wall. Michele feeds off the positive energy of family and friends during their visits and now that has been taken from her. Please keep her in your prayers. Goodnight and God bless"

03/18/2020 pm "My mom got to speak with the lady over therapy and she said Michele is improving. She is still not eating, however the surgeon said she may not feel like eating for a few days after surgery. Because of the lock down, I believe it is better to mail cards directly to the rehab. That way she knows people still care. The address is:
Canyon Springs Rehab
1401 Park Ave
Hot Springs, AR. 71901.
Please don't send any gift cards to that address because there is no guarantee that I will receive them. Trudy Mae, loved the wolf sign. Can't wait to show it to Michele. Thank you all for everything. Good night and God bless."

Archived