SASS Wire Forum

Prayer Posse - Velvet Glove

Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217

It’s great to hear that Velvet continues to improve.

Our continued prayers and well wishes go out to her, her family and friends.

Again, thanks, Allie Mo, for continuing to post these updates.

Cat Brules

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply
02/04/2020 pm. "This update per family. Michele had another good therapy day. Therapist are impressed how strong she is and are liking the progress they are seeing so far. She does not like the safety belt on the wheel chair. Constantly trying to unlock it. She did not talk any today around my family. All I have for now. Good night and God bless."

...prayers continue from a rain soaked north Alabama just shy of the Tennessee line

02/05/2020 pm. "I got to see my angel this afternoon. I was greated with a smile, hand grab, and a beard stroke. She would answer my questions by nodding her head. Good interaction. Therapy is going well. Hopefully she will try to speak to me this week. She did try to speak to one of our good friends although he could not make out what she was saying. Good night and God bless."

02/06/2020 pm. "I am being told Michele had another good therapy day. Therapist are impressed with her progress. The one thing that she can't stop messing with is the seat belt on the wheel chair. She is constantly opening it. My mom said she appears to want to try and get up from the wheelchair without assistance. Michele does not realize that she is not ready for that just yet. When I arrived this evening, she was already fast asleep and resting comfortably. Good night and God bless."

Glad to learn that the lady is exceeding expectations in her recovery. Unbuckling the seat belt or transferring from/to the wheelchair without assistance will bring the wrath of Kahn upon you. As it was explained to me, "you don't want to be recovering from an injury & stroke at the same time". Best wishes to Velvet Glove.

Vaya con Dios, Keystone

:wub: WOW! Major progress.

02/07/2020 pm. "I visited my angel this afternoon and found her sitting erect in her wheel chair. When she saw me, her eyes got big, and she motioned me to come to her. She gave me a kiss, stroked my beard and you could not wipe the smile off her face. But then the miracle happened. She leaned toward me and in a faint voice she said "I love you". Those were the first words I have heard from her since Dec 4 so you can believe I lost it. I think my heart actually melted. She actually wiped the tears from my face. She had a nice long visit from some of her sisters today and you could tell she enjoyed it. She spoke to them a few times, although we could not quite make out what she said each time. She did communicate well with her eyes and smiles though. By 530 she was wiped out so I assisted the nurse and we put her to bed. Within 5 minutes she was out, sleeping peacefully. You are doing a great job my prayer warriors! Good night and God bless.
One other thing; I received the gift from Roadmaker and RIP A Lot. Michele will love it. Thank you"

02/08/2020 pm. "First let me begin by thinking all of you for the birthday wishes. I arrived this morning and found my angel in her wheelchair. She smiled at me and motioned for me to hug her. We had a great morning together smiling at each other and caressing our hands. I brought all of her mail and she read all the cards intently. She got another card from some cowboy friends in Australia. What a wonderful family the SASS people are! She really liked the hand weaved scarf and the book with all the encouragement stories, and the peacock book marker. When she finished her mail, I asked her if she knew what day it was today. She looked at me intently and I told her it was my birthday. Her eyes got big and she gave me a huge smile. Then she looked me straight in the eyes and said "happy birthday". What a great birthday present and yes the water works started again when I heard this. My angel attempted to communicate with me a few times today however I could not make out all the words. Her smiles were all I needed. This was the best birthday ever! Thank you again my prayer warriors. Good night and God bless."

1 hour ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:
02/08/2020 pm. "First let me begin by thinking all of you for the birthday wishes. I arrived this morning and found my angel in her wheelchair. She smiled at me and motioned for me to hug her. We had a great morning together smiling at each other and caressing our hands. I brought all of her mail and she read all the cards intently. She got another card from some cowboy friends in Australia. What a wonderful family the SASS people are! She really liked the hand weaved scarf and the book with all the encouragement stories, and the peacock book marker. When she finished her mail, I asked her if she knew what day it was today. She looked at me intently and I told her it was my birthday. Her eyes got big and she gave me a huge smile. Then she looked me straight in the eyes and said "happy birthday". What a great birthday present and yes the water works started again when I heard this. My angel attempted to communicate with me a few times today however I could not make out all the words. Her smiles were all I needed. This was the best birthday ever! Thank you again my prayer warriors. Good night and God bless."

What a wonderful Birthday Present. I am overjoyed by her progress! And yes we all have a great cowboy family all over the world.

02/09/2020 pm. "Not much to report today. Sunday is the rest day at the rehab center and that is what Michele did most of the day. I did get some good smiles out of her and she told me "I love you". I pray that she has another productive week. Good night and God bless."

02/10/2020 pm. "This update from family. Michele had a very productive therapy day. Her mother said she did very well during the physical therapy. She counted to 10 for the speech therapist and was talking sentences to the therapist however they could not make out all the words. Michele motioned for her dry erase board and is trying to write things. Today she actually said her own name for the first time. She is very determined and constantly trying to stand up from the wheel chair on her own. Not quite ready for that yet. Bottom line, more positive progress. This makes it tolerable when I have to be working away and can't get to see her. Thank you my prayer warriors. Good night and God bless."

02/12/2020 pm. "Michele continues to show improvement every day. During her therapy sessions, she does everything the therapist ask her to do. She is speaking more. Her biggest challenge is her right side. I have a feeling that she will conquer that challenge soon. She has come too far not to. Keep up the good work prayer warriors. Good night and God bless."

02/13/2020 pm."They tell me Michele continues to improve each day. Her speech therapist was very happy with her progress. I will get to see her tomorrow afternoon. Thank you colonel and Louise. My mom said Michele got the Rose's today. Wish I could have seen her face. Good night and God bless."

02/14/2020 pm. "I got to see my angel today. I entered her room with a bouquet of yellow roses. She gave me a big smile, took the roses from me, looked at them and smiled again. She took her Valentines card from me and read it. She then gave me a big hug and a kiss. I wished her Happy Valentines Day and then she responded by telling me Happy Valentines Day. I was totally blown away. What a great V day! The physical therapist told us that she walked today, 5 strides with each leg. Every week we see more improvement. Her sister brought her a very cute shirt and on the front it says "Freddy's Angel". I could not agree more. Michele started to get tired, so I asked her if she wanted to go to the bed or recliner. She thought and pointed to the bed. I helped her to bed and she fell fast asleep. All of the staff at the rehab says she is a miracle in the making. Thank you prayer warriors. Good night and God bless."

Never have met Velvet Glove and due to where I live likely never will but I follow her story every day.  So glad she has love surrounding her and happy she is able to return that love.  Her progress is remarkable and an inspiration to all.

Now!!  The news is better all the time! 

I think she’s got the bit in her teeth, so we’d best hold on for the ride!!

MIRACLES!!  You see what prayers and support can do??

Please tell Velvet that, with Allie Mo’s good efforts, we’re continuing to follow her progress, and that we’re all continuing to pray for her, you and your family as she improves.

Cat Brules 

02/15/2020 pm. "Had a very good day with my angel. She read all 17 cards she received and I think she got a little irritated with me because I was not opening them fast enough. After her cards, she got her spa day today. She was so relaxed she almost fell asleep. After the spa treatment we did her homework from the occupational therapist which was a word matching quiz. She concentrated on the words, motioned for the dry erase marker and went to work. She did it perfectly, with no mistakes. After a restroom trip, in which she told me she needed to go, she was pretty wiped out the rest of the day. Her therapy during the week is intense so she uses the weekend to recover. She was sound asleep when I left for the evening. Thank you colonel and Alice and Summerfall-winterspring for the gifts. Keep up the good work my prayer warriors. Good night and God bless."

02/16/2020 pm. "Found my angel awake and alert this morning. Got my hug and kiss first thing. Next she read her cards. Shortly after that it was her shower time. Once the tech finished her shower, I dried her hair and brushed it. I asked her if she wanted some fresh air and she nodded yes. We went for a ride outside to enjoy the beautiful day. She had a smile on her face most of the time.
We went around the huge parking lot twice and then we went for a ride in the hallways so she could see the beautiful pics in the hallway. We went back to her room to play her matching game and had her complete a puzzle. After that I left to go home and bring back her surprise. Thank you Betty for posting the videos for me. My angel got to spend some good quality time with her special baby, Astrid. I don't know who was happier, Michele or Astrid. Michele's smile was priceless. Keep the prayers coming. Good night and God bless."

On 2/14/2020 at 9:27 PM, Dream Chaser, SASS #79316 said:

Never have met Velvet Glove and due to where I live likely never will but I follow her story every day.  So glad she has love surrounding her and happy she is able to return that love.  Her progress is remarkable and an inspiration to all.

She is a beautiful woman and deserves all of the love and praise being offered in this thread.

02/17/2020 pm. "Per family, Michele had another good day. Therapist report she did everything they asked her to. Speech therapist was very happy with her progress. My dad stated Michele said several things to him today. She has learned how to move around in the wheel chair. Dad said she moved all around the room tidying things up. So overall another good day. Good night and God bless."

02/18/2020 pm. "I got off work early today so I surprised my angel by driving to Hot Springs. She was in her speech therapy session when arrived. I was greeted with a huge smile when she saw me. The speech therapist said she did very well and even sang the last verse of row your boat to her. We visited together until she started getting sleepy. The nurses helped her to bed. I laid down beside her and Michele placed her arm around me. We snuggled till she fell fast asleep. Made my day getting to see her. Another positive recovery day. Good night and God bless."

02/19/2020pm. "This update per family. Michele continues to improve during her therapies. My dad noticed that she is starting to use the right side of her face more when she speaks and smiles. She is starting to experience pain on her right side as the nerves start to heal, which is a good thing. Keep the prayers coming. Good night and God bless."

I have always believed prayer worked!  This amazing woman’s progress just affirms my belief.  I think the thousands of Cowboy prayers have been heard by the Lord and he has decided to give us this lady back!  Keep praying folks, I believe the Velvet Glove I know and love will be back sooner than anybody could have imagined.  Maybe consider changing her alias to “Miracle Woman”!

A long slow process but sounds like improving every day. Glad to here she is continuously  moving forward. Prayers will continue to come for her and Freddie. 

Doc and Pinky. 

02/20/2020 pm. "Michele continues to show improvement. The speech therapist was able to get Michele to eat ice chips today. If she is able to repeat it tomorrow, they may try apple sauce. We found out today that the insurance is forcing her to a reduced level of care since she has showed improvement. Monday will be her last day at the rehab hospital. Case worker is finding her the next level of care at a nursing rehab center. As soon as we find out where, I will update everyone. Please continue the prayers. Good night and God bless."

I had the same issue with my rehab last month!  Fortunately for me, I was ready to leave except for my daily IV antibiotic infusion! The insurance company wouldn’t pay for home health care to administer the IV and they wanted me to check out five days before the IVs were to end!

The administrator filed an appeal and it was accepted, but I had made arrangements to receive my antibiotics orally for those last five days, so I checked out and went home!

If her doctors or therapists agree that she needs further treatment at the level she’s receiving now, they should file any appeals that they can!!

02/21/2020 pm. " saw my angel today and was greeted by a smile, hug, and a kiss. She continues to show improvement with all her therapy sessions. Her occupational therapist had her put on her own shirt without any help. She also was able to put a shoe on her left foot. They tried feeding her apple sauce and thickened fluids today however her swallow reflex is not quite ready for that. She continues to try and converse although you can't always understand all the words. We went for a wheelchair ride down the hallways and she looked intently at all the pictures on the walls. One wall had pictures of 3 different flowers and she said the name of all 3 flowers. I am so thankful for all the improvement. Good night and God bless."

Archived